Anyone ever order a retail 920 and get...

Status
Not open for further replies.
haha I like how this "demo product" created so much drama. I don't think it's entirely impossible these were going to be used a displays or something. There's plenty of prop computers, etc that are used by retails all the time. I mean it's obvious these are fake (they don't even work). Newegg might be taking it a little too far by terminating their contract with the distributor. Just my opinion.

This thing reminds me of the fake computers, video game consoles and controllers, books, etc you would find at an IKEA.

Last edited:
One thing I still don't understand: What was the point of the "counterfeiter" here making these units?

1) They went to a lot of trouble to make them seem semi-legit with logos, batch numbers, etc. I'd bet they paid thousands of dollars to upgrade the appearance of these fakes.
2) They HAD to know the copies weren't going to fool anyone and would be discovered eventually

What is the point? If the perpetrator didn't mind ripping people off, they could've just made reasonably official looking boxes with enough clay to make the boxes feel the right weight. But, instead of that, they went to a LOT of manufacturing effort/expense to make 300 semi-look-alike counterfeits. I have a hard time believing that a scam artist would go to that level of expense to manufacture bad replicas without some benefit to them for doing it.

Nothing I've seen in this thread explains the unknown bad guy's motive for spending so much money on making these fakes. (Although, I admit, I haven't read all 40+ pages)

uh... maybe MONEY? (if you can sell near Newegg's price, $ 86,400.00 )
I seriously doubt each counterfiet cost anywhere near the CPU cost. The plastic package inside is probably re-used, the box printed on an inkjet (from how easy it scratched) and the 'heatsink' for pennies once you've made the foam's mold.

The REAL question is where were they swapped in the supply chain?

Here is what my wife said who is a lawyer that deals with I.P. and Copyright Infrigements.

If D&H was contacted by NewEgg and told NewEgg that they were "Demo Boxes" and NewEgg has a supply contract with D&H, it more than
likely has a status clause dealing with batches of defective/bad units and upon request a response has to be given to NewEgg in a
reasonable amount of time to give to whom it needs to deal with (customers, internal management and such). NewEgg would be under
contract to report ONLY what D&H said to them and nothing more. No speculation, no room to make assumptions, and even if Intel
Steps in and says that they are counterfeit, NewEgg will still have to report what D&H fed to them as what happened, or face steep
fines and/or end up with a broken contract leaving them with a shortage of parts that are otherwise good.

So while Kyle and the Gang focus on this one small detail of Demo Boxes and lying and whatever, they find themselves where NewEgg
probably would have been had they broken contract and said the truth right off the bat... with a Cease and Desist Order and
whatever else. Kyle, it seems as well as others have so focused on the Demo Box "lie or Story or Spin", that they really didn't
focus on the overall out come that NewEgg was as proactive in contacting customers as they legally could and sending out
replacements as fast as they could.

I am almost 100% postive that what I said above is accurate given the wife is a lawyer and I come and tend to stir things up with
reviews, just ask Paul and his last power review, and I wouldn't say what I said and make some strong statements unless I knew I
was in the clear.

What HardOCP did is possibly open itself up to get nailed. There is always a small chance that INTEL may have made some display
boxes or contracted out at some point and the person from INTEL didn't know about it either in his response to clear INTEL's name.
Which could lead us down the path that Intel ulimately was the company lying to us about the whole deal. (This scenerio according
to wife is about a .001%) So if it did end up being this way, would all of you that use Intel never EVER EVER buy anything Intel
again, from its chipsets, to whatever?

Its more than Obvious that there is a falling out between NewEgg and HardOCP and it shows because of NewEgg dropping HardOCP as
preferred partner or whatever you call it, so there is some bias and negative history because that would directly cause them not to
run ad's on HardOCP and that would cost Kyle money, after all you did read about why you shouldn't use AdBlock on HardOCP right?

The first option presented above fits the situation of what happened. There was little NewEgg could do until the distributor
cleared up exactly what happened and in this case D&H settled on "Demo Boxes" and this was all that they could report. What backs
this up so nicely is HardOCP getting a Cease and Desist Letter from D&H in regards to this situation, which just backs up exactly
what I said above. Technically and contractually, NewEgg was NOT lying to anyone about anything, they were given information per
contract and thats all that could be passed along. What the focus needs to be on is that they proactively sent out letters and
corrected the situation as fast as possible.

This is where Jumping to Conclusions and people who don't consult lawyers run into issues.... they just assume run out without any
research and start making comments without regards to what is really going on here.

If that .001 percent scenerio plays out.... HardOCP would and could be held liable for what it said. In that case Kyle, I know a
pretty good lawyer, but she doesn't come cheap...

Well looks like I was close.... just replace DandH with IPEX and my wife hit it on the head.....

mmm mmmm mmmm

What your wife the IP/Copyright lawyer seems to forget is that all of the above is moot, all of the contract terms meaningless, as soon as the other party breaks the law...and trafficking in counterfeit goods, even if you do so unknowingly, happens to be illegal.

