Anyone moved lately from iOS to Android? Thoughts?

CONS
- Not as reliable UI experience as iPhone. Apps would slow down over time (noticeable lag when switching between apps or going back to home screen etc.). I get auto-notifications from Samsung TouchWiz to reboot the phone for "bettery consistent performance" and it doesn't lie, I have to manually reboot the phone every 3-4 days to maintain fast UI experience. This is on arguably 2016 Flagship specced phone (same Snapdragon 820 and 4GB of RAM as Note 7). Not cool.
- The apps crash from time to time! Especially the camera which is super annoying. I have the "double-tap home button to quick-launch camera app" feature enabled and 1 times out of 10 it will say "Camera app has stopped, please restart". I missed many a candid photo op due to this. Lame.

For me, I'm heavily invested in the Google ecosystem (Gmail, Keep, Google Play Music, etc.), using an Android phone makes more sense for me. Gmail sync would take noticeably more time on an iPhone versus new emails come instantly on an Android phone. I'll miss the reliability of the iPhone but like the extra flexibility of Android.

That's 100% a samsung thing. I have an HTC 10, S7 and the S7 Edge, and the HTC is definitely a lot snappier over time.

That's 100% a samsung thing. I have an HTC 10, S7 and the S7 Edge, and the HTC is definitely a lot snappier over time.

Yeah, this is what happens when the OEM's mess with the Android framework.

They need to just leave it alone and not go for differentiation in the OS. Just keep the framework the same and ship it with your own launcher if you really want to be different so badly.

Samsung definitely has the shittiest OS team out of the major vendors. My $150 Xiaomi Note was faster in real-world day to day performance around my $650 Note 3 despite having a much slower SoC. That alone heavily moved me over to the iPhone camp the next time when I want to spend flagship-class money on a phone.

Yeah, this is what happens when the OEM's mess with the Android framework.

They need to just leave it alone and not go for differentiation in the OS. Just keep the framework the same and ship it with your own launcher if you really want to be different so badly.

IINW, it's not just the OEMs that are screwing up the OS, the component vendors also flat out abandon driver support for anything that isn't their latest and greatest. Nobody in Android gives a damn about the very thing that Windows does 100% right for a incredibly fragmented hardware base, and nothing is going to change as long as there are still desperate OEMs out there dumping phones for misguided beliefs about marketshare and the chance of being the next Apple.

Last edited:
Samsung definitely has the shittiest OS team out of the major vendors. My $150 Xiaomi Note was faster in real-world day to day performance around my $650 Note 3 despite having a much slower SoC. That alone heavily moved me over to the iPhone camp the next time when I want to spend flagship-class money on a phone.

Oh no... You haven't used LG lately, or Huawei. AWFUL.

The Note 3 was fucking abysmal. The new touchwiz is miles ahead by comparison, to the point where I actually like the features (with a different launcher). But it just bogs down WAY too easily.

All this has me reconsidering whether to stick with my 10, especially since I've had an annoying fast battery drain problem that popped out of nowhere over the past week. Even a factory reset didn't fix it. It's got me now thinking about going back to an iPhone.

I've had the same issue with my Note 5 and the fast battery drain from nowhere. I'm rolling with my Lumia 1520 for now but contemplating going back to an Iphone.

Well, I just got my $180 Xiaomi Mi Max as a portable video player + backup phone. MIUI + dualcore 1.8GHz A72 = an incredibly snappy experience. I'll dare say on par or even faster in app loading than the Samsung Exynos S7 that costs 3x as much. OLED is great, but not worth ~$400 more.

The iPhone SE will still be my primary driver though.

Well, I just got my $180 Xiaomi Mi Max as a portable video player + backup phone. MIUI + dualcore 1.8GHz A72 = an incredibly snappy experience. I'll dare say on par or even faster in app loading than the Samsung Exynos S7 that costs 3x as much. OLED is great, but not worth ~$400 more.

The iPhone SE will still be my primary driver though.

I'm occasionally tempted by the likes of Xiaomi, One Plus, Huawei, Honor, etc. but then when I think more about it, I can't bring myself to ever buy a Chinese designed phone. They simply can not be trusted.

It's bad enough that all the major brands manufacture there these days, but putting design control in Chinese hands is just one bridge too far.

Stock roms are probably recording EVERYTHING you do and phoning it home to the Chinese government, and if you replace the Roms, they probably have firmware that reinstalls the spyware on first boot.

You simply can not trust the Chinese. You think the Cisco-NSA thing was bad, a totalitarian regime where leaders are not held accountable before any law or constitution is orders of magnitude worse.

First of all, I'm from Taiwan. If there's a country who hates China more than anyone, it's Taiwan. But China is highly profitable. So one must do business with China.

