Anyone get their Steam Deck ordered?

That AOKZOE A1 is really tempting to me given how far off it seems my Deck is. Not that I really need a portable device, but 32GB memory + 2TB nvme drive +1920x1200 screen + a better APU, is quite a big upgrade over the steam deck. Sure it's almost 2x more expensive than the 512 deck in that config, but it just tickles that PC builder part of my brain. I mean it beats my other PC (4c8t i7-3770k intel with a GTX 970) and it fits in my hand lol.
I think the Deck's biggest advantage is what it brings to the table that isn't on the spec sheet. The software it runs is excellent, and thus far Valve has shown great focus on making it the best it can be. The configuration of parts it comes with like its sticks, pads, screen, speakers, and overall design are better than you'll normally get in a Chinese handheld. The ability to actually mod it or repair it in the future is something you'll never get from a more expensive Chinese handheld. Plus you have an American corp. standing behind it.

Could you get lucky and get a great handheld that is worth the extra cost over the Steam Deck and be super happy with it? Yes, but it's by no means a given that you'll end up happier with it than you would with a Steam Deck.

Last edited:
Lmao just looked the 970 and the 680m are close in specs except the memory bandwidth is about half on the 680m. Still pretty impressive.

You can run steam os on the other handhelds we are talking about. There are YouTube videos showing people set it up.

I do agree though the controls and os make a nice package. Unit is solid and comfortable too.

Just got the queue. Canceled it. Couldn't have came at a worse time financially, even the calculators were saying it'd be early 23' before it came so... maybe they really have upped the production capacity.

If you're getting yours delivered in Texas, if you listen carefully to the box, you'll hear the fan running full blast.

I live in AR and it gets about as hot here as it does in eastern TX, and much of AR is considered to be an extension of eastern TX by many residents. I haven't tried to run it in a non-airconditioned environment yet but in my 72 degrees office it works great, as well as in air conditioned cars and trucks with 45w pd chargers. It can't be worse than my toshiba big honkin laptop in 2007 with the 6800go gpu. The fan so far only runs lots of rpm when downloading things as fast as the wifi chip can do it (~70 MB/s with these APs) and when running more demanding games at 60 instead of 30 fps. If I were using it outside I'd probably turn everything down to low and run 30 fps with that half rate shader thing turned on.

I got the dbrand leather skin and it fits well. Installation was easy. Make sure you use a hair dryer and the included smoothing tool.

I wonder, if I go back into the queue starting now, will my steam deck be available by this time next year? lol.
I kinda want to wait for a hardware refresh but i have no idea how that's gonna work with year long preorders.

I wonder, if I go back into the queue starting now, will my steam deck be available by this time next year? lol.
I kinda want to wait for a hardware refresh but i have no idea how that's gonna work with year long preorders.

Waiting for a hardware refresh is a good idea. The current model is way too noisy to be practical as a portable.

When I used my friend's system for about 11 days I had no issues with the fan at full blast. I've heard laptops with some annoying-ass fans, and the Steam Deck is nothing like that. Most games at half system volume would drown out the fan. To even hear it I had to go into a quiet room. My brother doesn't have any issues with the fan in his Steam Deck either.

I think a potential "Steam Deck 2" will be the one for me. Hardware refresh or upgrade or whatever. This first Steam Deck is almost there. I think a second one would would nail it.

Mine isn't noisy at all. Even wide open in demanding games. I mean you can hear a fan in a quiet room, but it is not an issue.

When I used my friend's system for about 11 days I had no issues with the fan at full blast. I've heard laptops with some annoying-ass fans, and the Steam Deck is nothing like that. Most games at half system volume would drown out the fan. To even hear it I had to go into a quiet room. My brother doesn't have any issues with the fan in his Steam Deck either.

I think a potential "Steam Deck 2" will be the one for me. Hardware refresh or upgrade or whatever. This first Steam Deck is almost there. I think a second one would would nail it.

There was a somewhat recent firmware update that addressed the fan curve and acoustics of the fan. My understanding is that at launch, between a particular fan model and the curve, it could get quite annoying.

Reactions: Axman
like this
There was a somewhat recent firmware update that addressed the fan curve and acoustics of the fan. My understanding is that at launch, between a particular fan model and the curve, it could get quite annoying.

I think you're right about the fan model, because I got my deck a few days, maybe a week I think? before the fan update, and while I could hear it under load, it was still quieter than my thin and light laptops. And it seems to take a game like Mass Effect LE to peg the APU.

For people that are saying "I'll just wait for the Deck 2" I think that's fine, but I have no regrets being an early adopter. Every time there's an update a couple of new titles show up in the "Great on Deck" section, and I feel like backing the project is like being a pebble in an avalanche.

I installed the Gulikit hall effect sticks last night. They both snap to the same place, a little right and up from center. I was still able to lower the dead zone down to 4500 with some head room. The calibration buttons don't seem to do anything. I even jacked the sticks in opposite directions, reset them, and they still operate the exact same way. Any tips are welcome :)

I installed the Gulikit hall effect sticks last night. They both snap to the same place, a little right and up from center. I was still able to lower the dead zone down to 4500 with some head room. The calibration buttons don't seem to do anything. I even jacked the sticks in opposite directions, reset them, and they still operate the exact same way. Any tips are welcome :)
Linus had a recent video on these. More accurately, Alec did. He talks about how to do these correctly. Good video, very minimal Linus.

I got a Friday notice for purchase, shipping info the next Tuesday, and received my Deck on the Friday one week after my notification.
Similar for me. Got my notification on the 18th of July, ordered it late that after noon, received it on the 25th. One year 9 days between preorder and receipt of my 512Gb Steam Deck. Hopefully they learn from this experience when they launch the next version of it. I wonder if they will try to be like consoles and let there be 5 years between revisions. Less than 2 years b4 an update, (aside from storage), would not really make sense to me, but I guess we will see.

One year 9 days between preorder and receipt of my 512Gb Steam Deck.

For me it was 9 months. I did get my order in the seventh minute, though.

Think of it as a good thing, though. There's a *lot* of enthusiasm for this entirely new kind of product, and it shows from a developer point of view, just as much as Valve's.

For people that are saying "I'll just wait for the Deck 2" I think that's fine, but I have no regrets being an early adopter.
After the 11 days I spent with my friend's unit, I wouldn't have regrets either if I ended up with one.

Updated shipping expected today so a few days early. In case anyone has the same question i have, i got my notice on Thursday, shipping notic Sunday and delivery Monday today so 5 days total
Well either the truck broke down or got hijacked because they removed today as the shipping date and the in transit from Chicago has not updated from 10 AM this morning. I think someone mentioned in this or another thread Fed Ex was a bit of a mess lately. Sucks i’m working OT tomorrow, might have come in handy babysitting the new fiber cutover 🙁

Finally came Wednesday. Goofing around with default stuff. Playing some dirt3 even though not totally supported. I’m surprised most by the sound. Its pretty darned good. Battery life isn’t too shabby either…

Mine says between July and September now. Hopefully will be about the right time to buy myself one for my birthday! (October)

Screenshot_20220808-094735_Gmail.jpg

Has it? or were a huge portion of reservation on the first day?

Eitehr way, glad more people are getting units. Love mine!
I'm guessing its like you said, most of the preorders were first day but they also increased production capacity.

I pre-ordered my top tier unit early last month or in June, can't remember. Valave said all preorders this year are being pulled, so sweet. Be in time for Christmas perhaps.

Back