As I noted before - a 12 year old could have recognized these things for what they were. You'd have to tell it with wink, a smile and touch on the gun under your jacket to get somebody to believe that these were "demo units".

Newegg would have been on completely safe ground here telling the truth from the start. At worst, they should have deferred with a "we're investigating" statement. To tell the world that they are "demo units" makes them party to the cover up. They owe the community an apology.

Does this sound like the South Park Episode about Smurfs with Cartman "asking Questions" not saying that Wendy was a whore? :D

In a word, yes.

Be responsible with your free speech. Think before you speak. And perhaps, verify your sources before you set off a drama dust-storm.

Unless your goal is to be a tabloid style journalist.

I'll side with Newegg as they have never done me wrong, and seem to have taken care of each and every customer who was affected by this in a timely manner. How they got those cpus and why they got them is really a moot point. The point is that Newegg stepped up to the plate when they figured out was going on and replaced them immediately. That should be the story.

uh... maybe MONEY? (if you can sell near Newegg's price, $ 86,400.00 )
I seriously doubt each counterfiet cost anywhere near the CPU cost. The plastic package inside is probably re-used, the box printed on an inkjet (from how easy it scratched) and the 'heatsink' for pennies once you've made the foam's mold.

The REAL question is where were they swapped in the supply chain?

Maybe the real scam was that a load or real processors was heisted and these ones substituted. The substitution, while eventually obvious, buys time...and as every cheap detective novel fan knows...the more time goes buy the less likely an arrest.

Also, somehow I have come through this without the slightest animosity toward either Newegg or [H], I will continue to buy from Newegg and I will continue to think of [H] as the best single web site for the hardcore buzz...now you two kids should give each other a hug and make up.

Last edited:
Maybe the real scam was that a load or real processors was heisted and these ones substituted. The substitution, while eventually obvious, buys time...and as every cheap detective novel fan knows...the more time goes buy the less likely an arrest.

maybe it was the same people who repelled into bestbuy and stole 20 laptops without touching the floor or being seen by camaras or setting motion detectors off...

White chocolate heat sinks just in time for Easter...
Damn, man. That's a beautiful idea. White chocolate PC hardware.

You know, if I were adventurous enough, I could probably design a mold in SolidWorks and have it locally machined. Then it'd just be a matter of figuring out how to 'cast' white chocolate.

My first project would have to be a Voodoo, though, not a heatsink.

Here is what my wife said who is a lawyer that deals with I.P. and Copyright Infrigements.

If D&H was contacted by NewEgg and told NewEgg that they were "Demo Boxes" and NewEgg has a supply contract with D&H, it more than
likely has a status clause dealing with batches of defective/bad units and upon request a response has to be given to NewEgg in a
reasonable amount of time to give to whom it needs to deal with (customers, internal management and such). NewEgg would be under
contract to report ONLY what D&H said to them and nothing more. No speculation, no room to make assumptions, and even if Intel
Steps in and says that they are counterfeit, NewEgg will still have to report what D&H fed to them as what happened, or face steep
fines and/or end up with a broken contract leaving them with a shortage of parts that are otherwise good.

So while Kyle and the Gang focus on this one small detail of Demo Boxes and lying and whatever, they find themselves where NewEgg
probably would have been had they broken contract and said the truth right off the bat... with a Cease and Desist Order and
whatever else. Kyle, it seems as well as others have so focused on the Demo Box "lie or Story or Spin", that they really didn't
focus on the overall out come that NewEgg was as proactive in contacting customers as they legally could and sending out
replacements as fast as they could.

I am almost 100% postive that what I said above is accurate given the wife is a lawyer and I come and tend to stir things up with
reviews, just ask Paul and his last power review, and I wouldn't say what I said and make some strong statements unless I knew I
was in the clear.

What HardOCP did is possibly open itself up to get nailed. There is always a small chance that INTEL may have made some display
boxes or contracted out at some point and the person from INTEL didn't know about it either in his response to clear INTEL's name.
Which could lead us down the path that Intel ulimately was the company lying to us about the whole deal. (This scenerio according
to wife is about a .001%) So if it did end up being this way, would all of you that use Intel never EVER EVER buy anything Intel
again, from its chipsets, to whatever?

Its more than Obvious that there is a falling out between NewEgg and HardOCP and it shows because of NewEgg dropping HardOCP as
preferred partner or whatever you call it, so there is some bias and negative history because that would directly cause them not to
run ad's on HardOCP and that would cost Kyle money, after all you did read about why you shouldn't use AdBlock on HardOCP right?

The first option presented above fits the situation of what happened. There was little NewEgg could do until the distributor
cleared up exactly what happened and in this case D&H settled on "Demo Boxes" and this was all that they could report. What backs
this up so nicely is HardOCP getting a Cease and Desist Letter from D&H in regards to this situation, which just backs up exactly
what I said above. Technically and contractually, NewEgg was NOT lying to anyone about anything, they were given information per
contract and thats all that could be passed along. What the focus needs to be on is that they proactively sent out letters and
corrected the situation as fast as possible.

