Anyone happy with their UPS?

To the question of... how critical is sinewave technology.

The power you feed your computer with is very important. It is what allows your power supply to function at peak capacity cleanly. And that in turn keeps your hardware running at peak performance longer and better.

Power fluctuation will wear out your components faster. So Sinewave tech for an additional 20-40 bucks to me is worth it.

I have several APC's (three I think). One on the TV, one for the PC, the other in my wife's sewing room. Sewing machines are extremely sensitive to voltage irregularities, worse than PC's even! We have wonky power in our neighborhood with semi-regular little pops to the grind and short (10 second) outages during almost every big rainstorm.
The batteries last 5-10 years and I've had good luck with the cheap replacement ones sold on eBay... they work fine and are half the price of APC's.

I'd like to necro post in this thread, if thats okay.

I've got a system with 8700k and 1080ti and 10603gb and a system with two RX570's.

What sort of battery backup would I need for this?

I really need the sine wave tech, and the battery backup part less.

Do they make just a power conditioner thing that would clean up any power issues.

This is a good read. All my backups are so old they're not even labeled which ones are the actual battery backup outlets.

I use APC just because it's easier to get batteries for. With that said, the internal "board" fries usually after the 2nd replace (anyone from APC want to respond?). UPS's are pretty cheap. I get used to replacing them.

Not sure if I've found a good quality UPS yet. APC does the job, but I think they could do better with regards to lifespan.

I have some 12 year old rack mount APC's in the office. I should replace them due to their age, but these older APC UPS's seem to be more reliable than the new ones.
Replaced the batteries a few years ago, and they continue to work great.

I've bought newer APC's for a different office. The batteries don't seem to last as long, and the UPS's all die after about 3-4 years.
Could be the power at that office isn't as good, so the UPS's get used more, but there shouldn't be that much of a difference.

I have some 12 year old rack mount APC's in the office. I should replace them due to their age, but these older APC UPS's seem to be more reliable than the new ones.
Replaced the batteries a few years ago, and they continue to work great.

I've bought newer APC's for a different office. The batteries don't seem to last as long, and the UPS's all die after about 3-4 years.
Could be the power at that office isn't as good, so the UPS's get used more, but there shouldn't be that much of a difference.

APC isn't quite the same company since they were bought by Schneider Electric.

It's like most big buyouts - for a few years it isn't really noticable... until Mama Bear wants her profit margin increased, and the quality slowly goes down while the price slowly goes up.

All thread I read about APC :) . APC seems the only (or 90%) mfg of UPS'es 'here'.
I use a smaller mfg available in Europe, but there are many. It's Online topology and in 10 years (24/7) I had not have a single "miss" and I'm happy. "Happy" = "it just works as expected".
Being pure sinewave I don't think I'll ever use stepped sinewave again. Even if not Online.
First time I replaced batteries it was about 6 years after purchase. Now the new kit is already about 4 years old and when testing batteries (once every ~2 months) they are almost as much "capacitive" as when I bought them, 2 machines, router, fiber media, monitor, about 30 minutes holf up time.
I keep two surge protector power cord extenders before the UPS because it was expensive too.
Onlines are noisy though but that's about the only drawback (except for the cost and slightly higher internal power draw).
As always, I'm about a better performance/price ratio than just considering the more expensive option. Performance = overall qualities. If you take the cheapest model of any topology or make, it's of course not going to give you the reliability you might expect. It's like any other appliance or thing.

It'll help some. AVR is an integral part of every line-interactive UPS after all.
I question the benefits of AVRs if you use a quality (full-range) PSU. Modern PSUs can handle most mains fluctuations that AVRs are designed to handle.
You'd probably better think about a (line-interactive) UPS for few bucks more, but that again, could not be the best option (cheap UPS) anyway.

It'll help some. AVR is an integral part of every line-interactive UPS after all.
I question the benefits of AVRs if you use a quality (full-range) PSU. Modern PSUs can handle most mains fluctuations that AVRs are designed to handle.
You'd probably better think about a (line-interactive) UPS for few bucks more, but that again, could not be the best option (cheap UPS) anyway.

Guess I'm trying to figure the best way to rule out and protect against some power issues.

In the last 2 weeks, I've had an m.2 ssd stop working, a monitor start displaying horizontal lines, and a motherboard conk out. All less than a year old. Odd...

But a battery backup with enough watts for 2 desktops, each with 2 graphics cards seems to be basically impossible to find, outside of the rack units.

Back