Anyone getting the Dell Mini 9 / Insiron 910 ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 80813
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 80813

Just wondering if I am the guinea pig or not. Ordered mine on the 10th. Should ship by the 25th.

16GB SSD 1GB RAM w/XP no cam.

Nope, I took one good look at the keyboard pictures on Anandtech's article and ran screaming... I plan to use it at school a lot to review/edit code and the re-positioning of a lot of the punctuation keys would just drive me insane. The 4-cell battery is something of a turn-off as well. I'd much rather have a comfier and more familiar keyboard layout and 5-6 hour runtime with a 6-cell battery (i.e. Acer Aspire One, MSI Wind, they're like 1 inch wider but they keyboard layout of either more than makes up for it).

Haven't bought either of those mentioned yet because the Wind is running a lil' high price-wise ($550 w/an 80GB HDD and a 6-cell battery when EEE PC's with a 6-cell are $500 and the AAO is $400) and I haven't been able to find the AAO in stock with the 6-cell battery... Saw it at Newegg twice but didn't act fast enough. /cry The Wind will only come with a standard 2.5" HD, but the AAO has the option of an 8GB SSD or 120/160GB HD's.

Yeah, I took advantage of the bundle deal Dell had and picked one up along with a studio laptop. Saved almost $670 off the full price. I think it will be perfect for what i need it for, flights and getting a bit of work done in the airport. My Mogul phone works great but i need a big more screen and bigger keyboard. Mine is shipping late tho.

What I want to know is has anyone tried to play WoW on it :) :) I would LOVE to get this for my daughter but it would have to play WoW :p

IIRC people have played wow on other atom based netbooks with the gfx settings at minimum levels.

Any idea on the estimated ship date? Right now it says 10/21, which is WAY too far away.

Gah. That date is because of Ubuntu (why, I don't know). It drops to 9/30 with XP.

This has 1 slot for a stick of RAM correct?

I'm really tempted to place my order.....
Is there anything else that may be coming out in the next week or two? I don't want to pay over $400, so I think the middle config of the Dell is my best bet.

Any ideas when This Acer Aspire One is released?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I ordered mine the day it was released (XP, 16GB SSD, 1GB RAM, 1.3mp cam, BT). It's supposed to ship Friday for NDA delivery on Monday. I'm going to bump the RAM to 2GB as soon as it gets here.

I am going to wait a couple months for the cancellations and refurbs to hit the outlet for $250-300.

I ordered mine the day it was released (XP, 16GB SSD, 1GB RAM, 1.3mp cam, BT). It's supposed to ship Friday for NDA delivery on Monday. I'm going to bump the RAM to 2GB as soon as it gets here.

Actually, it just shipped early. Now I'm going to get it tomorrow and will have it for the weekend.

I too am waiting to see the refurb prices.

Would also like a realistic review by somebody who isnt affiliated in any form with anything PC.

I've used a tiny lifebook for a year or so and can get to the tiny keyboard. It's the 16gb HDD that keeps me from wanting to pay retail for one. Hell, I have that much in just pics of boobies.

Just a short update before I get mine.
First off, I just got notice it shipped today (22nd) Delivery is tomorrow (23rd).
Bad news is DHL shipping!!!@! Good news early!

Why did I choose the Mini9 over the Wind and the others?
1, I get interest free financing through my employer.
2, Build quality. Dell has been best the last few years.
3, largest and fastest SSD so far.

I know the battery is only a 4 cell, but I dont usually need battery so it doesnt matter.
Also the small keyboard doesnt play into it much as I am not a very good touch tyopist.

Stand by.

They must be getting them in as it's finally showed up on my Uni's premier site. This only happens if they have them and have more than they think regular people will buy.

Waiting to hear your thoughts on an actual production model. I may be able to get this half price through my uni... or wait on a 4200.

Just to post my thoughts.... mine arrived earlier today I upgraded from an EEE PC 701.