Now let's address this all Chinese companies install spyware that reports to the Chinese government conspiracy theory... Huawei is like the only major company with direct ties to the Chinese government. China doesn't have very much regulation either. Asking these tech companies to spy for them would be an unpopular regulation that will bound to get some complaints. The government of China is not that far from the government of America at this point in history in terms of freedom, spying, and transparency..

First of all, I'm from Taiwan. If there's a country who hates China more than anyone, it's Taiwan. But China is highly profitable. So one must do business with China.

Now let's address this all Chinese companies install spyware that reports to the Chinese government conspiracy theory... Huawei is like the only major company with direct ties to the Chinese government. China doesn't have very much regulation either. Asking these tech companies to spy for them would be an unpopular regulation that will bound to get some complaints. The government of China is not that far from the government of America at this point in history in terms of freedom, spying, and transparency..

If I remember correctly, Xiaomi and Huawei directly work with Chinese Government for surveillance purposes, people found a lot of data dump from network traffic on their produced modem also. There is a reason why we don't see any Huawei network hardware anywhere in the state (outside of Cisco contract, which Huawei stole most of its technology from).
Also, one big reason why most country didn't bother with their TDD LTE system. WeChat / QQ is one of the most well-known backdoor chat program sponsored by their Government too.

Their government involvements are everywhere.

For all the Google's talk about Doze in Marshmellow, it's embarrassing how a 4850 MAh phone running 6.0 without any messaging/social apps still manages to 4% drop in battery overnight while the iPhone with them still remains at 100%. That's somewhere about a 10x faster standby drain.

And the Android guys wonder why people buy mostly stopped spending big on Android when important things are still done half-baked.

For all the Google's talk about Doze in Marshmellow, it's embarrassing how a 4850 MAh phone running 6.0 without any messaging/social apps still manages to 4% drop in battery overnight while the iPhone with them still remains at 100%. That's somewhere about a 10x faster standby drain.

And the Android guys wonder why people buy mostly stopped spending big on Android when important things are still done half-baked.

What phone?

Seems to work fine on my Nexus 5x as well as on my 2013 Nexus 7.

I can't help but wonder if OEM modified code is to blame.

IMHO when it comes to Android phones, it's Nexus or bust.

Samsung, LG, HTC, Motorola, etc. They all can put together decent hardware, they just ruin everything when they mess with the software.

i dislike itunes. i just want to drag and drop. no sync time
i tried apple and although the iphone rarely crashes, samsung has gotten better with their phones too
left the iphone4 and havent looked back. currently on samsung note 4

wifey refuses to get onto android though

I have a Note 7 and have been contemplating switching back to an iPhone for the first time since the iPhone 4. I had a Note 4 before this and both my Note 7 and Note 4 have a frustrating amount of lag. My wife's iPhone 6 feels snappier than my brand new Note 7.

I'm occasionally tempted by the likes of Xiaomi, One Plus, Huawei, Honor, etc. but then when I think more about it, I can't bring myself to ever buy a Chinese designed phone. They simply can not be trusted.

It's bad enough that all the major brands manufacture there these days, but putting design control in Chinese hands is just one bridge too far.

Stock roms are probably recording EVERYTHING you do and phoning it home to the Chinese government, and if you replace the Roms, they probably have firmware that reinstalls the spyware on first boot.

You simply can not trust the Chinese. You think the Cisco-NSA thing was bad, a totalitarian regime where leaders are not held accountable before any law or constitution is orders of magnitude worse.
How does this affect you as an American though?

i dislike itunes. i just want to drag and drop. no sync time
i tried apple and although the iphone rarely crashes, samsung has gotten better with their phones too
left the iphone4 and havent looked back. currently on samsung note 4

wifey refuses to get onto android though

The note 4 was an awesome phone. I'm on S7 now and it's awesome too. I think someone just don't understand how to use android. Android is highly customizable OS and experiences will differ depending on usage and settings used.

Havent read all of the responses but I did this a couple years back when I couldnt wait for a bigger iPhone any longer. Went with a Galaxy Note 3. I didnt mind Android and the flexibility, but I hated the fact that Samsung doesnt feel the need to do anything about OS updates. I scrapped the Note and went back to Apple with a 6s. Been happy ever since. I think though if I went with anything but Samsung I'd probably still be on Android. Samsung has nice hardware but they're terrible when it comes to Android OS updates.

Havent read all of the responses but I did this a couple years back when I couldnt wait for a bigger iPhone any longer. Went with a Galaxy Note 3. I didnt mind Android and the flexibility, but I hated the fact that Samsung doesnt feel the need to do anything about OS updates. I scrapped the Note and went back to Apple with a 6s. Been happy ever since. I think though if I went with anything but Samsung I'd probably still be on Android. Samsung has nice hardware but they're terrible when it comes to Android OS updates.
I went iPhone to Android back to iPhone as well. It was mainly due to updates (not lack there of) that kept turning my phone into a steaming pile of shit and waiting months for a patch that may or may not fix the issue. It really boiled downed to me either getting a 6S+ or wait for the bigger nexus.

