Anyone else not like HDR?

Do you like the look of HDR?

• Yes

Votes: 112 81.8%
  • No

Votes: 25 18.2%

• Total voters
Splinter Cell: Caos Theory did it the best IMO, get the patch that enables it for the NV30 cards, it is a freakin dream!

It does look worse then many current and even older games, IMO. Look at the female character, is she radioactive? She's literally glowing :eek:

The people who say that HDR is different from bloom, well I have to say that making a distinction between the two is pointless because you can't select HDR with out the bloom effect. Choosing just bloom will give you a less pronounced bloom than what you'd get when you select HDR. I've yet to see a game that demonstrates HDR with OUT bloom. Until that happens, I'm going to say I hate the look of HDR.

I can't just say "Yes" or "No".

In some games it helps, others it hinders. It just depends on the game.

I agree it looks good in some games and other games overuse or misuse HDR. I wish that all games should have the option to disable HDR because it can cause eye strain and migranes.

Two similar games for example: GTA IV uses a little HDR for head lights & lamps (mostly at night), and a decent amount for the sky adding a realistic touch to the game. Burnout Paradise uses a ton of HDR on the road, the entire car, and the sky, so not only does the game play and look amazing, but you have this constant glare from the trunk of your hood and the road causing headaches if you play the game too long. I had to adjust my color settings to warm, low contrast, and high brightness to turn the bright white into a dull orange.

HDR byitself is just a huge dynamic range that shows things in a way that human eye would not be able to see.
All other 'fuzzy' , 'sepia' effects are not HDR related they are just regular filters. They might affect HDR but that's not thir main goal. They are overused for wow effect mostly.

Just looking at the images of that benchmark by 3Dmark just looks awful, like
adding halos to every light source some how "improves" the look of it..

just what the heck are u talking about??!?

HDR is the future, like it or not
HDR constantly changes, ergo u can't "look" at it in screenshots :rolleyes:

What? Not like HDR? Why..? I don't like when developers poorly implement it. Lost Coast was a great example of HDR, and it still looks better then it does in most games. Oblivion was nice, try loading the game with bloom and switch to HDR, that might change your mind a bit...

Some games do it right, while many others have overkill HDR. A simple sunrise can look as if a nuclear bomb went off nearby. Thats just bad. It needs to be used with a lot more moderation.

Generally HDR looks fine, just as long as its not over exaggerated such as DiRT or GRID.

Generally HDR looks fine, just as long as its not over exaggerated such as DiRT or GRID.

I agree, i really like HDR and depth of field when done right. Motion blur on the other hand is an effect i can´t stand.

I thought the motion blur was perfect in Crysis. It offset running at 18fps the whole time nicely.

HDR is just a more accurate rendering of light values, in itself it doesn't cause much of a change other than it eliminates banding in a scene with large differences between very bright and very dark areas.

Other effects rely on HDR to function well such as overbright, bloom, eye edaption to light levels and so on, these are quite often the effects that are overdone, especially bloom, these are the things people tend to complain about.

There's no such thing as having too much HDR, it really only describes the accuracy of the light values, it's like saying you're using a screen resolution that's too high, it doesn't really exist.

HDR is just a more accurate rendering of light values, in itself it doesn't cause much of a change other than it eliminates banding in a scene with large differences between very bright and very dark areas.

Other effects rely on HDR to function well such as overbright, bloom, eye edaption to light levels and so on, these are quite often the effects that are overdone, especially bloom, these are the things people tend to complain about.

There's no such thing as having too much HDR, it really only describes the accuracy of the light values, it's like saying you're using a screen resolution that's too high, it doesn't really exist.
yeah I know, it's akin to people complaining about having a 2048X1536 15" monitor. No, having that high resolution monitor IS a good thing, you want more resolution, however your problem is that the screen is 15" and you don't have a resolution independent OS, fix one or the other problem and it's a good thing that you have such a high resolution monitor.

However, the problem is, I can't avoid the annoying effects that come with HDR which forces me to disable it.

HDR isnt the problem its the over use of the brown that bugs me

Jum, not all the HDR implementation adjusts the light intensity when moving from dark to bright areas, look at Serious Sam 2 and Bioshock, they both have HDR, the dark to contrast ratio is excellent and and is HDR!! but it doesn't have that kind of dynamic lightning like in other games like Half Life 2 Episode 1 and 2, Oblivion, Crysis etc.

HDR isn't about light colour range at all, but light intensity. HDR techniques attempt to simulate the washingout/glaring effect you experience on your owns eyes when exposed to highly intense light that you normally get from the sun. Your monitor can't possibly put out the same intensity of light as the sun and so the washingout/glaring effect you experience is simulated via a variety of techniques. Bloom is simply one effect used in most HDR techniques.

Personally I think HDR, when done well, is a very good thing. HL2 and Crysis are good examples.

Any mediocre shit on a console is bound to have shitty HDR. That's expected.

HDR is about light color range, light intensity and difference between high and low contrast scenarios, the eye adaptation from dark to bright is not HDR, it's a complement which add more realism. When the sunlight hits a blue painted wall, does it look white or pale? No, it doesn't wash out the colors at all, (Unless if it's painted with light colors like baby blue). it makes them more intense (Unless if the wall is painted with a shiny coat). HL2 HDR looks fine, but have you seen when she (I forgot her name) is standing up under a lamp, her fur gets so bright that it looks washed out and looses detail, that's something that doesn't happen in real life or in Oblivion (Unless if the sun hits the earth, by that time your cornea will be melt)

Back