Anyone else got a 6700XT?

I've got one for my test bench. I don't have any feelings about it either way. It works.

Yes: got a stock AMD version from Micro Center (US tech-oriented physical retailer) on the day of release (waited outside), at the MSRP of $479 USD (before tax).

The RX 6700 XT was trashed by a lot of online tech websites (that seemingly ignored the reality of current COVID-19 pandemic conditions & pricing), so I figured that a lot of folks would buy too much into such reviews, and not show up (talked to other folks in the outdoor queue, and they had the same idea I did). It was available for well after 9am in the morning: last guy got his at 10am, which (a year ago) was practically miraculous, especially for all the lines outside Micro Center at the time for halfway decent gaming video cards. Shows that we really need to read carefully between the lines of reviews, instead of blindly accepting whatever reviewers say as gospel.

Side note: later that night, sold my RX 5700 XT for well over the cost of my RX 6700 XT ...
Huh. The Micro Center here has pretty much been fully stocked on AMD cards for months now, and frankly lot of Nvidia cards sitting now. The lines outsides I think haven't been a thing for a while.

What's this $480 Thursday you speak of?
Thursday morning AMD Direct queue. 9:55 est to join, then at 10 or so everyone gets a random wait time. Past 3 weeks has been easy to get msrp 6700xts, or a 6900xt if you want it. Even if it says more than an hour, usually once the 6800s disappear the queue shortens by a lot.

Thursday morning AMD Direct queue. 9:55 est to join, then at 10 or so everyone gets a random wait time. Past 3 weeks has been easy to get msrp 6700xts, or a 6900xt if you want it. Even if it says more than an hour, usually once the 6800s disappear the queue shortens by a lot.
That is great news. Specially since I took a random day off this Thursday. Time to set a reminder and hopefully luck out. Tempted to try and get a 6800XT from that then since I was getting close to buying a 6700XT at $600 +/-. Thanks a lot for the info.

That is great news. Specially since I took a random day off this Thursday. Time to set a reminder and hopefully luck out. Tempted to try and get a 6800XT from that then since I was getting close to buying a 6700XT at $600 +/-. Thanks a lot for the info.
You'll need luck for the 6800s, they go faaaaast.

Huh. The Micro Center here has pretty much been fully stocked on AMD cards for months now, and frankly lot of Nvidia cards sitting now. The lines outsides I think haven't been a thing for a while.

For sure: like I mentioned in my post, I got my RX 6700 XT on its release date last year (March 18th, 2021) -- as for the outside queues for Micro Center, that pretty much died down since late January/early February (as the various Micro Center-focused Discords I'm on have noted); you can reserve on the Micro Center website (from the Video Card section), then show up in-store.
Most likely, retailers are just hoping to clear inventory before the new wave of GPUs from both NVIDIA & AMD late this year (RX 6x50 & RTX 3090 Ti notwithstanding); that's why we're seeing some price "drops" (relatively speaking, from pandemic highs) on GPUs recently.

I bought a 6700xt on the forum but was never able to get it running properly since i bought it.

So it just sits collecting dust :(

Got a 6700xt last week, great card. After looking at the most recent benchmarks, I couldn't really justify a 6800 against it.

Which card?
Don't know which one they got. But watching reviews before I ordered mine it sounds like all have a chance of having coil whine.

My 6700xt was supposed to arrive today but FedEx updated and it's delayed until tomorrow. :-/ Hoping mine doesn't have any coil whine and if it's extreme I hope to be able to exchange/rma it

My amd direct 6700xt just arrived, with POS increasingly likely soon, gonna return it unless someone wants it at cost.

Bykski waterblock arrived from AliExpress a lot quicker than expected. Time to see what it does

IMG_20220410_170805.jpg

I have a 6700XT and love it. Ever since I got my 27" ASUS 1440p/144hz monitor like three years ago, I have been chasing FPS at 144hz. I had a Radeon VII, then 5700XT and now the 6700XT that I bought just a couple months ago. Gaming at 1440p/144hz, this card blows the other two away.

