Anyone getting a K8N-E Deluxe?

ruffz

Limp Gawd
These boards are supposed to be available really really soon and I'm thinking about making the switch to AMD. Is anyone here getting one too?

No one has reviewed that board so its hard saying not knowing. You should look at the Epox 8KDA3+ or J depending on your needs. The + is currently one of the best overclocking boards for AMD thus far and more stable then the ABIT.

I've been a fan of Asus now through several chipset generations and was looking at getting this board when I was thinking about going A64. For the money and my uses, I decided not to go A64 just yet. If I had the money, this is the board I would probably be going with unless it turned out the board was a POS.

that's a 754-pin board, a total waste as it requires a 754-pin cpu and those only take ecc-registered ram which is slower and more expensive than regular ram. it also doesn't run in dual channel mode. Save your money, wait a little, then buy a 3500+ and some nice ram, be sure to get 2 sticks of say 512mb pc2700 or pc3200.

wait a second.. socket 754 only takes registered ram? I thought that was only with the FX series on 940. so everyone that has an a64 right now needs registered ram? thats the way it looks to me if what you said is true. i was looking at the 3500+ but it's a little out of my price range when it comes to cpu's and i wasn't really looking to go 939 anyway. i was thinking more along the lines of 3200+ or 3400+

Dallows said:
that's a 754-pin board, a total waste as it requires a 754-pin cpu and those only take ecc-registered ram which is slower and more expensive than regular ram.
wrong

ruffz said:
wait a second.. socket 754 only takes registered ram? I thought that was only with the FX series on 940. +

correct, and dont forget opteron-
754 does NOT need ecc ram

Dallows said:
that's a 754-pin board, a total waste as it requires a 754-pin cpu and those only take ecc-registered ram which is slower and more expensive than regular ram. it also doesn't run in dual channel mode. Save your money, wait a little, then buy a 3500+ and some nice ram, be sure to get 2 sticks of say 512mb pc2700 or pc3200.
wow, you're just a plethora of misinformation. Only the 940 fx needs ecc registered memory, via chipsets are the ones that do not run in dual channel. Dallas, whered you get this information from? back on track, Im waiting for a review of this asus board also looks sweet

ok whew... scared me for a second there. i was about to buy the board today but zipzoomfly didn't get their shipment in evidently and it got pushed back a few days to the 28th. i think i'll wait a couple months for cpu prices to drop a bit before deciding what to get.

I just got bored so I checked zipzoomfly again now this is what it says for the board:
Estimate Delivery Time: 07/25/04. :mad: :mad:
Anyone know if there was an official delay for it or if this just applies to this vendor only?

Impu|se said:
via chipsets are the ones that do not run in dual channel
I thought all S754 mobos couldnt run in Dual Channel. If it is only Via chipsets that can't, you've just made me a lot happier :)

Socket 754 processors do not run dual channel. They run single channel only because the memory controller is on the CPU and socket 754 CPUs do not have a dual channel memory controller. They have a single channel only. To have a dual channel non-Registered RAM memory controller you will need to run a socket 939 board and CPU.

Dual/single channel has nothing to do with the chipsets on A64 boards.

The reason I was looking at the socket 754 board and CPU is because it's a lot cheaper than the 939 stuff and has similar performance. Besides, the next upgrade I would have made would have meant a new CPU and mobo anyway so the old outdated socket would mean nothing to me as far as upgrading.

yea I thought so, guess I'll have to stick with single channel then. Mind you, just about anything's better than ym current rig.

There's another option I've been looking at since yesterday, the MSI K8N Neo Platinum. This would be quite the stretch for me since I rarely stray from Asus (even though I have an Abit board now). This is about the only other nforce3 250 board that I would consider buying after looking them all over. It's considerably cheaper than the Asus board, and is available now. If I find myself in the situation of stores having no stock of the Asus when it finally does come out, I think I'll save myself some money and go with the MSI. Here's a link..
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=13-130-457&depa=0

I've heard many good noises made about the MSI, but recently it's come to my attention that the Epox is better, which costs about the same as the MSI here, so I'd give the Epox a looking over

ReNeGaDe* said:
I've heard many good noises made about the MSI, but recently it's come to my attention that the Epox is better, which costs about the same as the MSI here, so I'd give the Epox a looking over

The MSI is the middle ground between the Epox extremes. The Epox J version is cheaper, the + version is more expensive by about the same amount.

