Anyone have pics of Westinghouse 37" LCD??

Life usually isn't measured as if it was kept on continually. Its usually rated at the user average of about 6 hours a day for TVs. Not sure on monitors.

Cesium said:
i thought lcd's generally have a 50,000 hour lamp life? so that's only 5.7 years if you keep it on continuously...

that makes me feel good, oh yeah i forgot to mention

i got it for about 1750 total, with tax and shipping

they ordered it for me in store, got delivered in 2 days

Yes the backlight halogen bulb has 50K hr life.... but it is only a bulb, replace it for another 50K, etc, etc, forever.

Once the LED backlights come in, then both LCD and backlight will have lifespan way beyond the human lifespan.

Got a ques... If I order this one on BB Online wit the 4 yr warranty.. do they do in-store return instead of shipping it back? and nebody compared this yet to any other 37s? like the Scepter or the Viewsonics?

If you get a service plan they typically include in store service unless a tech can be sent out to your house to fix whatever the problem is. Check with them before you sign the dotted line.

so does anybody have a 37 inch westinghouse monitor on their jerker desk? got any pics? thanks. =)

Okay, after reading this thread (and several others) for the last few days I decided to get this one over the 30" Dell. Main factors were: my dual 7800GTX's are probably NOT Dual-link DVI, so 2560x1600 was a no-go unless I do a $1,000 upgrade to my (fairly) new $3,500 games machine... But, either way, the Dell has no tv functionality built into it... The W has six inputs...

I am used to 2048x1536 for over five yrs now, so the 1920x1080 res is a downgrade, and I am feeling it... So much was wanting for the 2560x1600 upgrade... Oh, well...

But, I got mine NEW (with nothing wrong with it that I can figure so far after 4 hrs of use) from NE Furniture Mart in Omaha for $1513... Hard to resist...

Got the five-yr warranty for $199... Once again, hard to resist...

(In 1990 I bought a $600 VCR from NEFM, and had problems with over-use of it... NEFM did everything for me except declare it a lemon, got fixed every time, promptly too... So, with this warranty being longer and cheaper than BB's best offer, well...)

Anyway...

I've read about a plethora of different potential issues with LCD tvs/monitors... I can't find anything to complain about after four hrs... everything look uniform, I can't see ANY ghosting... Actually, I do see Cox Cable's _AWFUL_ compression artifacts in their digital cable.. Can't fault the W for that, but damn it sure looks awful on a 37" ws...

If there's a dead pixel, it's sure hiding itself very well...

The one thing I don't like that 4:3 shows at full-screen look distorted... I believe this has already been covered that as to the reason... BUT... if you do view it in PBP or PIP, it looks true 4:3... SO I am confused why a PBP/PIP image of 4:3 tv looks like 4:3, but at full-screen it look like it is attempting to make it appear to be WS? and y, I have it on "standard"

or is the image so big I only thinks it's distorted? (the 37" W replaces a 19" tv, so perhaps it's my perception?)

so, my only gripes so far are two things that aren't W related that I already knew going in: 1920x1080 is a downgrade from 2048x1536 for DESKTOP use... For gaming, it's a _CLEAR_ upgrade! Other gripe is the compression artifacts of digital video are more obvious now...

Which reminds me: I have loaded all the games that I plan in the near future to be playing on this thing, and NONE of them gaving me the slightest hassle of switching to native res... Maybe I am lucky... Dunno, mebbe I only play games by real game devs?

Lastly, FWIW, I plugged the monitor in, rebooted my computer, and it went instantly to 1920x1080 on its own, no issues there either...

Crap, I love this thing so much that after only 4 hrs, I was already a pretty decent portion through of HL:S... Never thought a monitor upgrade could make something old into something new again...

ps Far Cry had issues on my system of running stable at 2048x1536, 16x12 was fine... I'm hoping that 1920x1080 is closer to 16x12 for FC, rather than a closer experience of 20x15... Strange thing was I could find exact spots on maps that would cause FC to CTD... But 16x12 would NEVER do this... I only mention this as 16x9 is the next lower res, and I haven't looked yet at how that looks... Unless I want to leap to 4:3 1280x1024 or 1024x768 (or whatever 4:3 modes are available) I have a monster system, it doesn't need such low-res boredom...

oh, pss... It will be interesting to watch the 90th Indy 500 in HDTV.... Let alone Monaco on CBS (HDTV) rather than Speed's typical broadcast... I'm in for a treat within days of buying it :D

Yes. This LCD is badass. I am also very happy with my purchase and I paid full price (bought it when it first came out). W3 FTW!! :D

i awlays wondered, what kinda panel does this thing have? ips? p-mva or whatever u call it?

Tolyngee said:
Main factors were: my dual 7800GTX's are probably NOT Dual-link DVI, so 2560x1600 was a no-go
Supposodly, most if not all 7800gtx's have 1 dualink dvi port, the main dvi port I believe, well i know for a fact that both my xfx 7800gtx's 256mb have a dualink main dvi port, but only for the main port, the other port is just dvi....

