anyone help with winxphome domain problem

got a slight problem, a winXP home machine came into us today and the client indicated that they were unable to log in, upon further inspection this is due to the fact that it is attemtping a domain login, which i understand winxp home is incapable (by default) of doing....so, i pose the question how can i login to the system and change the option to login throguh a domain or enable domain logins in winXPhome without reinstall/data loss?

any help would be much appriciated, thx guys you make me [H]ard

XP Home cant login to a domain, youd have to install XP Pro.
You could always setup the users domain ID and PW in Control Panel / Users / Network Passwords.
- but youd have to do that for each server the user accesses

Install Windows XP Professional over Windows XP Home, settings will be preserved. Of course the Domain profile will be new, so you'll have to back that up and then restore it.

so there is no way for us to get into the system at all if its trying to log into a domain? the only option is a format?

Methods to allow XP home to log on to a domain:

1. Run an upgrade install of XP Pro over the existing XP home install. Add to the domain in question.
2. Rebuild the machine from scratch wiht XP Pro. Add to the domain in question.

EIther method will work.

im just curious about being able to change it from a domain to a workgroup without having to uninstall/format/upgrade/whatever, isnt there some way of accessing that control without being able to log in?

got a slight problem, a winXP home machine came into us today and the client indicated that they were unable to log in, upon further inspection this is due to the fact that it is attemtping a domain login, which i understand winxp home is incapable (by default) of doing....so, i pose the question how can i login to the system and change the option to login throguh a domain or enable domain logins in winXPhome without reinstall/data loss?

XP Home can't be on a domain (this isn't by default, the OS doesn't have the right subsystems to communicate with a domain), so if the original question you asked is what you are still concerned with, that doesn't make sense.

If what your really mean is, a user has added an XP Pro workstation to their home domain, and we need to remove it from that domain to fix a problem. Or a user has added their home machine (running XP Pro) to your domain and you need to remove it.

The following applies:

To remove an XP Pro machine from a domain, you have to be logged on to the workstation with an account that is a member of the local administrators group. Otherwise, you have to rebuild it from scratch, or reset the local administrator account password with a password reset tool so you can log in with local administrator rights.

You can delete the machine account from the domain, breaking its ability to log on to the domain, but that won't allow you to access the local machine.

I think i may be confusing you about what i acctually mean, allow me to take another shot at it.

A customer has brought me a winxp home machine and upon booting it login is impossible due to the fact that it is automatically attempting to connect to a non existant domain (presumably set by the client) and obviously given win XP homes inability to use domain access it cannot log in.....

My question is if anyone knows a method by which i can change it from trying to log into the domain, it IS possible to get into the system in safe mode so if there are any options or settings available to change the way it logs in through safe mode i suppose my question would be what settings are those?

if it is automatically trying to login...you might want to try to hold the 'shift' or 'control' key down when it is trying to login. This is what was done when autologin was setup on NT4. I wish I could explain it better.

Edit: http://vowe.net/archives/001639.html << allows XP Home pc to join a domain.

chs`amadeus said:
im just curious about being able to change it from a domain to a workgroup without having to uninstall/format/upgrade/whatever, isnt there some way of accessing that control without being able to log in?
If this is what you are trying to do, simply log in using the local admin account, and change to the desired workgroup....then reboot.

Back