This is where Jumping to Conclusions and people who don't consult lawyers run into issues.... they just assume run out without any
research and start making comments without regards to what is really going on here.

If that .001 percent scenerio plays out.... HardOCP would and could be held liable for what it said. In that case Kyle, I know a
pretty good lawyer, but she doesn't come cheap...

Well looks like I was close.... just replace DandH with IPEX and my wife hit it on the head.....

mmm mmmm mmmm

I wish my wife was a fancy lawyer so I could sit home and play computer games all day.

Heh, no offense...it just seemed obvious.

someone is selling i7 920's on eBay for $80 apiece. sold over 100 since this morning. was tempted to max out some cards and buy them up, but decided to google "counterfeit i7 920" and found out about the newegg / ipex fiasco.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-Core-i7-I...36QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCPUs?hash=item19ba974668

Huh, different batch number than the counterfeits Newegg had. Ridiculously low price, though, so something's definitely fishy.

Anybody trust eBay's buyer protection to buy a handful? It's tempting.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
someone is selling i7 920's on eBay for $80 apiece. sold over 100 since this morning. was tempted to max out some cards and buy them up, but decided to google "counterfeit i7 920" and found out about the newegg / ipex fiasco.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-Core-i7-I...36QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCPUs?hash=item19ba974668

I just got one ... I'll let you all know how it goes. Not expecting much, though. Hopefully EBay/Paypal will work out any issues if they arise.

The seller's name doesn't look to promising.

The seller's name doesn't look to promising.

And looking at their other recently posted stuff for sale, definitely looks to be a scammer of some sort.

BioShock 2 (Xbox 360, 2010) - $25
Western Digital VelociRaptor (WD3000GLFSRTL) Hard Drive - $50
OCZ Platinum 6GB DDR3 1600MHz (3x2GB) PC12800 - $100
ASUS P6T7 WS SuperComputer - LGA 1366 Motherboard - $200

Maybe. But until Newegg gets all the facts, maybe they have to go off the information being told them by the supposed reputable seller. Businesses can't just call other businesses liars and be wrong, they have to investigate before they call someone out.

Maybe Newegg is going off the facts they currently have until they get to the bottom of this. Maybe Newegg can't change it's stance in this ultra modern world of millisecond updates. Maybe once they have the story straight they will tell everyone but to do so now is premature.

That's not lying. Damn, give them more than a day before you start throwing stones. A week from now... okay, just saying it's still early days to say "liar liar"

BAM!

This is almost certainly stolen property or fraud. I reported the auction to ebay, but I doubt they'll do anything about it since they likely have no proof of any wrongdoing.

I expect that nobody is going to receive anything at all, and the seller will be vanishing with the $80 of the hundreds of people who are buying these.

What your wife the IP/Copyright lawyer seems to forget is that all of the above is moot, all of the contract terms meaningless, as soon as the other party breaks the law...and trafficking in counterfeit goods, even if you do so unknowingly, happens to be illegal.

As I noted before - a 12 year old could have recognized these things for what they were. You'd have to tell it with wink, a smile and touch on the gun under your jacket to get somebody to believe that these were "demo units".

Newegg would have been on completely safe ground here telling the truth from the start. At worst, they should have deferred with a "we're investigating" statement. To tell the world that they are "demo units" makes them party to the cover up. They owe the community an apology.

What you didn't grasp is at the time, officially there was NO proof that ANY law had been broken. There was no direct proof at that very instant that those were NOT demo boxes, and therefor the contract be null and void at that instant. There would have to had been a clause for if x amount of units are faulty, then this contract is renderdered null and void.

I met my wife in Yale Law, she finished, I didn't.... so she definately knows a shitload more than me, but NewEgg could not just jump to conclusions and go against what the supplier said, especially if it is drawn up in writing and NewEgg has to reply with what the supplier provided was the problem. There is no GRAY area for NewEgg. Technically INTEL could have came to NewEgg and said they are counterfeit and guess what, they would have still have to say demo box. They are shielded by that agreement from any action from INTEL (there are ways INTEL could get NewEgg, but the results are very iffy and that type of action difficult, given how NewEgg quickly handled the situation and made sure everyone did get a GenuineIntel proc). NewEgg breaking that contract and saying yeah IPEX gave us counterfiet processors, we are sorry would have been the best solution for many, like Mr. HardOCP himself, but not only would they be out 60,000 (if IPEX doesn't refund NewEggs money), but would have to fight a contract dispute through court, which is just added money, while also losing IPEX as a supplier for their parts, other parts that maybe fine and which maybe helping keeping NewEgg's prices low.

There are just so many roads that you don't see... Just because you are looking North at what seems simple, doesn't mean that there are many other directions that must be considered and looked at...

Man Himmy you need to Lrn2read. Everybody knows NewEgg said those boxes were Intel Demo Units. If everyone reading this thread and seeing the blatant counterfeit misspelled BS that was on the boxes could tell that they were counterfeit and absolutely nothing from Intel themselves; then why couldn't you?