I emailed xfx support about this, and they said indeed that they sold there 78s with 1 dualink port.

So there are no problems with view literature, reading web pages, etc... with this monitor? It just seems almost too good to be true for the price. Online I've seen it for as low as 1200$ but I doubt I'd actually buy it online incase something is wrong with it I'd rather just take it to BB, CC, or ultimate electronics as long as they aren't asking too much more for it.

yeah, buy it as a big store like best buy. If its to good to be true like it was for me, pay insurance for 4 years for a peace of mind. An extra 250 which i am sure one day in the very near future ill be glad i paid for it

Almost ready to join the Westy clan.....just ordered the 37w3 during the Crutchfield sale ....got it for $1299 shipped :D . The bad news is backordered but ETA is about 2-3 weeks from now but I should have it just in time for NFL and my Conroe build should be complete too.

Fragster

Fragster said:
Almost ready to join the Westy clan.....just ordered the 37w3 during the Crutchfield sale ....got it for $1299 shipped :D . The bad news is backordered but ETA is about 2-3 weeks from now but I should have it just in time for NFL and my Conroe build should be complete too.

Fragster

Mine came from Crutchfield today!! It looks great connected to my 9300 Laptop. I even jammed 30 minutes of CS Source on the floor. I picked up the nice wall mount to for half price :) It's $299 now and was on sale for $220 I got it for $110. The wall mount weight half of the Tv :)

Mac

xX_Jack_Carver_Xx said:
Yes the backlight halogen bulb has 50K hr life.... but it is only a bulb, replace it for another 50K, etc, etc, forever.

Once the LED backlights come in, then both LCD and backlight will have lifespan way beyond the human lifespan.

then they will have to use the sony/apple "random failure after warranty runs out" chip to make the main board more and more useless till its toast.

its a shame that apple accidentally put a - sign in the warranty chip for ipods.

seriously though thats a great looking screen for what i want but is it progressive for PC input?

DeFex said:
seriously though thats a great looking screen for what i want but is it progressive for PC input?

Yes. It's a LCD, it can't be "un-progressive" :p

morfinx said:
Yes. It's a LCD, it can't be "un-progressive" :p

interlaced is "un progressive" there are lots of LCD TVs which use that!
thats what the "i" in 1080i means.

DeFex said:
interlaced is "un progressive" there are lots of LCD TVs which use that!
thats what the "i" in 1080i means.

LCDs do not display images by alternating between even and odd rows of pixels, unlike a CRT monitor. Almost all modern LCDs are Active Matrix screens. That means that there is a common cathode, and the anode is formed by an array of Thin-Film Transistors (TFT). A switching TFT controls a single pixel and the selected pixel stay on until the next refresh cycle. Describing LCD as interlaced is not valid since LCDs are "progressive" by nature.

However, the INPUT SIGNAL could be interlaced or progressive. In the interlaced case, the signal is converted to progressive internally and each frame is displayed all at once.

I find it annoying that Best Buy Canada still doesn't have the LVM-37W3 model. So far they only carry the LVM-37W1 model so does anyone know if the W1 model is worth buying or should I wait until the W3 model is out?

Skyviper said:
I find it annoying that Best Buy Canada still doesn't have the LVM-37W3 model. So far they only carry the LVM-37W1 model so does anyone know if the W1 model is worth buying or should I wait until the W3 model is out?

Of course it's worth buying. A lot of people on this board has the W1. Just know that out of the two DVI ports, only one of them supports 1080p, the other one supports up to 1080i. If that's an issue for you, then wait for the W3.

Just to preface my display situation.. ever since I scored an open box sony 34xbr960 crt television I've discovered how much better it is than my panasonic LCD. Its the best HD picture I've ever seen. The blacks, colors and details are incredible. I have it in my upstairs living room where the distance is perfect for 34". My panasonic 50" is in a modeled basement where there is more distance. It has a good picture but even with a light lens filter mod the blacks are lacking. I've found I'm watching the 34" crt more and more for movies and hdtv. As they say, size isn't eveything..

After viewing this thread and another westy w3 thread on www.avsforum.com, I'm considering selling my 50" panasonic LCD and getting the westinghouse 37" 37w3 for use as a computer monitor + tv. I think I would get more use out of it as the computer display while still having the ability to play movies and hd tv on it.

Originally I was looking into selling the 50" panny and using the money to upgrade to a hitachi or samsung dlp, instead later targeted a sony 50" A2000. However those sets would all cost me another $1700 at least (not counting a new svc contract), when instead I could get most of the cost of the 37" westy out of the sale of my panny. I also use my pc alot so it might be better use of the money overall as a hybrid computer display. Of course if I wait long enough some really nice 24" or larger pc monitor with better tech might come out. I'm still undecided.