1) I really like the build quality coming from a eee pc it feels very solid in my hands.
2) The keyboard is defiantly different then most other keyboards I am still learning how to hunt and peck for the odd keys but its very comfortable to type on when I am not looking for those keys.
3) The screen is amazing looking but does have a very narrow viewing angle.
4) I threw my 2gig stick of ram from my eee pc in here with no problems.
5) I do notice some slow down when ever the system is going to access the ssd, But I think this has to do with how Dell has the drive setup to compress everything, more on that later if I decided to reformat.
6) I miss having a wireless and HDD light allowed me to figure out when windows was completely done booting.
7) The system does get a little warm over all under heavy use, no more so then the eee I had.
8) Web cam looks great but because the way the screen is built you have to have the screen looking right at you to get everything in view.
9) The glossy finish on the cover while it looks really pretty attracts finger prints like mad, I wish they used the same stuff they use on palm rest for the outside cover seems to repel finger prints a bit better.
10) Just a last note I was able to touch type this entire post (minus the () ) on the keyboard with out any trouble.

More later if you have any questions to ask feel free to post them here and I can try to answer them.

My 910 / Mini came today.
I am very impressed with it so far.
Nice build quality, While the keyboard is small it does feel nice. Only nit so far about it is the Function keys only go from F1 to F10. So no F11 for full screen browser. So I just have to go to View and select Full Screen.
Loading programs on it right now, also have an 8GB SDHC class 6 in it.
Stay tuned for more updates.

can those of you that have already received yours tell me when you placed the order? I placed mine on the 12th, and it still shows "in production" with estimated shipping date of 29th.

I placed my order on 9/4 and it shipped on the 18th. It was supposed to be NDA but Dell F-ed up and shipped it Ground. On top of that, my DHL guy decided to be a dick and claimed we were closed on Monday so I didn't get mine until yesterday.

Positives:
  • The build quality is so much better than my eeePC (though since it cost twice as much, that's expected)
  • Adding a 2GB DIMM worked like a charm
  • You get used to the keyboard. It's actually much easier to use than the eeePC since the keys are larger and the odd positioning of a few keys doesn't bother me like I thought it would.
  • Plenty of free space with the 16GB model
  • Getting rid of Mcafee & other crap made the machine feel MUCH faster.
  • Keyboard has a great feel, much better than Dell's full notebooks from a year ago.
  • Screen, when viewed at the proper angle, looks great.

Negatives
  • The screen's viewing angle sucks. This is made worse since it doesn't tilt completely flat, making it difficult to use sitting on your lap unless you've got it way out by your knees.
  • Mine is missing the WWAN antennas and slot, making that upgrade out of my reach (though since I'll have the E4200 with WWAN, I don't particularly care)
  • The webcam (1.3mp) is noisy as hell unless you're outside or in a VERY bright room.
  • Glossy finish on case attracts fingerprints, as do the edges of the screen since the border is thin.
  • The SSD is a bit slow (probably due to compression, as already mentioned by Prax), things speed up some when you remove Mcafee
  • Touchpad buttons need to be fully depressed to work and they have a long throw.
  • Touchpad comes set to some weird sticky button setting by default that make it difficult to scroll in a browser (just turn it off)
  • No [F11] Key makes using FireFox in full screen more difficult

One other thing I will say is that Windows ships with ClearType disabled. This is probably because it looks like crap and everything is difficult to read with the default ClearType settings. Do yourself a favor and download the ClearType Tuning Wizard as once you change the settings slightly it looks absolutely amazing.

i have one as well, the expected ship date for mine was the 19th.

i ordered it at 8:19 the day it came out.

If you ordered it without XP, those actually having started shipping yet, so you may have to wait.

I ordered on the 10th, shipped the 22nd arrived the 23rd.
Typing on it right now.
First thing I did was nuke McAfee and put AVG on it. MAJOR improvement!

Oh. Mine is expected to ship out on the 29th. I was hoping to get it before then because I'm going on a roadtrip and don't want to lug around my big macbook pro.

Oh. Mine is expected to ship out on the 29th. I was hoping to get it before then because I'm going on a roadtrip and don't want to lug around my big macbook pro.

Heh... I'm actually hoping my E4200 order ships on the 15th (via the right method this time) so I can take that on my honeymoon rather than the Mini.

I got a 6 cell Wind yesterday. Final cost was 478 shipped.

8% live cashback + 50 US dollar MSI factory rebate = 478 shipped through ebay.

Back