Anyone Interested In A 12 Core Extreme Edition Processor?

At this time I think just 8 core E would be good for price /performance wise .

To me 12 core be more for workstation .

I bought a QX9650 once. It was roughly a grand.

No way I'd ever do that again, the value just wasn't there. When I look back, it was a ridiculous move.

I'm with Cyclone, I'd buy one instantly in the 5 to 600 dollar mark.

why? I would have to see some real benefit from it, esp at that price point (assuming a lot)

So it would cost what? $3k+

No thanks. Maybe if it was around $500.

Agreed. I'll take a slightly lower specced K version in the $500-700 range. But I bet if Intel makes 1000 of these, even at $2-3k, they'll all get sold pretty quick, after all, someone has to be buying those $5k+ boutique gaming rigs.

I bought a QX9650 once. It was roughly a grand.

No way I'd ever do that again, the value just wasn't there. When I look back, it was a ridiculous move.

Me too. Sold it for $450 a year later if I remember too. :(

The only EE I've ever thought was worthwhile first hand was the i7-980x. I still have it, and it's still blasting away. It was $1200, but I price matched it down to $1130. I can still tear through games with very substantial FPS. The price was pretty massive, but for the first 6 core 12 thread (HT) processor outside of Xeons, I felt this amply warranted the purchase. I do not regret my purchase really.

Otherwise most EE's are just clock speed, unlocked multiplier, lower yield, and a hell of a lot of extra money.

In the OP's case, I think it's overkill for quite some time to come.

I'll just wait until 8-12 cores are mainstream and go for $350.

when is the 20-core cpu coming out ?

Number of cores Common names
1 single-core
2 dual-core
3 tri-core/triple-core
4 quad-core
5 penta-core
6 hexa-core
7 hepta-core
8 octa-core/octo-core
9 nona-core
10 deca-core
11 hendeca-core
12 dodeca-core
13 trideca-core
14 tetradeca-core
15 pentadeca-core
16 hexadeca-core
17 heptadeca-core
18 octadeca-core
19 enneadeca-core
20 icosa-core

I want an 8-core at current 6-core pricing. Make this the extreme and maybe that'll happen.

Intel already sells a LGA 2011 12-core w/HT CPU. It's $2,750 retail.

So going by their past record, I'd say it would be roughly $3,500 for an Extreme Edition.

So going by their past record, I'd say it would be roughly $3,500 for an Extreme Edition.

Ouch, no way I would be able to buy it for that much.
On the other hand, I did find a 12 core ES for a grand :D

if it goes for the xeon pricing. I could see some folks picking one up.

I wouldn't touch it at that price. I don't spend more than 300$ on a cpu, haha.

So what would you get for the extra $750? The ability to overclock it? Considering the EEs usually have a lot of workstation/server features turned off compared to the Xeons, that doesn't sound like something anyone is really going to want. If you've got the workload to feed 12 cores, those are probably extensions you need.

A cpu like that would be sick if games actually used all the cores. otherwise only good for development where you need a lot of cores to get things done. I'll pass.

Of course I would, if only I win the lottery tomorrow. You can never have too many cores. ;)

Heck, if you shop around, you build a Windows machine with 32 cores for under $2k. You need to run AMD chips though.

Not at the three grand it is currently offered at. If it were around $1k like a normal EE version of the processor...then I would bite.

Ouch, no way I would be able to buy it for that much.
On the other hand, I did find a 12 core ES for a grand :D

After having lived in the SF Bay Area for a number of years before moving to Seattle, if you poke around Craigslist or Oodle in the for sale/trade section...you can find some deals on the ES version of a processor. It is illegal to sell this because it is considered stolen equipment...but if you want to take the chance, they are out there...just have to be patient. I myself don't think it is worth the trouble.

Back