Anyone else having problems with Borderlands 2?

murkris118

Limp Gawd
First of all credits to 2K for making the game fuckin awesome because it immediately pulled me in eventhough I have not played Borderlands 1, massive fun. Now to the problems, I own a rig that can easily max out the game and still get 100+ fps but the problem is the fps drops massively during intense fight scenes ( 100 to 40 fps !!) and when just roaming around the planet which is very annoying. I know that Nvidia had campaigned for this game since very long and that the game has turned out well but this fps drop thing is unacceptable. I have seen tons of people complain about this in forums but nobody seems to have found a solid fix other than 2K releasing a patch for the game or if Nvidia releases a magical driver which solves the issues.

Now my concern is, am I the only one having this problem or are any of you guys with beastly rigs experiencing the same fps dips?... if so have you found a cure?... please share guys...

Not really. Some slow downs but nothing annoying. 2500K at 4.4 and a 670 w 8gigs sys ram. All high including phys. and smaa injector @ 1600x1200.

Not really. Some slow downs but nothing annoying. 2500K at 4.4 and a 670 w 8gigs sys ram. All high including phys. and smaa injector @ 1600x1200.

I have the exact same setup and screen res. all things maxed and have same experience as you

TotalBiscuit mentioned in his 'WTF is?' of BL2 that Nvidia are aware of issues regarding frames dropping more than they should and are working on it.

TotalBiscuit mentioned in his 'WTF is?' of BL2 that Nvidia are aware of issues regarding frames dropping more than they should and are working on it.

Well thats a relief especially when you have a 500$ video card and cant even max out an Unreal Engine 3 game lol!.... this engine reaks of console porting, the same thing happens in Arkham city when you turn dx11 features on everything goes berzerk and you get massive fps drops every 1 minute when you span Gotham. Rocksteady`s patch was also useless unless you have a quad sli nuke which could run the game considering its flaws...

Good to hear that they are working on some performance improvements. I get some slowdown at times when it doesn't seem like it should be slowing down, and dropped frames as well.

I had one slow down issue, playing on my hd6950 @ 5760x1080. Dont know why but started the game up and it was very laggy and slow. What was weird is I have played hours before this point and it was great, averaging around 45 fps. Shut th game down out of frustation and started it again about 20 minutes later and it was fine, now issues anymore lol.

Overall im very happy with how my 6950 has been handling this game, glad to know i cna probably sneak another 6-12 months out of it before i really need to upgrade.

If I turn network mode to open join I get occasional freezes when presumably someone tries to join. If I change to invite only the freezes go away.

Running the game maxed out with 8xAA in the Control Panel with max Physx at 1680x1050 (using older monitor til new one gets in) with signature rig with zero problems. Even in intense combat scenarios with other people playing and shit and Physx flying everywhere! My cousin who runs a damn near similar setup (actually straight copy cept he's using ATX mobo) runs at the same settings at 1080p with no problems either.

Just luck I guess...that or the GTX 580 has been ironed out (probably one of the main cards they used for developing it?).

I get fps drops. Watch your GPU usage, mine goes from 98% down to 30% for no apparent reason - if those of you having drops could check yours out, I'd guess you'd find the same.

Haven't experienced any slowdowns here personally but I'm guessing it is mostly due to settings. Rig in sig and settings as follows:

Drivers: 306.23
Res: 2560x1600
General settings: All maxed
FPS limit: 60
V-sync: enabled
FSAA: On
SSAO: On
PhysX: High

I was actually very surprised at how well the game performs. I'm guessing the huge framerate drops could be related to v-sync being disabled and when the intensive battles start, the frame hit makes it very noticeable, ie. dropping from 100 - 40fps would be much more noticible than 60 - 40fps

Haven't experienced any slowdowns here personally but I'm guessing it is mostly due to settings. Rig in sig and settings as follows:

I was actually very surprised at how well the game performs. I'm guessing the huge framerate drops could be related to v-sync being disabled and when the intensive battles start, the frame hit makes it very noticeable, ie. dropping from 100 - 40fps would be much more noticible than 60 - 40fps

Do you have Adaptive Vsync enabled in the Control Panel or have you set it to Use 3D application setting?.... What is the minimum fps you get during intense scenes like huge particles flying all over the place and enemies shooting at you from all angles?... mine drops to 40-45 during those scenes... is this normal?... I have also maxed everything out but at 1080p.. weirdly the lag seems more for my setup.