Borrowing a link posted by JKlenk on avs forum here. It is a pretty cool looking armature that can hold an LCD up to 100 lbs.

LCD ceiling mount

MCS_cte.jpg

I'd prefer a hinged armature to that one personally, since it would allow alot more flexibility in positioning. Does anyone know of one that can support the westinghouse 37" ?

I'm leaning toward selling my 50" lcd tv to fund buying the w3 westy more and more.

The westinghouse LVM-37w3 37" is $1259.99 at buy.com with $143.99 for the 24 mo service plan. At bestbuy (online order only) , it is 1349.99 but according to the site there is no extended service plan available for the set. :(

from their web page:

"How do I buy a Performance Service Plan (PSP) on a product purchased online?

When you add a product to your Cart that has a PSP available, "Performance Service Plan" will be noted directly under the "Don't Forget" section. Simply "Add" the PSP to your order. In some instances, the store will have other PSPs available with longer terms and different coverage options. Please contact your nearest store for further details."

The only "don't forget to add" items I get are a bush tv stand and a 2 shelf wall-mount av rack. :rolleyes:

I'd prefer to order from bestbuy since I could return the unit to one of their stores instead of mailing it back if I had to.

In reading further on the buy.com site it seems that the westy is a special returns item too:

"SPECIAL RETURNS POLICY

Due to manufacturers' policies, Buy.com cannot accept returns on this item for any reason. The manufacturer will handle all exchanges and replacements. Please contact the manufacturer directly and they will assist you with repair or replacements. NO REFUNDS ARE AVAILABLE FOR THIS PRODUCT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. THIS PRODUCT CAN ONLY BE RETURNED FOR REPAIR OR EXCHANGE. "

-----------------------------------------------

I had the 4 yr bestbuy plan on my 50" LCD and I had to use it to get repairs 4 times. Two of them were major repairs where the set wouldn't turn had it not been repaired. I wouldn't buy the westy without a solid service plan and local return so I might be out of luck.

I found that crutchfield has free return shipping, and in-home service/repair contract for 5yrs available. The westy is $1299.99 and the 5yr svc contract is $199. This looks to be the best combo for me so far. Unfortunately when I checked my cart again I saw that this display is out of stock at crutchfield :(

I'm going to double check with best buy (on the phone) to see if they will offer a service plan for the LVM-37w3 even though its not offered on their web site also.

Ok so i'm getting new westing house shortly that has hdmi and going to be hooking up ps3/bluray player probably via hdmi.. what should i do about sound?

i got some low price 5.1 with huge sub logitech.. using standard computer jack (sry my audio skills r teh sux)

i realizes this somewhat belonds in audio foruns... but ya

Whacha ya'll think?

I always run my sound on an independent line (digital optical). The only reason I could ever see for me using HDMI for sound is if I bought a tivo unit that for some reason wouldn't get accurate lip-synch any other way.

I still have to call best buy to see if I can get an extended warranty on the mail-order only westinghouse 37" (w3). Their web site doesn't offer the extended warranty but I'm hoping they will allow me to add it if I order over the phone. Otherwise I guess I have to get in line on an internet order at crutchfield.

I guess I missed out on the best buy extended service on the 37w3 that some people reported getting several months ago. According to their web page and its contact number they are not offering an extended warranty on the LVM-37w3, and it is only available shipped (not available for pickup at store).

They do offer the extended warranties on the 42" LVM-42w2, 4-yrs for $249.99, with the 42" display itself at $1599.99, and they also have the 42" in stores or avail for pickup.

I think the 42" would be alittle too big for the 1920 x 1080 resolution, and 37" would already be huge on a desk.

Now I still need to decide whether to wait in line on crutchfield's out of stock w3's or go with buy.com's much shorter extended warranty period and get the w3 right away.

I'm ordering mines from lcdtvs westinghouse 37w3 to canada cause bestbuy only have 37w1 still. they don't ship to canada. :(

My brother has the 42" Westy lcd, and it is really great on his xbox in hd. Haven't had hd set up yet, but it is an excellent choice to purchase, based on just that.

cross forum'ing again.. I decided to host a pic I found on a different forum on my own site so that shouldn't really count as crosslinking. I just like to share display goodness I find on the net.

westy_console-chair.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found a westinghouse 42" w2 within a few hundred of what I can get the 37" w3 for.

My question: Is the 37" a better screen? Does it have a better selection of inputs, better picture, and fewer problems in general than the 42" ? W3 > W2 generally?

I was leaning toward the 37" intially since I will be using the display as a computer screen mounted above/behind my desk. I will also be using it with a dish HDTV feed and HTPC dvd playback). With the price difference on the buys I've found being relatively negligible between the 42" and 37" I'm now undecided. Another factor is that the 42" is available locally which make things alot easier. The 37" models are avail to me online only.

Thanks in advance.

Back