So you have to decide if the SATA is important. If it is, then go with the + which has more SATA ports. If its not, then go with the J which foregoes those ports to give you a nice price.

Don't really see any reason to buy the MSI board except for the name or the color of the motherboard. Oh, and the fact that MSI seems to have more support on forums (MSI has its own forum) than Epox. I do consider that a nice advantage. Though a lot of people are currently buying the J mb as a cheap way to go A64 until the S939 mb (or CPU)'s mature or drop in price.

I've pretty much made up my mind I'd get the MSI board since it's $30 less than the high end Epox. I need atleast 4 SATA slots since I already have 2 SATA drives and I'd like some room for expansion. I'm pretty sure I'll couple that with a 3200+ clawhammer and overclock it to atleast 2.2 ghz. I was going to get a 3400+ but I couldn't really justify spending 400 on the cpu alone when I can overclock the 3200+ just fine for about $280.

Well the Epox is only £8 more than the MSI here, so is the difference worth paying for the Epox then?

Dallows said:
RTFM, n00b.

one thing bout the epox It doesnt support mobile 64 as of yet but I hear a new bios will fix it :D

I bought the ASUS board from ZipZoomFly last week, and it did not work. I put the CPU in, etc, 2x 512 MB PC3200 RAM, 400w power supply, ATI Radeion 9800 Pro, etc. Board powered up, no POST. Oh and this board has a voice post thingy, and the voice thing said I was overclocking the CPU but I could not have been doing that since it was the 1st time the board was powered up, and nothing on my screen, could not even get into the BIOS. I wrote to ASUS technical support, they sent me a list of things to do. I did those things, such as take everything off the board, even the CPU to get it to generate an error code, and the voice thing said, "no CPU installed" over and over again. I must have gotten a bad board. Because I put my AMD Athlon 64 back in my Gigabyte board, and it worked fine. Anyhow, I RMA'ed the board back to ZipZoomFly, and ordered one from Newegg. I sure hope this new one I am getting in a few days works. I have read else where that a few people have gotten this board as a dud. I am going to give the ASUS board a 2nd chance. It has all the features I want so that is why I really want to get it to work.

Ok I got the one from Newegg and installed it and it works, thank goodness, heh

It appears that the one I had gotten from ZipZoomFly was a dud for some unknown reason. At least now I got a working one.

Qwestman said:
I bought the ASUS board from ZipZoomFly last week, and it did not work. I put the CPU in, etc, 2x 512 MB PC3200 RAM, 400w power supply, ATI Radeion 9800 Pro, etc. Board powered up, no POST. Oh and this board has a voice post thingy, and the voice thing said I was overclocking the CPU but I could not have been doing that since it was the 1st time the board was powered up, and nothing on my screen, could not even get into the BIOS. I wrote to ASUS technical support, they sent me a list of things to do. I did those things, such as take everything off the board, even the CPU to get it to generate an error code, and the voice thing said, "no CPU installed" over and over again. I must have gotten a bad board. Because I put my AMD Athlon 64 back in my Gigabyte board, and it worked fine. Anyhow, I RMA'ed the board back to ZipZoomFly, and ordered one from Newegg. I sure hope this new one I am getting in a few days works. I have read else where that a few people have gotten this board as a dud. I am going to give the ASUS board a 2nd chance. It has all the features I want so that is why I really want to get it to work.

I got the same board yesterday from NewEgg. Its not posting and beeping once. Is this board a dud too?

got the same board yesterday from NewEgg. Its not posting and beeping once. Is this board a dud too?

Wow, I'm glad I'm not alone here. I ordered that board from Newegg and after clearing CMOS it would post into the BIOS, but no matter what changes I made, even defaults or underclocking etc.... it wouldn't post again. Any Exit/saves and it wouldn't post again. I tried a diff mobo battery, different ram, diff vid card w/ the same results. The board was just defective.

I RMA'd it back to newegg and got myself a MSI Neo Plat instead and it works like a charm. :D

I don't know, maybe it's just a random thing with the ASUS board. The new 1003 BIOS is available for it though. Have not updated it yet.
So far, the one I got from newegg.com works great. No problems yet. The packaging was a little different though. The first one had a bracket that had 2 USB ports on it with a game port. The one from newegg.com had those two things seperate. Anyhow, I will report if I run into problems with the board.

Back