Running the game maxed out with 8xAA in the Control Panel with max Physx at 1680x1050 (using older monitor til new one gets in) with signature rig with zero problems. Even in intense combat scenarios with other people playing and shit and Physx flying everywhere! My cousin who runs a damn near similar setup (actually straight copy cept he's using ATX mobo) runs at the same settings at 1080p with no problems either.

Just luck I guess...that or the GTX 580 has been ironed out (probably one of the main cards they used for developing it?).

Unless you have some kind of magic 580 from mars, I seriously doubt you're running 8XMSAA, and high physx with no fps drops at all.... in fact I'm certain you're not.

have an over clocked 670 and get fps drops with FXAA and low physx

Unless you have some kind of magic 580 from mars, I seriously doubt you're running 8XMSAA, and high physx with no fps drops at all.... in fact I'm certain you're not.

have an over clocked 670 and get fps drops with FXAA and low physx

I yet have to try the game with low Physx and FXAA but that destroys the point of playing a NVIDIA certified game with a NVIDIA High end video card. That is why I spent 500$ on one, to max out games :mad:.... they should have put little more thought on optimizing the performance on Kepler especially when they market the game like shit!!... Good to hear that both GBX and NVIDIA are working on it so that they release a patch or a driver update reasonably fast.

I haven't had a single slow down with everything maxed out (even physx) with my SLI480s

I am only playing at 1680x1050 though. My cards are slightly overclocked though.

I guess it only happens to some people with specific setups but there are loads of complaints about this in many other threads.

Im not having slowdown issues, but last night in certain firefights my game would literally freeze for just a second like its gonna crash, but then its fine. over and over every 30 seconds or so. Then it would just just go away. It's not in all fire fights either.

I guess it only happens to some people with specific setups but there are loads of complaints about this in many other threads.

If I turn network mode to open join I get occasional freezes when presumably someone tries to join. If I change to invite only the freezes go away.

I'll try that. Now that I think of it I played in a private game late last night and didn't see it.

Im experiencing the same odd dips in FPS 1920*1080. Sometines as low as 34 fps. I have my frame capped at 120fps vsync on via control panel. Ill try the latest physx driver someone posted a link to...

Shocked that for once AMD's drivers run this game like silk, even though its a TWIWMTBP or wtfever. I "only" get around 40-45 FPS at all times at 2560x1600 with everything maxed but PhysX at low, but it never drops or spikes, just constant no matter what is going on.

Runs great for me at 1920x1080 on the rig in the sig. Only issues I've noticed is that the textures on the ammo in the vending machines are horrible. They look very blurry. Other than that, game is awesome!

i was having this problem too. although I think I have something wrong with my rig.

replacing my mobo on friday and hopefully that clears shit up.

Very similar experience here. Everything's the same except I've got FPS uncapped (but V-sync on, so doesn't really matter) and using SMAA instead of FXAA, but otherwise same settings. Even before I got my 650 in for dedicated PhysX, my 670 was running the game just fine by itself. Even with lots of enemies on-screen and debris and stuff flying around, I've never seen a significant slowdown.

I wonder if the issue is with CPU speed. It seems everyone I've seen with performance issues has their CPU running at stock or very lightly overclocked. I don't see many people with their CPU at 4GHz+ having many issues with performance.

Very similar experience here. Everything's the same except I've got FPS uncapped (but V-sync on, so doesn't really matter) and using SMAA instead of FXAA, but otherwise same settings. Even before I got my 650 in for dedicated PhysX, my 670 was running the game just fine by itself. Even with lots of enemies on-screen and debris and stuff flying around, I've never seen a significant slowdown.

I wonder if the issue is with CPU speed. It seems everyone I've seen with performance issues has their CPU running at stock or very lightly overclocked. I don't see many people with their CPU at 4GHz+ having many issues with performance.

PhysX has no impact on CPU though when using a Nvidia card, I thought.

Thats the whole incentive of buying a damn Nvidia card is because the cards themselves can run PhysX instead of the CPU like AMD card owners.

that would be annoying as shit

Thats the whole incentive of buying a damn Nvidia card is because the cards themselves can run PhysX instead of the CPU like AMD card owners.

If I recall, PhysX DOES run on the nVidia GPU a high % of time, but there are times where the CPU kicks in for some parts.

