Anyone else have this problem?

This is like... the third time I've re-piped this machine. I'm just never happy with how it turns out, even though it's all been functional. Thank God PETG is cheap.

IMG_20170615_213758166.jpg

I never seem to know when to leave well enough alone.

But then... This one isn't entirely because I was unhappy with the old plumbing job... :wacky:

IMG_20170614_173559092.jpg

Vertical GPU, here I come!

Looks real good to me! I can't wait to see the Verticle card plumbed in! It's gonna look sick!

Yeah I saw that with the custom bracket you fabricated! Real nice job!

WOW! That looks badass! What's with the second video card? You running triple screens?

WOW! That looks badass! What's with the second video card? You running triple screens?
Nah, just double. The second one is a passively cooled GT 730... I didn't want my 1080 to have to draw two screens... I still don't know if it made any difference, honestly, but the 730 was really cheap. XD

Nah, just double. The second one is a passively cooled GT 730... I didn't want my 1080 to have to draw two screens... I still don't know if it made any difference, honestly, but the 730 was really cheap. XD

I make my TXP power three screens and it loves it. The difference? You're drawing more power with the 730, another 30-40 watts I would guess for 2D stuff.

I make my TXP power three screens and it loves it. The difference? You're drawing more power with the 730, another 30-40 watts I would guess for 2D stuff.
Yep, and I don't run any games at all on it; about the most demanding thing it does is YouTube.

I'm not up on how running a second monitor off your GPU works, really. I would assume that driving the additional display has to use some GPU capacity that would otherwise be available for your game on your main monitor to use, but even then, is it offset by the fact that your primary card gets cut down to PCIe x8 by the presence of the second card?

It's a mystery to me, but again, the second card was dirt cheap. XD

Yep, and I don't run any games at all on it; about the most demanding thing it does is YouTube.

I'm not up on how running a second monitor off your GPU works, really. I would assume that driving the additional display has to use some GPU capacity that would otherwise be available for your game on your main monitor to use, but even then, is it offset by the fact that your primary card gets cut down to PCIe x8 by the presence of the second card?

It's a mystery to me, but again, the second card was dirt cheap. XD

Without knowing or putting aside your rigs particulars, adding a second card could cut your pci lane width as you wrote. On a single card in 3D use, it doesn't really matter unless you were pushing a large resolution.

Without knowing or putting aside your rigs particulars, adding a second card could cut your pci lane width as you wrote. On a single card in 3D use, it doesn't really matter unless you were pushing a large resolution.

Yep, my mobo is only x16 on the first slot when no other GPU is present. Add a second one, SLI or not, and it gets chopped to x8 on both.

That said, at least at 1080p (where I usually game), the performance difference between x16 and x8 seems to be less than a percent. *shrug*

Honestly, I kinda like it because it's so funny to see my passively cooled, low-TDP 730 run hotter under idle than my 1080 runs under load. I like contrasting extremes. XD

The other thing to keep in mind is that you are drawing those extra watts thru the motherboard, pushing up vrm temps etc etc. The 730 draws all of its power from the slot right?

The other thing to keep in mind is that you are drawing those extra watts thru the motherboard, pushing up vrm temps etc etc. The 730 draws all of its power from the slot right?
Correct, no additional PCIE connectors in use.

Maybe I'll give this a proper test once my machine is running again. But there's a good chance I won't, since it's now much more difficult to remove and reinstall that little 730. XD

Raspberry Pi use case #46: backup machine when you've got your rig torn apart and are waiting on parts in the mail.

IMG_20170617_144901588.jpg

Ahh so it'll run along the GPU? Hmm... yeah that'll work. It'll look like a long Z of sorts, right?

Ahh so it'll run along the GPU? Hmm... yeah that'll work. It'll look like a long Z of sorts, right?
Yeah, kinda.

See the tube coming from behind the GPU up to the rad? I was thinking of matching that angle with the upward bend. So it'll come out of the res, 90 toward the back of the case, then bend up to hit the fitting on the GPU.

It'll look sharp. I mean it looks nice now. That bend coming from the card towards the small rad is gonna be a tight squeeze with 2x 90's. A tall "Z" of sorts as well. It will be really wicked clean. You got your job cut out for ya with that, but you can do it young grasshoppa ;)

It'll look sharp. I mean it looks nice now. That bend coming from the card towards the small rad is gonna be a tight squeeze with 2x 90's. A tall "Z" of sorts as well. It will be really wicked clean. You got your job cut out for ya with that, but you can do it young grasshoppa ;)
Glad I did it.

IMG_20170704_140300068.jpg

Back