WTF FedEx.... Shipped originally Friday. Expected Sunday. Delayed until Monday on Saturday. Now delayed until Tuesday....

As an added bonus sold my GTX 1070 on Saturday. :-/ Starting to have withdrawals.

WTF FedEx.... Shipped originally Friday. Expected Sunday. Delayed until Monday on Saturday. Now delayed until Tuesday....

As an added bonus sold my GTX 1070 on Saturday. :-/ Starting to have withdrawals.
mine was similar. supposed to arrive on a wednesday. delayed to thursday. delayed to friday. delayed to saturday. They tried to deliver saturday at 9am. I was gone, hiking. I signed the doortag and they left it on sunday, around noon.

Holy shit 120FPS @ 2K on the FF VII remake max settings with only a i7-7700k driving it. I can't believe reviews were so hard on this card.

Holy shit 120FPS @ 2K on the FF VII remake max settings with only a i7-7700k driving it. I can't believe reviews were so hard on this card.
Reviews were hard on it mostly due to the pricing. Its a mostly 3060 ti level of performance----and occasionally matches or beats a 3070. but, only $20 less than a 3070 (founder's edition), $80 more than a 3060 ti (founder's edition). And it does lack some of the features Nvidia has. Such as great video encoding quality, DLSS, and better ray tracing performance (but also, some cool tools for streamers or business users----Nvidia broadcast. Which uses CUDA and Tensor cores to do noise removal from audio, and background blur/removal/replacement for cameras).

*AMD's Fidelity FX super resolutions and RSR were not avialable when the 6700 XT launched and was reviewed.

I think the NVENC encoder is the most valuable piece, followed by Nvidia Broadcast. But all of that combined does create value and calls the 6700 XT pricing into question. To be clear, I don't think the pricing is crazy or anything. Just saying, this is the core reason reviews were hard on it.

Last edited:
I mean yeah, if 6800s and 3070s were actually available it would be a somewhat different story. As of now it's the best native 1440p GPU for the price.

So far, the card has been good to me. While I'd have preferred a 6800XT or 3080 level card, considering my upgrade cycle, it's probably best I didn't invest in a higher-end GPU. I have my card clocked at 2720 Mhz Core, and 2150 Mem Clock and in games like AC Valhalla the lowest frame rate I've seen was 83 and that was going through a foggy area with all sorts of lighting, and smoke and particle effects going on at the same time. I don't have every setting maxed out though, the ones I turned down were volumetric clouds, because c'mon, who really stops and stares at the detail of the freaking clouds in a videogame, motion blur, because yeah, it sucks, and depth of field because to me I don't like the bokeh effect, especially not if it impacts performance in any measure. Borderlands 3 it varies between 92-110 FPS, but being the FPS junkie I am I just use RSR on that upscaling 1080P to 1440P with really no image loss, outside of few jagged edges, and some minor blurring, in a game like that I want the most FPS and with RSR I get 144 rock-solid FPS. Witcher 3 while going through trees and just running around the map I get roughly 110 FPS at ultra, 100'ish with hair works enabled.