NewEgg should have taken their heads out of the hole and read the Intel response. But no, they stuck to their story that they were from Intel. And you can say they were official or not "official" but Intel basically said "That shit ain't mine!" Nobody can slap Intel's name on any product whether free or paid for. You'll get sued so fast it will make your head swim. Even if you make FREE product with an Intel name on it there is a protocol for doing so. Sorry if you Himmy don't comprehend that.

And as far as NewEgg goes all they had to do was say the shit was counterfeit and it didn't come from D&H. But no, they waited and stuck with the "I hope this blows over" lame ass story and it didn't fly. Kyle stuck to his guns that it was crap; as he knew his readership knew it was bullshit. Sorry if we're more intellectual to know when someone is blowing smoke up our asses.

If you're reporting NEWS on a website, as Kyle has been doing since day 1 of me reading this website; then you'd realize that when he gets a scoop on a story he reports it. Simple as that; he reported as he was told straight from someone from NewEgg. He reports it as it's told to him. So your suggestion is wait until products are in consumer hands to report what's going on in the industry?

Now if that person at NewEgg was wrong, then so be it. NewEgg knew where the ripoffs originated from. Why didn't they just say up front that they were from IPEX? They didn't have issues mentioning IPEX when they fired them. And why all the smoke and mirrors and blaming Intel for it? When they said the crap was Intel Demo Units that means they are from Intel. It's an licensed Intel product. Thus that makes Intel culpable for mislabeling their demo products.

And them sending them out instead of the real CPU would be the equivalent to me ordering a Intel CPU and getting a demo model of a Intel CPU, and me returning it. No harm no foul. It would have been a simple mistake. But when you send out a fake Intel CPU, blatantly fake that any blind man can see, and tell us it's from Intel; it makes Intel look like shit for making it. And then state it was a Demo from Intel then we know you're full of it. Himmy, did you ever consider that maybe Kyle knows what an Intel demo looks like from past experience dealing with them? And the [H] readership also!

I knew the shit was fake from the first microseconds of looking at the pics. Why didn't you know it was fake Himmy? And better yet, why didn't NewEgg? I mean they order thousands of them at a time and they couldn't see it was fake? After Intel said it wasn't licensed from them, they still needed to investigate further to see if it was? And if I'm the typical Hardocp reader then I'm proud I'm smart enough to ascertain my left hand from my right unlike you Himmy.

The real loser here is Intel. Can't believe you'll thought that they would license a product that was rubbish like that. Some bullshit if you ask me. They didn't do anything wrong, yet they get branded for making a product that didn't even have proper spelling on it. You think they want this bad press? Why do you think they took the time to set the record straight so fast?

And I stick by my earlier thanks to Kyle and NewEgg. Next time I bet companies will learn that the truth will set you free.

My $0.02.

Cageymaru

Um, what?

NewEgg did not drag anyone's name in the mud, Kyle did. Kyle posted 'news' without a CONFIRMATION. That is why a real journalist has 2 sources. Who is his source to begin with? Some guy making a pitiful $50k working 9 to 5 and sitting in a bland cubical with the title of 'assistant IT support specialist.' Kyle is not a real journalist, he is a man who gets video cards and CPU's from manufacturers and runs tests to see what kind of performance they are and posts them on his website. That is all he is.

NewEgg never lied. They never said they had demo boxes. They stated it appears that the boxes are demos. They were told this from their supplier, yet still continued to look into it because their own internal investigation was not over.

All this 'news' story has done is show how pathetic it is for people to jump to conclusions, knee jerk reactions, Kyle using opinions as facts(nor understanding the difference), and the inability of a large amount of people to read a quote and not understand that when the words 'appears to be' are inserted into a sentence it completely changes the meaning of that sentence.

Congrats HardOCP readers, and especially you kyle with your crack investigative mad skills. This thread sure is [H]!!!!

I wish my wife was a fancy lawyer so I could sit home and play computer games all day.

Heh, no offense...it just seemed obvious.

Hehehehe,

Actually I do work, I write applictions for a company thats in Tampa, Florida. Lately this has allowed me to stay at home and game a lot. I'm given the specs, and the time line to finish the job, and if I bust ass and get it done months ahead of time, then I have those months to do what I want to do.

It makes it easy on us right now to start a family, but at times I do a lot of travel... 2 years ago i was a Hilton Diamond Member, and American Airlines Executive Platinum member, which just means I wasn't home most of the year.

But yeah, lately I get the chance to do a lot of gaming, but there are times where I do a lot of work.

;-D

After reading all this, I was shocked to see this happened, Now i am worried about buying computers part's online at all. i was going to spend $1,700-2,000 at newegg but i am thinking differnet now, I am going to micro center to get my core i7 920.

First Qestion. Is it safe to buy other parts beside's cpu from newegg?

2nd, Should i just buy all the parts from micro center and be done with it?

