Anyone heard of any ITX LGA1156 boards?

tvih

Gawd
As per the title, has anyone heard even the faintest of rumors about a mini-ITX board for the LGA1156 socket? There's of course no mini-ITX LGA1336 even yet, with the socket having been out for a while, but I suppose with how much power that took and therefore the thermal requirements, it would've been hard to make it work so well. LGA1156 doesn't have that problem, but I haven't heard anything at all of such boards so far. Anyone else?

I'm looking forward to this too; hopefully Zotac releases a board soon after or even alongside Clarkdale's launch (i3 / i5 w/ on-board GPU). I wouldn't expect it before then because as of right now you need a discrete GPU, which isn't an issue for me (or many of us I'd reckon) but is probably a deal-breaker for a relatively large segment of the target market.

Ah, yeah, didn't think of that, the chipsets right now indeed don't have an integrated GPU... damn. I suppose I'm stuck with the LGA775 platform then unless I go microATX, which I'd rather not (funny to be "stuck" with it, given I just got the new system).

Last edited:
The IGP is mainly just a waste of... something, for this particular computer and its use :D Oh well, I suppose I'll have to wait it out, see what the 32nm Clarkdales will have to offer. Should give low power consumption with nice performance, I assume. Too bad there only seems to be dual cores at least initially for LGA1156 in the 32nm family.

Waste? There's this thing called a HTPC.

Yeah, and I also said "for this particular computer and its use", didn't I? Reading comprehension, people! It's a full desktop system, not just a nettop/HTPC. So an IGP would not be needed. But I suppose mobo makers figure it's too small of a market to target, while a board with an IGP can serve in that segment as well as other segments.

Yeah, and I also said "for this particular computer and its use", didn't I? Reading comprehension, people! It's a full desktop system, not just a nettop/HTPC. So an IGP would not be needed. But I suppose mobo makers figure it's too small of a market to target, while a board with an IGP can serve in that segment as well as other segments.

No you didn't say anything regarding that. What "particular computer", not seeing any particulars at all? We don't need any Eng101 classes.

An ITX system that can match the performance of a mATX is pretty damn hard to be found; those that do are just inches away from mATX sizes. There's a thread on "Is ITX the new enthusiast standard" where the general consensus is.. No.

As per the title, has anyone heard even the faintest of rumors about a mini-ITX board for the LGA1156 socket? There's of course no mini-ITX LGA1336 even yet, with the socket having been out for a while, but I suppose with how much power that took and therefore the thermal requirements, it would've been hard to make it work so well. LGA1156 doesn't have that problem, but I haven't heard anything at all of such boards so far. Anyone else?
Ah, yeah, didn't think of that, the chipsets right now indeed don't have an integrated GPU... damn. I suppose I'm stuck with the LGA775 platform then unless I go microATX, which I'd rather not (funny to be "stuck" with it, given I just got the new system)
The IGP is mainly just a waste of... something, for this particular computer and its use :D Oh well, I suppose I'll have to wait it out, see what the 32nm Clarkdales will have to offer. Should give low power consumption with nice performance, I assume. Too bad there only seems to be dual cores at least initially for LGA1156 in the 32nm family.

No you didn't say anything regarding that. What "particular computer", not seeing any particulars at all? We don't need any Eng101 classes.
Being an enthusiast forum, it's safe to assume he means a compact gaming box by default.

An ITX system that can match the performance of a mATX is pretty damn hard to be found; those that do are just inches away from mATX sizes. There's a thread on "Is ITX the new enthusiast standard" where the general consensus is.. No.
The SG05 is even smaller than a Shuttle H7 and is available at a wide range of e-tailers.

Being an enthusiast forum, it's safe to assume he means a compact gaming box by default.

The SG05 is even smaller than a Shuttle H7 and is available at a wide range of e-tailers.

1 case doesn't make it the norm. Why is it "safe to assume"? That's saying just because this is an enthusiast forum we need to stuff a GTX295 in our HTPCs (or servers). :rolleyes:

Yes, I never listed the specs of "this particular computer" that I referred to. However it is not exactly hard to deduce that I meant my own computer (who else's, as I made the thread and was referring to a "this" computer, and it happened to indeed be the exact computer I was typing the post from, and this one as well). And that being the case, you hardly need to know the specs or even intended use of my computer in order for me to know for myself whether or not I need an IGP for my system. That hardly means that I'm unaware there are situations where it is extremely nice and useful to have. Waste for "this particular computer and its use" does not mean waste for "every computer in existence" to my knowledge.

Of course it can't properly match it, just like netbooks can't match laptops, but not every gamer needs the top system on the block. Granted, I myself am taking a good, hard look at a SG03-based LGA1156 mATX-system right now instead of the ITX system I just got, but nothing's certain yet. Not going back to full ATX ever again though, not if I can help it.

1 case doesn't make it the norm. Why is it "safe to assume"? That's saying just because this is an enthusiast forum we need to stuff a GTX295 in our HTPCs (or servers). :rolleyes:
When that one case is widely available and becomes one of the top sellers among ITX users, it is.

And where did I say anything about installing a full-length video card in a case too small to fit it with a PSU not strong enough to handle it? :rolleyes:

If you think about how long it took for (decent) s775 ITX boards to come out, I assume it will take a long time until we see anything like ITX s1156

Timme, I suppose you're right in a way, but then it has to be taken into account that mini-ITX is still only gaining in momentum, becoming more and more popular. Therefore it's not as likely to take all that long for someone to exploit that niche with this socket as well. Still, of course developing such a board won't happen overnight, and of course all manufacturers went with the most popular (and easier) form factors first.

Timme, I suppose you're right in a way, but then it has to be taken into account that mini-ITX is still only gaining in momentum, becoming more and more popular. Therefore it's not as likely to take all that long for someone to exploit that niche with this socket as well. Still, of course developing such a board won't happen overnight, and of course all manufacturers went with the most popular (and easier) form factors first.

I agree :)

Plus, as mentioned here before, no ITX board without IGP chipset.

I really wish someone would release a P55 ITX board though, the chipset seems perfect for ITX treatment. :(

h55 is only a couple of months away, so you should assume motherboard makers did some market analysis and determined that p55 mini-itx wasn't worth it, and h55 mini-itx will be. so hold onto your damn pants.

Back