I don't see myself going back. Android puts a priority to ensure the services are always running versus the user experience.

I went iPhone to Android back to iPhone as well. It was mainly due to updates (not lack there of) that kept turning my phone into a steaming pile of shit and waiting months for a patch that may or may not fix the issue. It really boiled downed to me either getting a 6S+ or wait for the bigger nexus.

I don't see myself going back. Android puts a priority to ensure the services are always running versus the user experience.
If Apple would give us Android's Back and Multitask buttons along with a better home button (like on the HTC 10), I'd probably never pick up an Android phone, again.

If Apple would give us Android's Back and Multitask buttons along with a better home button (like on the HTC 10), I'd probably never pick up an Android phone, again.
I don't care much for the back button as gestures are very good for doing the exact same thing.

But yea, a better home button wouldn't hurt along with better multi tasking but honestly I'm getting by just fine with app switching on iOS.

Love the home button on the 7, it's one of the things that wows me every time. That being said, I still keep tapping the chin for back and menu/multi =(

i dunno why everyone shits all lover Samsung and their Touchwhiz on S7. It's gotten alot better and it has been using less resources. I have been using a S7 for about 2 and half weeks now and have not had any issues with the phone needing to be rebooted. I haven't had any apps close on me either. I'm running nova prime launcher. I do use close out open apps in the background from time to time and the Samsung smart manager widget to clear the ram every once in a while. It could people maybe need to disable rogue apps that come installed? i dunno this has been my over experience with the Note 4 and S7 Thus far

the new iphone 7 button feels weird almost like the phone is broken. I know you can change the haptic setting in the software but that was my inital impression going from 6s to 7

the new iphone 7 button feels weird almost like the phone is broken. I know you can change the haptic setting in the software but that was my inital impression going from 6s to 7
Agreed. I really wanted it to be like the HTC 10's home button. Maybe that will come with the 8.

What I want to know is how doug_7506 feels about that choice. Remember which Android phone he picked? Remember which phone just saw an unprecedented global recall due to battery fires? Yeah. I'd like to know if he just got another Android phone or if this soured his experience.

I just want to point out something that annoys the hell out of me. Chrome runs better and smoother on my IP7 plus than it ever did on my note 5 and especially my two note 7's. Which is pretty ridiculous. I'm not interested in the reasons or any other bullshit about Samsung's changes took Android or anything else. With the soc that was in the 800.00 note 7 it should have been butter smooth. Instead the arch rivals top tier device runs circles around their own. That annoys me.

Chrome is a pig on Android, no doubt. It's almost surreal that it hasn't been addressed after this many years, and one of the chief Android criticisms that I find totally legitimate.

Chrome is a pig on Android, no doubt. It's almost surreal that it hasn't been addressed after this many years, and one of the chief Android criticisms that I find totally legitimate.

Ya I mean it really annoys me. It's pretty ridiculous and it's annoying to me because I'm still a fan of android and they can and should do better.

TBH, I wish I would have switched sooner. I really loved my Note7. So much so, that I bought a Note5 outright after the recall so that I could save my upgrade for the eventual Note8.

While chrome is a hog on Android, it works so much better than the ios version. On ios I would run into problems on some websites with drop downs and similar interfaces. On android, it has been a pleasant experience.

I find that all the Microsoft apps work better on android. OneDrive in particular.

FastCharging and WirelessCharging are awesome and I use them everyday.

The AMOLED screen is beautiful.

The pen is awesome to have. I was able to sign a .pdf yesterday and email it back to a client yesterday. Mind was blown.

That is just a couple examples. I can honestly not name one thing I miss about my iPhone.

TBH, I wish I would have switched sooner. I really loved my Note7. So much so, that I bought a Note5 outright after the recall so that I could save my upgrade for the eventual Note8.

While chrome is a hog on Android, it works so much better than the ios version. On ios I would run into problems on some websites with drop downs and similar interfaces. On android, it has been a pleasant experience.

I find that all the Microsoft apps work better on android. OneDrive in particular.

FastCharging and WirelessCharging are awesome and I use them everyday.

The AMOLED screen is beautiful.

The pen is awesome to have. I was able to sign a .pdf yesterday and email it back to a client yesterday. Mind was blown.

That is just a couple examples. I can honestly not name one thing I miss about my iPhone.

I hear ya but I feel just the opposite. As time goes on I miss less and less things from my notes and am just enjoying the smoothness and clean feeling of the apps and every day general usage of this device. I've actually been using safari more than chrome lately and I have to say it's a very nice browser also. Ones thing in my experience so far chrome on this device is way smoother than on any of my android devices. I've never had a problem with a page not loading correctly or anything else.

Back