anyone ever thought about using an industrial water chiller as res.?

I was following a thread on evga forums of people buying those to chill 2080 ti for benchmarking. Seems was a still pain with condensation.

Condensation will always be a problem as soon as you go sub-ambient . However in the past I have used aquarium chillers to keep near ambient temps under load, you're safe there. Otherwise get good at cutting neoprene to heavily insulate the cocket, both sides of the board, the cooling block, lines, as well as some sort of conformal coating around components.

Even then, a small air gap will cause condensation and problems.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
this thing looks kind of interesting. it's an industrial water chiller used for cooling the internals of laser cutters. if you didn't get the water ice cold you prob wouldn't have to worry about too much condensation??

thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/Homend-Indus...t=&hvlocphy=9008492&hvtargid=pla-752519867695

I've looked at units like these (usually lab chillers) in the past and determined that while they would lower idle temps, they have nowhere near the power to keep up with load temps.

You'd need somewhere between a 1/4 and 1/2hp chiller to cool a modern high end desktop.

What you want are acquarium chillers. Performance PC's sells a line of Hailea Aquarium chillers for this purpose, with available fitting adapters fot G1/4 fittings.

They are a little pricier than the water chillers above though.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Condensation will always be a problem as soon as you go sub-ambient .

Not really. Sub-ambient is fine, as long as you don't go too far.

What you don't want to do is go below the dew point.

You can calulate the dew point from the temperature and RH values. Right now here it is 84°F with an RH of 50%, which means the dewpoint is ~64°F, or ~18°C. I wouldn't flirt too closely with the dewpoint though. I'd keep it maybe ~2°C above the dewpoint at all times just to be safe.

Even if you limit yourself to coolant temps that are ambient though, that's a huge improvement over even a high end water cooling loop cooled by radiators.

Last edited:
I used a grunty and cheap chiller to cool a laser frequency conversion system recently, if you guys want I can dig the model up.
They're not too loud but are reasonable size. IIRC could keep half a kW or more load around 15 degrees C.

Maybe ask Intel?

Edit was like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MTRAJ9N/ref=psdcmw_3741041_t3_B07Q5MHJL4
I may have to have it ' borrowed' in future when surplus.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back