Anyone OC'ing a 4770k with air?

Rob94hawk

2[H]4U
I used to have a Swiftech H220 but it crapped out. Twice. So I'm going air.

I have an Inwin D-frame open case so I'm up for anything.

Recommend? Thanks

TRUE140 or TRUE120 if you prefer.. cheap and with major leagues performance without add too much weight to the mobo, but i'll tell you something if you have never delidded, that's your first step and even things like CM Hyper 212 will offer a great job cooling it as the heat of those tiny chips is really minimal even with high overclock.

if you want to go to the big leagues then Cryorig R1 would be one of my first choices together with TR Silver Arrow, Noctua NH-D14/D15 and Phanteks PH-TC14PE without any specific order as they are very close in therms of cooling performance and noise and as you are using low profile RAM you will be fine with any of those choices.

try a Corsair all in one cooler. Should last longer than you'll keep your motherboard and processor. they put 5 year warranties on them.

The h110i gtx I just installed is phenomenal. It's 20* c cooler than my former H70 (which I ran with a single fan). The h70 would run my overclocked 4770k CPU at about 70*C. At the same voltage and Ghz - the h110igtx barely broke 50* C. Both are silent the way I run them. I was able to overlock an extra 500mhz to 4.5Ghz on all cores with the H110i GTX. With the H70 I tried 4.2Ghz on all four cores but I didn't feel comfortable with the heat, now I'm at 4.5Ghz and hitting 69-70*C temps after 8 hours of continuous torture tests, and it's silent on "silent mode" I think the h115 is about the same thing rebadged if you are looking for the best price.

The Corsair software is slick too. (change color to anything, change fan speeds, change pump speed).

I do not have a 4770K but I am clocking the daylights out of a 4690K... I am 800MHz over stock on an Intel Core 2 Quad copper core cooler

photbucket shrinks it but you get the idea

system%20setup.jpg

the clock multiplier is 8-43
Radeon is 1055Mhz
Ram on Radeon is 1350

Last edited:
try a Corsair all in one cooler. Should last longer than you'll keep your motherboard and processor. they put 5 year warranties on them.

The h110i gtx I just installed is phenomenal. It's 20* c cooler than my former H70 (which I ran with a single fan). The h70 would run my overclocked 4770k CPU at about 70*C. At the same voltage and Ghz - the h110igtx barely broke 50* C. Both are silent the way I run them. I was able to overlock an extra 500mhz to 4.5Ghz on all cores with the H110i GTX. With the H70 I tried 4.2Ghz on all four cores but I didn't feel comfortable with the heat, now I'm at 4.5Ghz and hitting 69-70*C temps after 8 hours of continuous torture tests, and it's silent on "silent mode" I think the h115 is about the same thing rebadged if you are looking for the best price.

The Corsair software is slick too. (change color to anything, change fan speeds, change pump speed).

Have you this setup in push/pull or just push or pull? You are saying silent, how's the perceived sound? At max these are supposed to go to about 45 dB?

Have you this setup in push/pull or just push or pull? You are saying silent, how's the perceived sound? At max these are supposed to go to about 45 dB?

At "performance" they are quite loud. At "balanced" okay. But on "quiet" operation with just the two included 140mm fans, both pushing through the rad out the top of my case (fans on inside pushing up through radiator) and the pump slowed to <2,000 RPM which is part of "quiet' operation. I cannot hear the h110i gtx inside my Cooler Master Cosmos 1010 case which is on the floor at the side of my desk. The fans are spinning at <800RPM. I THINK I EVER so slightly hear the AMD Fury X water color which fan is spinning at 940rpm. I can't imagine this tiny tiny tiny level of noise bothering anyone. It's so quiet you have to strain to hear it --- with both water cooling systems running and the other several fans in my system. (I purposely chose all quiet stuff though). Both watercoolers are exceptionally quiet and not even disturbing at load.

My speeds and temps. OC on the CPU to 4.5Ghz. OC on the VidCard to 1,100Mhz. Everything Idle - but CPU locked at 4.5 Ghz on all four cores all the time. (4.5Ghz if the machine is on)
30uahiq.png

Tweaktown says the h110i GTX is the best cooler they've tested - by a long shot. I've much less experience with coolers than a review site - but I can't imagine it getting much better than this. I am very pleased with this cooler.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/73...formance-liquid-cpu-cooler-review/index8.html

Last edited:
Back