Might not be the actual PhysX effects, though. Could very well be something else CPU intensive when there's lots of stuff going on on-screen.

I'm having some problems with BL2.

1) Alot of their menues still do not support widescreen aspects (eyefinity, etc). Such as select your character on the main menu. The icon for saving ends up on the right monitor, while the travel countdown appears on the left, rather than just putting the UI in the main window like it would with 1920x1080 resolution. I'm not sure how they fubared this as they got the main UI working just fine in widescreen mode.

2) When loading in widescreen mode 6036x1080 (bezel compensation), I crash about 80% of the time during the intro splash screens. I have no idea why.

3) Half the time when using the store and using the mouse wheel, the mouse wheel gets inverted. If I scroll down the list, it goes up and vice versa. I have to keep reloading the store until this works. Again, 80% of the time I have this issue. Probably related to wide screen. All in all, probably 65% of the time this happens.

4) When hosting as a server on the LAN, I crash every hour or two. It's mostly stable and I'm the only client which crashes.

5) I have alot of issues when I'm moving my character becomes "stuck." Like there is an invisible wall that I can't move past. If I jump a few times and hit the keyboard keys randomly it becomes unstuck, but for awhile it seems to just forget the W key is there.

Other than that (which those are very annoying) the game is great.

Last edited:
Hmm played on invite only game with a friend today no freezing definitely was the open internet game causing it.

Im not getting any frame rate drops on my set up period.

First of all credits to 2K for making the game fuckin awesome because it immediately pulled me in eventhough I have not played Borderlands 1, massive fun. Now to the problems, I own a rig that can easily max out the game and still get 100+ fps but the problem is the fps drops massively during intense fight scenes ( 100 to 40 fps !!) and when just roaming around the planet which is very annoying. I know that Nvidia had campaigned for this game since very long and that the game has turned out well but this fps drop thing is unacceptable. I have seen tons of people complain about this in forums but nobody seems to have found a solid fix other than 2K releasing a patch for the game or if Nvidia releases a magical driver which solves the issues.

Now my concern is, am I the only one having this problem or are any of you guys with beastly rigs experiencing the same fps dips?... if so have you found a cure?... please share guys...

the slow downs are 100% physX related if its happening during fighting.. set physX to low and the problems go away(physX look better on low anyways).

I have not had any issues and I maxed everything out including PhysX @ 2560x1440.

The only thing I noticed is the texture pop in is kind of bad,

3) Half the time when using the store and using the mouse wheel, the mouse wheel gets inverted. If I scroll down the list, it goes up and vice versa. I have to keep reloading the store until this works. Again, 80% of the time I have this issue. Probably related to wide screen.

So which is it, half the time or 80% of the time?

Seriously though I have the same issue, and I've also noticed that when it occured the store window wont scroll the list of items.

The only other issues I'm having is that I can't figure out what I'm missing to set up a LAN for my son and I. in BL1 we simple selected LAN, set up to host and it showed to the other as a joinable LAN game but on BL2 nothing I've done allows either of us to see the other in the LAN menu.

Now the LAN issue is really only annoying because of the frequent loss of connections Steam suffers when playing BL2. I think we've suffered through more disconnects from Steam in the past week then I have since first joining Steam, shortly before HL2 came out as I recall.

So which is it, half the time or 80% of the time?

The only other issues I'm having is that I can't figure out what I'm missing to set up a LAN for my son and I. in BL1 we simple selected LAN, set up to host and it showed to the other as a joinable LAN game but on BL2 nothing I've done allows either of us to see the other in the LAN menu.

Probably closer to 65% =)

I LAN with 2 others in the house. I just pick my character. I select network type to LAN. Then I click continue. (this will start up a session as me as the host)

The others click network type and make it LAN. Then click find games and it will display my game, then they join it. Once they join they can select their characters.

Not the most intuitive, but it seems to work just fine.

I bought it on Friday night and I already have 19 hours into it.

For shame Komskies. For shame.

the slow downs are 100% physX related if its happening during fighting.. set physX to low and the problems go away(physX look better on low anyways).

As you said when I lowered Physx to medium I am getting stable 60 fps.

My settings are:

Evrything on high
Physx: Medium
Vsync: ON
FPS cap: 60

WTF! if a 680 coupled even with a 2500k @ stock cannot keep a stable 60 fps in intense scenes then 2K and Nvidia really have some work to do in terms of increasing performance....:D

Back