3rd. or who other other online seller's who are good service?

Thanks for answering these qestions for me

1. It is safe to buy anything from NewEgg. They were just trying to save face at first but it is clear they were sold knockoffs.

2. No

3. TigerDirect.com

Newegg tried to go cheap clearly, and they got scammed. I have used them for many years with no problem. They are making it right for everyone affected.

I'm sorry but you're missing the point. If I owned Intel and NewEgg was disparaging my man like that I'd sue the pants off them. Stuff like that is libel. If anything Kyle was also sticking up for Intel during this. Intel was the biggest loser here as their product was trashed by NewEgg. When we saw the pics of the corny packaging, misspelled words, and blatant counterfeiting that was evident, we knew it wasn't from Intel. And NewEgg stuck to their guns that it was.

If Intel ever needed to make an example out of someone then this is the perfect example. Even after Intel sent out a release trying to clear their good name, NewEgg stuck with their story. All they had to do was say, "Sorry guys, there seems to be more to this than we initially thought. Give us more time." But no they left that lame cliffhanger up blaming Intel for the counterfeits.

And that's wrong,

Cageymaru

What you didn't grasp is at the time, officially there was NO proof that ANY law had been broken. There was no direct proof at that very instant that those were NOT demo boxes, and therefor the contract be null and void at that instant. There would have to had been a clause for if x amount of units are faulty, then this contract is renderdered null and void.

I met my wife in Yale Law, she finished, I didn't.... so she definately knows a shitload more than me, but NewEgg could not just jump to conclusions and go against what the supplier said, especially if it is drawn up in writing and NewEgg has to reply with what the supplier provided was the problem. There is no GRAY area for NewEgg. Technically INTEL could have came to NewEgg and said they are counterfeit and guess what, they would have still have to say demo box. They are shielded by that agreement from any action from INTEL (there are ways INTEL could get NewEgg, but the results are very iffy and that type of action difficult, given how NewEgg quickly handled the situation and made sure everyone did get a GenuineIntel proc). NewEgg breaking that contract and saying yeah IPEX gave us counterfiet processors, we are sorry would have been the best solution for many, like Mr. HardOCP himself, but not only would they be out 60,000 (if IPEX doesn't refund NewEggs money), but would have to fight a contract dispute through court, which is just added money, while also losing IPEX as a supplier for their parts, other parts that maybe fine and which maybe helping keeping NewEgg's prices low.

There are just so many roads that you don't see... Just because you are looking North at what seems simple, doesn't mean that there are many other directions that must be considered and looked at...

1. It is safe to buy anything from NewEgg. They were just trying to save face at first but it is clear they were sold knockoffs.

2. No

3. TigerDirect.com

Newegg tried to go cheap clearly, and they got scammed. I have used them for many years with no problem. They are making it right for everyone affected.

ok thank you for clearing that up for me. i just don;t want to spend that much money and get burned i would not be a happy person

NewEgg is still a great source to get your parts. That hasn't changed. But obviously they need to hire a PR department or spend more money on the one they have. The best companies are always getting counterfeited so it's no surprise that Intel got shafted this time.

It's just bad that these got past the warehouse. NewEgg obviously cares about their customers as they instituted a return response immediately. Big props to them for that. That should ease your mind that they are still a good company. Dare I say an excellent company for purchasing from because they proved they will make wrongs right in a fast and courteous manner. Their return policy on this matter should have set your mind at ease :).

Now the lame ass story they were tossing around just shows that they are scared to lose business. But the end result of this is that they have learned that telling the truth is much better in the long run.

Cageymaru

After reading all this, I was shocked to see this happened, Now i am worried about buying computers part's online at all. i was going to spend $1,700-2,000 at newegg but i am thinking differnet now, I am going to micro center to get my core i7 920.

Man Himmy you need to Lrn2read. Everybody knows NewEgg said those boxes were Intel Demo Units. If everyone reading this thread and seeing the blatant counterfeit misspelled BS that was on the boxes could tell that they were counterfeit and absolutely nothing from Intel themselves; then why couldn't you?

NewEgg should have taken their heads out of the hole and read the Intel response. But no, they stuck to their story that they were from Intel. And you can say they were official or not "official" but Intel basically said "That shit ain't mine!" Nobody can slap Intel's name on any product whether free or paid for. You'll get sued so fast it will make your head swim. Even if you make FREE product with an Intel name on it there is a protocol for doing so. Sorry if you Himmy don't comprehend that.

And as far as NewEgg goes all they had to do was say the shit was counterfeit and it didn't come from D&H. But no, they waited and stuck with the "I hope this blows over" lame ass story and it didn't fly. Kyle stuck to his guns that it was crap; as he knew his readership knew it was bullshit. Sorry if we're more intellectual to know when someone is blowing smoke up our asses.

If you're reporting NEWS on a website, as Kyle has been doing since day 1 of me reading this website; then you'd realize that when he gets a scoop on a story he reports it. Simple as that; he reported as he was told straight from someone from NewEgg. He reports it as it's told to him. So your suggestion is wait until products are in consumer hands to report what's going on in the industry?

