Anyone Helium mining?

I ordered a Bobcat miner just over a month ago but its going to be 2-3 more months till it ships probably. The lead time on the Nebra miner seemed like it was much longer and after Bobcat started accepting USDC it was much easier for me to order it.
Edit: At the time that I purchased it (June 19) Bobcat was saying 12-20 weeks before shipping but we shall see how things are doing with global shortages and what not.

Asic manufacturers premining some with the hardware?

Is it profitable on a fpga or cpu? Do many parties already have asics running?

I ordered a Bobcat miner just over a month ago but its going to be 2-3 more months till it ships probably. The lead time on the Nebra miner seemed like it was much longer and after Bobcat started accepting USDC it was much easier for me to order it.
Edit: At the time that I purchased it (June 19) Bobcat was saying 12-20 weeks before shipping but we shall see how things are doing with global shortages and what not.
How did you catch it in stock?

Asic manufacturers premining some with the hardware?

Is it profitable on a fpga or cpu? Do many parties already have asics running?

You dont really mine it like other coins. The miner creates a type of wireless network and its all about the devices you are communicating with and their proximity. Having more in an area can reduce rewards and anything closer than 500 meters is too close so a manufacturer cant exactly pre mine. You should read up on it its a very interesting idea with a lot of utility.

Yes there are lots of devices out there already and you can plug in your address on helium.place and see them and get an idea of where you would fit in to the map. An ideal setup would have other peoples devices all around you in a hex of sorts.

Yes there are lots of devices out there already and you can plug in your address on helium.place and see them and get an idea of where you would fit in to the map. An ideal setup would have other peoples devices all around you in a hex of sorts.

I may take a look in abit but if anyone has answers to the questions.

What is special about these "asics" can I not setup what is essentially an access point with my own hardware.

Is this "open sourse" at all? Decently documented?

I may take a look in abit but if anyone has answers to the questions.

What is special about these "asics" can I not setup what is essentially an access point with my own hardware.

Is this "open sourse" at all? Decently documented?

I think you can actually build your own miner yes and there is documentation on how to go about doing that if you want to . It doesn't use standard wifi though its LoRaWAN (Low power wide area). I wouldn't really consider this an ASIC per say and this is really Proof of coverage you are being rewarded for on the network which is why you can't just buy a bunch of devices and make more token. I don't know enough to answer the rest of your question.

VoskCoin on YouTube is where I heard of it. He’s got a few videos on it comparing the different iterations of hardware. I think the DIY options were discontinued, at least that’s what I read. You get paid for network coverage using token HNT. For a few months there people were making like $1K a day in HNT on a $500 device.
The miners only use about 5 watts and have coverage of a couple miles. You have to share your internet with them on some of the devices - but it’s very low KB type use. It’s meant to make an IoT wireless network with very broad coverage. There’s no point in doubling up, your HNT payment goes way down if there’s already coverage in your area, or if you tried to run multiple devices from the same house.

I think you can actually build your own miner yes and there is documentation on how to go about doing that if you want to . It doesn't use standard wifi though its LoRaWAN (Low power wide area). I wouldn't really consider this an ASIC per say and this is really Proof of coverage you are being rewarded for on the network which is why you can't just buy a bunch of devices and make more token. I don't know enough to answer the rest of your question.
Interesting. I'll have to do some reading. In our area there aren't any devices, but I read you need three for validation. I have a local buddy who has three on order for this very reason, didn't think about how far apart they needed to be etc

So what I'm hearing is find LoRaWAN transmitter, hope its documented well enough to emulate the algo on a fpga or microcontroller and make little devices with 4g internet and a Lipo pack. Stash around as needed.

Interesting. I'll have to do some reading. In our area there aren't any devices, but I read you need three for validation. I have a local buddy who has three on order for this very reason, didn't think about how far apart they needed to be etc

Looking at the devices around me in Vancouver they are all like small mom and pop coffee shops and things like that. I would guess that someone went around to find people willing to "host" devices for them. Since its low power and what not it wouldn't be inconvenient for someone to plug in and just let it go and you could either pay them a fee per month or maybe work out a percentage cut. I happen to be in a good spot where me adding a device will sort of "bridge" some of my neighbors.

