Anyone else have GPS issues with every phone?

dandragonrage

[H]F Junkie
Here are the decent Android phones I've owned:

-OG Droid
-Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch
-LG G2
-Oneplus One

With every single one of these phones, within 6 months, GPS has gotten really poor. Every single one of these phones started off by requiring a reboot for it to work, which my OPO has just done. And if I lose signal by going in a tunnel, I have to reboot my phone after to possibly get a GPS signal. And even then it's not a sure thing that I will get the signal. And if it does work, it takes several minutes of trying to get a GPS lock after the reboot to do so. I've run GPS Status and Toolbox on all of these phones except the OG Droid. It doesn't seem to help at all for my OPO but it seemed to help a little on the SGS2.

On every one of those phones I also tried custom OS and different modems and stuff (as well as trying to go back to the original stock OS and modem when that had been updated). Nothing has ever worked for me.

I'll be buying a Garmin again (made the mistake of lending the last one to a friend) but I was just curious if anyone else has had this amount of trouble getting GPS on Android to work (and continue to do so). And is any of this problem related to the junky Qualcomm CPUs that most manufacturers use?

Oh and this happens no matter where I am, even when my cell reception is good.

Last edited:
Never had a problem with GPS on any phone.
Iphone 3gs, 4s, 5s, 6+
Galaxy S4, HTC M8, Galaxy S6, Nexus 6.

Works fine for me but I set it to device only (GPS) instead of high accuracy in location.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The other thing to check is if you have a good connection to the GPS antenna on your back cover by cleaning and raising the contacts as needed but be gentle as they're delicate and can snap off. Look on YouTube or Google for your phone model.

I've noticed sometimes custom AOSP ROMs have worse GPS performance on my GS4. Otherwise, my GPS is often able to lock even indoors and locks within seconds outdoors.

The other thing to check is if you have a good connection to the GPS antenna on your back cover by cleaning and raising the contacts as needed but be gentle as they're delicate and can snap off. Look on YouTube or Google for your phone model.

I'll look into it, thanks

Back