Now if that person at NewEgg was wrong, then so be it. NewEgg knew where the ripoffs originated from. Why didn't they just say up front that they were from IPEX? They didn't have issues mentioning IPEX when they fired them. And why all the smoke and mirrors and blaming Intel for it? When they said the crap was Intel Demo Units that means they are from Intel. It's an licensed Intel product. Thus that makes Intel culpable for mislabeling their demo products.

And them sending them out instead of the real CPU would be the equivalent to me ordering a Intel CPU and getting a demo model of a Intel CPU, and me returning it. No harm no foul. It would have been a simple mistake. But when you send out a fake Intel CPU, blatantly fake that any blind man can see, and tell us it's from Intel; it makes Intel look like shit for making it. And then state it was a Demo from Intel then we know you're full of it. Himmy, did you ever consider that maybe Kyle knows what an Intel demo looks like from past experience dealing with them? And the [H] readership also!

I knew the shit was fake from the first microseconds of looking at the pics. Why didn't you know it was fake Himmy? And better yet, why didn't NewEgg? I mean they order thousands of them at a time and they couldn't see it was fake? After Intel said it wasn't licensed from them, they still needed to investigate further to see if it was? And if I'm the typical Hardocp reader then I'm proud I'm smart enough to ascertain my left hand from my right unlike you Himmy.

The real loser here is Intel. Can't believe you'll thought that they would license a product that was rubbish like that. Some bullshit if you ask me. They didn't do anything wrong, yet they get branded for making a product that didn't even have proper spelling on it. You think they want this bad press? Why do you think they took the time to set the record straight so fast?

And I stick by my earlier thanks to Kyle and NewEgg. Next time I bet companies will learn that the truth will set you free.

My $0.02.

Cageymaru

Dude,

You need to go find the post from my wife, actually its quoted right below your post about I.P. and contracts, and even if Intel goes to NewEgg and says they our counterfeit, that NewEgg still has to honor the contract with IPEX and say demo boxes, or risk litegation with IPEX. This agreement also protects NewEgg from litegation from Intel as well, so there is some advantage to sticking with the contract.

This has come down to a law issue.

If you assign an agreement with me where you distribute my inventory, and agree that all information regarding product information and such comes from me as well and that I will explain any issues that you have with stock and will handle bad stock and we will give you an explanation, and you have to stick with what I say, otherwise I can sue you...

So then I give you a batch of Bad Nivida Cards and the problem is that they are demo units that we given to normal retail outlets, and that is what you end up telling your customers while making sure that you customers get real ones proactively. Then Nividia says hey, they are counterfeit... that puts you in a bad spot because if you break my contract by admitting counterfeit, you loose access to the rest of my probably clean massive supply of products that help you keep your prices below that of your other retailures and then you also have to worry about me taking legal action against you for a broken contract, as if it is a contract for a few million dollars that you just broke, you really could be hurt...

Sometimes that man in the middle is the messenger.... quite literally..... and in this case, NewEgg was stuck in a position in which not only were they the face of the problem, they had to protect their business positions and contracts with IPEX and their customers... IPEX said demo, Newegg had to report Demo, but newegg also proactively tried to fix the problem while it was all sorted out. What a very hidden thing here that you most don't see is how the other companies that supply NewEgg see how NewEgg handle business.... if NewEgg broke contract to "save face", it could have caused other companies to which NewEgg does business to rethink their contracts, and in the end...

The trustworthly company's prices would have gone way way up, or in an extreme situation, ceased to be.

This was not a Win-Win for NewEgg.

This was a try to Win with what you had situation and I think NewEgg came out sporting a pair of Kings at least and maybe a Pair of Aces... Everyone affected got money back or a new Proc, or the ones that tried to put it in and broke their board got a new board replaced, they also sent out emails to note possibly affect customers, and stayed with in currently and probably never known legal notation with with contract with IPEX.

They were in a VERY hard place to be for the cut throat business of computer hardware, and I have done business with them and other companies, and honestly when it comes to returns and refunds... they have been the best... I always have been able to talk to someone thre and they have always paid for return costs and no restocking fee or anything.

Law and contracts are funny things.....

Well imagine they came from one of the countries where labor is 12 cents an hour. They probably stole everything to make these so basically they were free to make.

Now imagine all the other companies who bought these from IPEX. Do you still think there's only 300 made? That's why the FBI is getting into this. Product like this usually ends up at swap meets and crap like that. Imagine buying one of these in the future while sniffing incense candles at the local swap meet lol.

Cageymaru

One thing I still don't understand: What was the point of the "counterfeiter" here making these units?

