Anyone get their Steam Deck ordered?

My cousin texted me on tuesday to let me know that his steam deck email came in and that he didn't have the money for it. I immediately called him and gave him my card# to get it for me. I told him when my reservation comes in he can have it if he wants.
He reserved the 256GB 4 hours after I did the 512GB and already got it.

Had I known it had a m.2 slot I would have picked the 64gb, since I will most likely be buying the pm991 1TB and cutting it down to size.

Needless to say... I am super stoked.
Is this expensive Dell one the same specs as the large Samsung labeled one you are going to cut down?
1657253611181.png

and I just saw this review of the 991,
Leaves a 1 star and says arrived DOA. I would have tested it before cutting it, sounds like he didn't test it and it was either dead or he killed it when he cut it.

1657261698842.png

Last edited:
Is this expensive Dell one the same specs as the large Samsung labeled one you are going to cut down?
View attachment 490037

and I just saw this review of the 991,
Leaves a 1 star and says arrived DOA. I would have tested it before cutting it, sounds like he didn't test it and it was either dead or he killed it when he cut it.

View attachment 490051

Pretty much, though it looks a bit different.

He probably didn’t sand it after cutting it. There are test pad traces that will ground out.

I’m pretty sure I bought that one on Amazon. I remember that review.

I’ll cut mine down on Saturday. I’ll let y’all know if it works.

Still waiting on version 2.0 to come out.
Does Valve sale replacement parts for the Steam Deck? Upgrades?
IFIXIT has parts:
https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Game-Console/Steam-Deck

That is one of the things I was looking for, ability to fix and hopefully modify as well. Also would be nice if lan parties with such devices became a thing again. As for 2.0, your going to wait awhile as in 2024 but then maybe Valve will also have a VR headset to go along with it. How well does FSR 2.0 work? Tempting but hate to have to wait as long as it says.

Last edited:
I looked into it. The one with the amazon review you snipped is the one I ordered.

I would get a different one. I just took my calipers to it and the components stop at 37mm, so most likely is will have to be 40mm more or less after cut and I won't be able to notch it to screw down.
The mods I've seen, you don't notch it, just put kapton(sp?) tape around the nvme and everything gets sandwiched together when you assemble it, I assume.

Last edited:
The mods I've seen, you don't notch it, just put kapton(sp?) tape around the nvme and everything gets sandwiched together when you assemble it, I assume.
I saw one where the guy pre drilled it for the notch first, then saw several where they just taped it. I assumed they were just being sloppy lol.

The problem with the drive being longer than 30mm is that the charging ic won’t be able to have a thermal pad.

I looked into it. The one with the amazon review you snipped is the one I ordered.

I would get a different one. I just took my calipers to it and the components stop at 37mm, so most likely is will have to be 40mm more or less after cut and I won't be able to notch it to screw down.
Wait doesn't that mean the Dell m.2 is out of the specification for a supposed 2230 drive or is it the steam deck m.2 slot that is out of specification standards?

Wait doesn't that mean the Dell m.2 is out of the specification for a supposed 2230 drive or is it the steam deck m.2 slot that is out of specification standards?
We're talking about 2 different drives, the dell is fine, it's the 2280 991 Samsung that gets cut down is still a bit long.

My bro just sent me screenshots that he got a notification through Steam to order his 256GB Steam Deck (first he had seen the email), then confirming his order. Really hope his comes without any issues.
He said the expected arrival date of his Steam Deck is this coming Friday. As for me, my friend is back in town, and I shall be delivering his to him today. Been a fun week+ with that thing. I'm gonna miss it.

EDIT: My bro said it was changed to Thursday.

Last edited:
I ordered an hour or two after the initial release, and have had my deck in hand for a week now. Feels solid, mostly played Dead Cells and some jrpg on the go. The speed that it wakes from sleep to playable is ~ 2 seconds, and has been able to get me immediately back into the game.

Reactions: maro
like this
I ordered an hour or two after the initial release, and have had my deck in hand for a week now. Feels solid, mostly played Dead Cells and some jrpg on the go. The speed that it wakes from sleep to playable is ~ 2 seconds, and has been able to get me immediately back into the game.
The sleep feature is definitely a favorite of mine. My Steam Deck always has Burnout 3 running so I can bring it out of sleep for an occasional race or crash session. Very convenient for that sort of thing. Great battery life for emulation, too.

He said the expected arrival date of his Steam Deck is this coming Friday. As for me, my friend is back in town, and I shall be delivering his to him today. Been a fun week+ with that thing. I'm gonna miss it.

EDIT: My bro said it was changed to Thursday.
Aaaaaand they changed it back to Friday. What the actual fuck.

Well it's in my hands. Why the fuck does valve put wtf is in the box on the label!?