My other thoughts on this are I appreciate the idea of a network that is not controlled by big telecom and the cost was low enough that I won't really care even If it never pays for itself.

Looking at the devices around me in Vancouver they are all like small mom and pop coffee shops and things like that. I would guess that someone went around to find people willing to "host" devices for them. Since its low power and what not it wouldn't be inconvenient for someone to plug in and just let it go and you could either pay them a fee per month or maybe work out a percentage cut. I happen to be in a good spot where me adding a device will sort of "bridge" some of my neighbors.
yea ive seen multiple facebook marketplace posts saying they would give hosts 20%

For this to work you need to have at least some overlap, right? So like if you're in a deadzone with no other users to validate that you're providing coverage you can't just set on up can you? It seems interesting but it looks like my area is a total deadzone.

For this to work you need to have at least some overlap, right? So like if you're in a deadzone with no other users to validate that you're providing coverage you can't just set on up can you? It seems interesting but it looks like my area is a total deadzone.
it's only a percentage of the helium you'd mine - but yes to get full profitability you'd prefer not to be in a deadzone. However - unless you live on a bunch of private acreage - chances are something will spring up sooner or later in your area.

about a week where i live gonna leave it here for a bit then look to put on my roof. i think currently its like 12-20weeks to get a bobcat
1629323631844.png

Last edited:
It seems kind of ridiculous that they don't allow you to build your own device any more. Does anybody here have one of these up and running? My home is in a total deadspot, but I'm sure I could find people that would let me place them at their house that is not in a deadspot. Waiting a couple months for the device seems like an issue though with how quickly things can change with this kind of stuff.

They're for sale on eBay for $2000+ for ones that are actually in hand.

It seems kind of ridiculous that they don't allow you to build your own device any more. Does anybody here have one of these up and running? My home is in a total deadspot, but I'm sure I could find people that would let me place them at their house that is not in a deadspot. Waiting a couple months for the device seems like an issue though with how quickly things can change with this kind of stuff.

They're for sale on eBay for $2000+ for ones that are actually in hand.
Too bad the company cannot produce them fast enough. They are 3 times the cost on eBay. These things ROI in no time compared to GPUs.

I’ve been trying to buy a helium miner for a few months. No luck on the waiting lists. Who here is mining and what is your experience, profitability?
I have ordered Helium miner in Auguest paid premium for fast shipment, and got delivered last week, today's yield 3 HNT, ROI sounds good

I've been looking around my area using hotspotty.net and most of the nodes near me aren't earning enough to pay for the miner quickly (6 months+ ROI). Doesn't seem worth it to me right now.

My friend ordered 2 Bobcats in May and they finally arrived last week. He ordered another miner from another company (can't recall the brand of miner) in June or July and they were supposed to be shipped shortly after he ordered it and it still hasn't arrived.
There are very few hotspots in our general area though.

My friend ordered 2 Bobcats in May and they finally arrived last week. He ordered another miner from another company (can't recall the brand of miner) in June or July and they were supposed to be shipped shortly after he ordered it and it still hasn't arrived.
There are very few hotspots in our general area though.

My understanding is that there is more involved than just whether or not there's a hotspot in your area. You actually need others "near" you to validate also.

My understanding is that there is more involved than just whether or not there's a hotspot in your area. You actually need others "near" you to validate also.
Ya, he may put one at a friends house 20 miles away since there are more in that area that can be witnesses.
He is also looking at getting stronger antenna's as well.

Buddy of mine ordered in June as well and his shipped last week. You're almost there!
Yeah i am watching the batches... hopefully its still profitable when it gets here. Not sure how many hnt per day people are making but the price is more then double per coin what it was in june

Bobcat emailes me today that they are expecting a delay to 26 weeks which will mean my miner ships around the end of dec i think

following the batches and it looks like i am a week or so away from my order shipping which i ordered on June 19....

Yay my miner showed up today! Once i get everything up and running I will share some more of my experience.

Back