1) They went to a lot of trouble to make them seem semi-legit with logos, batch numbers, etc. I'd bet they paid thousands of dollars to upgrade the appearance of these fakes.
2) They HAD to know the copies weren't going to fool anyone and would be discovered eventually

What is the point? If the perpetrator didn't mind ripping people off, they could've just made reasonably official looking boxes with enough clay to make the boxes feel the right weight. But, instead of that, they went to a LOT of manufacturing effort/expense to make 300 semi-look-alike counterfeits. I have a hard time believing that a scam artist would go to that level of expense to manufacture bad replicas without some benefit to them for doing it.

Nothing I've seen in this thread explains the unknown bad guy's motive for spending so much money on making these fakes. (Although, I admit, I haven't read all 40+ pages)

Its safe to buy everything you need at NewEgg. If them showing their proactive response to e-mailing customers and then overnighting them new units isn't good enough... I don't know. You risk going to a different company because of the unknown of customer service.. What if you get a DOA 920 thats real from this other company.... (this does happen sometimes), will they react as fast as NewEgg in replacing your part?

2> No, I would buy everything at NewEgg as long as the price is cheaper or the same... if there is a LARGE difference in price including possible taxes and shipping, then it maybe cheaper to by from micro center....

3> Amazon had done well, but sometimes they sell other retailers stuff as their own... I find it risky in dealing with most other companies... you can try ZipZoomFly.com

Hehehehe,

Actually I do work, I write applictions for a company thats in Tampa, Florida. Lately this has allowed me to stay at home and game a lot. I'm given the specs, and the time line to finish the job, and if I bust ass and get it done months ahead of time, then I have those months to do what I want to do.

It makes it easy on us right now to start a family, but at times I do a lot of travel... 2 years ago i was a Hilton Diamond Member, and American Airlines Executive Platinum member, which just means I wasn't home most of the year.

But yeah, lately I get the chance to do a lot of gaming, but there are times where I do a lot of work.

;-D

That is a nice setup for starting a family. God Bless man.

http://www.crn.com/hardware/223200183;jsessionid=OA4WJBHHWTQDJQE1GHOSKH4ATMY32JVN

"In a statement issued to CRN, a senior D&H executive said "D&H takes this issue very seriously, as does the entire online and IT community, and we are anxious to see it resolved to the satisfaction of everyone involved. D&H has never bought anything other than genuine Intel product, sourced directly from Intel, and were very concerned that our name was inadvertently involved. We are very proud of the integrity we've built over our 92 years, and we are glad to see that the D&H name has been vindicated."

so it appears D & H are satisfied now

So you're saying that if NewEgg was selling fake Ipods for example and Apple caught wind of it that they wouldn't be sued to hell and back? Intel is so large, and with all the confidentiality agreements you may never see what the end result is, but I doubt if Intel sent them a nice letter saying "It's ok... We'll let you work through this in a timely manner!"

NewEgg disparaged Intel's good name in this. You say rock and a hard place; I say it would have been better to keep customers and state facts or at least say " I don't know what these are but they seem to not be Intel products." No, they straight out said that they were. They didn't have to mention IPEX or anybody; just say the stuff we sent out seems to be counterfeit and we are taking steps to rectify the situation. We cannot at this time reveal who the distributor was due to contractual reasons, but we are taking steps to investigate these with the proper authorities.

That would have been so easy to do. Why blame Intel for it? That's my question.

Cageymaru

Dude,

You need to go find the post from my wife, actually its quoted right below your post about I.P. and contracts, and even if Intel goes to NewEgg and says they our counterfeit, that NewEgg still has to honor the contract with IPEX and say demo boxes, or risk litegation with IPEX. This agreement also protects NewEgg from litegation from Intel as well, so there is some advantage to sticking with the contract.

This has come down to a law issue.

If you assign an agreement with me where you distribute my inventory, and agree that all information regarding product information and such comes from me as well and that I will explain any issues that you have with stock and will handle bad stock and we will give you an explanation, and you have to stick with what I say, otherwise I can sue you...

So then I give you a batch of Bad Nivida Cards and the problem is that they are demo units that we given to normal retail outlets, and that is what you end up telling your customers while making sure that you customers get real ones proactively. Then Nividia says hey, they are counterfeit... that puts you in a bad spot because if you break my contract by admitting counterfeit, you loose access to the rest of my probably clean massive supply of products that help you keep your prices below that of your other retailures and then you also have to worry about me taking legal action against you for a broken contract, as if it is a contract for a few million dollars that you just broke, you really could be hurt...

Sometimes that man in the middle is the messenger.... quite literally..... and in this case, NewEgg was stuck in a position in which not only were they the face of the problem, they had to protect their business positions and contracts with IPEX and their customers... IPEX said demo, Newegg had to report Demo, but newegg also proactively tried to fix the problem while it was all sorted out. What a very hidden thing here that you most don't see is how the other companies that supply NewEgg see how NewEgg handle business.... if NewEgg broke contract to "save face", it could have caused other companies to which NewEgg does business to rethink their contracts, and in the end...

The trustworthly company's prices would have gone way way up, or in an extreme situation, ceased to be.

This was not a Win-Win for NewEgg.