And of course FedEx couldn't follow the delivery instructions. Just because we have multiple cars here doesn't mean anyone is home it just means we drove our other cars.
If it rained it would have been trashed.

20220713_185114.jpg

Reactions: Axman
like this
Well it's in my hands. Why the fuck does valve put wtf is in the box on the label!?

Yeah I was a bit upset by that. But it probably would have been fine in the rain unless it dropped a flash flood on you; the packaging is solid.

Reactions: maro
like this
Yeah I was a bit upset by that. But it probably would have been fine in the rain unless it dropped a flash flood on you; the packaging is solid.

That's what we're getting around here. Heavy Tstorm\Flash flood warnings everyday.

1657754273664.png

If it rained it would have been trashed.
I had to pick up my friend's package when he was out of town, and the package had been sitting out in a thunderstorm all day. Luckily the Steam Deck is inside its own case, which itself is wrapped in plastic.

But it probably would have been fine in the rain unless it dropped a flash flood on you; the packaging is solid.
The above package was heavily soaked and the paper layers were peeling off, but it survived.

I had to pick up my friend's package when he was out of town, and the package had been sitting out in a thunderstorm all day. Luckily the Steam Deck is inside its own case, which itself is wrapped in plastic.

The above package was heavily soaked and the paper layers were peeling off, but it survived.

No doubt the deck itself would have been fine unless it was submerged.

I just finished ordering process for the 512Gb version. Been preordered for 1 year and 2 days. Will update once I have it. Hurray.
Yikes, lol. The ordering prediction bot things on reddit say I have 304 order fulfillment days to go until mine is delivered, also the top tier option. I have a feeling that there will be a Deck 2 by the time I'm even half-way there.

Yikes, lol. The ordering prediction bot things on reddit say I have 304 order fulfillment days to go until mine is delivered, also the top tier option. I have a feeling that there will be a Deck 2 by the time I'm even half-way there.

Yeah, I feel bad for complaining…

My Steam Deck reservation finally opened up and I have until Thursday to order mine. Debating on if I want to pull the trigger or not. A few months ago it would have been a "yes" with no reservations, but i've since spent most of my tech budget on upgrading my computer.

...decisions decisions...

My Steam Deck reservation finally opened up and I have until Thursday to order mine. Debating on if I want to pull the trigger or not. A few months ago it would have been a "yes" with no reservations, but i've since spent most of my tech budget on upgrading my computer.

...decisions decisions...
I've decided against buying the Steam Deck today. I just cant justify it knowing that I just spent $1300~ or so upgrading my tower in the past few months. I'll probably try again once they do a hardware update. There's enough Switch games coming out (and a severe lack of traveling in my near future) that my Switch will satisfy my portable gaming for the time being...

Examples?
AOKZOE A1 from ETA Prime review:

There is a whole wave of them from different manufacturers. I think the Steam Deck casing and controls are better, but they have it beat on screen and performance.

They will be more money than the steam deck. I probably would have paid a few hundred more for that APU.
I would imagine with the much higher fill rate you wouldn't need to go under 720p ever.

Steam Deck APU is 8rop: 12.8 GPixel/s, 51.20 GTexel/s... Basically 8800gtx class, but with much more shader performance.
The 680m in the 6800u is 32rop: 76.80 GPixel/s, 115.2 GTexel/s. Probably memory bandwidth limited and power limited, but should perform a lot better. CPU is 8 core zen 3, probably help out a bit. A lot of the stuff on the steam deck that doesn't hit 60fps is cpu limited.

With the main board on the steam deck being the size of a credit card... It would be nice if you could just swap it out. Give me a cpu module with this new apu and a aftermarket oled and I probably wouldn't turn my computer on for a long while.

Is PayPal a checkout option when paying for the deck?

Edit: OLED would be nice, so would upgrades. I barley touch my desktops anymore. I'll be using my steam deck as a portable HTPC with some docks. At q4 or later the valve dock will likely be out

Is PayPal a checkout option when paying for the deck?

Edit: OLED would be nice, so would upgrades. I barley touch my desktops anymore. I'll be using my steam deck as a portable HTPC with some docks. At q4 or later the valve dock will likely be out

Yes. I used PP with my Discover card and get 5% cash back this quarter.

That AOKZOE A1 is really tempting to me given how far off it seems my Deck is. Not that I really need a portable device, but 32GB memory + 2TB nvme drive +1920x1200 screen + a better APU, is quite a big upgrade over the steam deck. Sure it's almost 2x more expensive than the 512 deck in that config, but it just tickles that PC builder part of my brain. I mean it beats my other PC (4c8t i7-3770k intel with a GTX 970) and it fits in my hand lol.

Back