This was a try to Win with what you had situation and I think NewEgg came out sporting a pair of Kings at least and maybe a Pair of Aces... Everyone affected got money back or a new Proc, or the ones that tried to put it in and broke their board got a new board replaced, they also sent out emails to note possibly affect customers, and stayed with in currently and probably never known legal notation with with contract with IPEX.

They were in a VERY hard place to be for the cut throat business of computer hardware, and I have done business with them and other companies, and honestly when it comes to returns and refunds... they have been the best... I always have been able to talk to someone thre and they have always paid for return costs and no restocking fee or anything.

Law and contracts are funny things.....

This is almost certainly stolen property or fraud. I reported the auction to ebay, but I doubt they'll do anything about it since they likely have no proof of any wrongdoing.

I expect that nobody is going to receive anything at all, and the seller will be vanishing with the $80 of the hundreds of people who are buying these.

I wonder how that works with the ebay buyer protection

im tempted to order one just because...

Umm Zipzoomfly.com sold me a hard drive that was instock supposedly. For 2 weeks I waited for my hard drive and the website said "instock" the entire time. And my order said shipped the next day. I had UPS doing investigations and found out that they had just printed a label and had never actually shipped it. I haven't visited their website since.

Been buying from NewEgg every since and have been extremely happy. Dell is another good website if you can catch their deals on parts.

Cageymaru

Its safe to buy everything you need at NewEgg. If them showing their proactive response to e-mailing customers and then overnighting them new units isn't good enough... I don't know. You risk going to a different company because of the unknown of customer service.. What if you get a DOA 920 thats real from this other company.... (this does happen sometimes), will they react as fast as NewEgg in replacing your part?

2> No, I would buy everything at NewEgg as long as the price is cheaper or the same... if there is a LARGE difference in price including possible taxes and shipping, then it maybe cheaper to by from micro center....

3> Amazon had done well, but sometimes they sell other retailers stuff as their own... I find it risky in dealing with most other companies... you can try ZipZoomFly.com

I'm sorry but you're missing the point. If I owned Intel and NewEgg was disparaging my man like that I'd sue the pants off them. Stuff like that is libel. If anything Kyle was also sticking up for Intel during this. Intel was the biggest loser here as their product was trashed by NewEgg. When we saw the pics of the corny packaging, misspelled words, and blatant counterfeiting that was evident, we knew it wasn't from Intel. And NewEgg stuck to their guns that it was.

Cageymaru

How did Intel lose here? If EVERYONE knew they were fakes as you've stated before? Newegg had to cross their t's and dot their i's. When they confirmed their info (not just taking 1 customers pics and a statement from 1 vendor) they posted it. Before they confirmed their info, they posted what they thought they knew accordingly by using terms like "appears" and asked those affected to send back the product. Probably so that they could investigate it.

I'm pretty sure if Newegg blasted out a PR statement saying that "D&H sent us fake processors, Grey market... EVIL" the instant some customer claimed they got a fake, unethical competitors could easily sabotage Newegg. Newegg did the right thing by checking their facts before making bold statements. You can't make accusations w/o being sure first. Until then you have to take a softer/PC position. Hell I'm suprised Newegg even said "appears," since that implies there is a chance their distributor is shady. Thank you Kyle for making us aware of problem, and then apologizing for going with the unconfirmed inside source on the D&H thing. Good job Newegg for confirming your info before making negative implications.

I think someone should take the wife to bed. I really don't think Kyle is flying blind here nor does he need would he be interested in a pitty resume offer.

Trust me, not a pitty resume offer..... not really an offer at all, just call being kind... because I know that in the end there will be no need for lawyers.... so I think you need to keep you comments about my wifes profession seperate from my household life...

RE: Buying from Newegg

Bit OT (been following the thread though), but I thought I'd chime in about a similar experience. Several years ago, Around '06 during my Hi-Fi mid life crises, I ordered an audio card that was rumored to play 44.1kHz DTS-CDs just fine in Windows Media Center.

Long story short, Newegg had the card, but the Mfg. box was empty by the time it got to my door. They Cross-shipped a replacement, same story. Thinking this was going to be a "he said she said" argument, I got my guns ready, figuratively speaking. Newegg refunded the purchase and mailed an alternative card with a similar chipset, complementary.

I don't know what the deal was, but they fixed the problem in less than 2 weeks, which was great considered the 6 days of shipping time. It does sound the the Egg was trying to cover its Ass with the 920, which is usually the result of MBA weenies IMHO. And I'm glad [H] called them on this, as it will probably keep them from falling down that slippery slope we all hate.

2.5 cents

One thing I sure hope Newegg is doing and what the affected customers should demand is free cross shipping. I read somewhere, maybe here, that a guy was going to have to wait more than a week while he goes through the RMA process.

Newegg really needs to get new processors to these people shipped overnight, without delay. No waiting whatsoever.

Overnight cross shipping....do it Newegg.

Why wasn't this on the front page sooner? I'm a little worried seeing as how i just ordered an i7 920 last week and about to put it all together. I hope everything's ok when I open the box. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back