It's been a solid bump up in performance from the 5700XT, not thrilled about the price I paid, but when the card has been going for $900 plus for the past year, I guess I have to accept that $649 was a good deal to jump on, especially if I wanted my PC to be able to use DX Ultimate features. If you ask me it's sorta been an unsung hero for AMD, if not GPU's in general, its price is a lot lower in today's market than the card(s) it's competing with, and it's offering performance up to, if not surpassing, in a lot of cases, and the only next logical step up from it if you had to stick to the mid-range cards would be the 3070Ti, which is still going for north of $750, and there's a video on Youtube showing that the 6700XT as of recently is on par with the 3070Ti, hell in this video, strangely enough, it beat the 3070Ti in Witcher 3, not just by a few frames, but almost 20 FPS and this was an actual name play video, not a graph or benchmark. Unfortunately, there are about 20 or so other gameplay footage videos showing the exact opposite, so I don't know if that was a fluke with this guy's performance, or if he was utilizing SAM, or if those other videos are just giving a leg up to the Nvidia card by enabling features since most just blaze through the settings, or don't show them at all. Most, if not all don't use features like SAM to do a comparison which I think, with it working on 3xxx series CPU's there's no excuse not to enable it to see how it impacts performance, especially since recent drivers have improved SAM performance, namely in Horizon Zero Dawn where the 3070 and 6700XT were literally pulling the same FPS in the same exact scene, with the same exact settings, whereas SAM in HZD didn't do jack for AMD, it actually negatively impacted performance.

At the end of the day, the one fault I have to say with the 6700XT is going with a 192-bit bus, if they would have used a 256-bit bus, it would have beaten, or tied the 3070 in almost every scenario. I heard with the refreshes coming out that the 6750XT is rumored to have a 256-bit bus, which is seriously making me kick myself for not waiting, but at the same time with the refreshes coming out they're probably going to drive down the costs of the regular 6xxx series, which would definitely if the performance leap isn't tremendous, would be a leg up for the 6700XT, especially if it drops to the $400 MSRP price point, at that point the card would probably be the best bang for the buck card on the market, of course, if you can get it at that price.

Results are in. With everything maxed out as far as the AMD software will let me my 6700xt jumped up about 10% to a gpu score of 14232 in 3dmark (FWIW). Temps maxed out at 40c on the chip and low 50s on the junction. Overall I'm pretty happy with that.

*Edit* This is of course with the aforementioned waterblock.

Last edited:
Although it wasn't particularly hot or loud to begin with, I undervolted mine (AMD reference) and the average temp dropped ~10 degrees.

Last edited:
I have a reference 6700xt that I bought for $500. I'm pretty happy with it at 1440p@100fps at mostly high settings. huge step up over my 5700xt, which I sold for $800. Do the math, I got a better card and I made $300 profit. First time ever.

When the 7700 or 7800s come out, if I can get one of them at MSRP, I will be selling mine for $400-500 maybe and keep the good times rolling,

Ihuge step up over my 5700xt, which I sold for $800. Do the math, I got a better card and I made $300 profit.
Who in the hell buys a 5700xt for $800? Maybe I should pull the 5700xt out of my VR machine if they are going for that much.

Who in the hell buys a 5700xt for $800? Maybe I should pull the 5700xt out of my VR machine if they are going for that much.
Maybe if you get lucky (on eBay at least). Nowadays they average much closer to $500, which is still a pretty good sale.

it was 6 months ago, right in the middle of high prices. And it was $1000 lol, ebay took out their cut.

Also, the 5700xt is much much better at mining then 6700xt

Just seems hardly anyone has one or admits to having one.

I have one! Yes I know when it came out people were like "where does it fit?" and later on that is still the case. But a lot of reviewers seem to forget that whilst it wasn't much of an upgrade from previous gen...for those of us on a RX480 or similar...big leap!

I got mine purely because last summer 6700XTs were the only mid-high end card available in the UK in any number. I got mine for £630 but they went up a lot more and are now back to that price.

I've enjoyed it. It's done all i want from it. My brother is now enjoying the RX480...(he had a 2GB 7850 before).

Anyone else in the 6700XT club?
Yes I got two, one for the kid, and I do not regret the purchase one bit. Does 1440 gaming with no problems..

I love my 6700xt for 1440p. The only problem game was God of War around the shore of 9. Kept getting into the 40-60s even with FSR set to Quality. But beyond that its been great.

I love my 6700xt for 1440p. The only problem game was God of War around the shore of 9. Kept getting into the 40-60s even with FSR set to Quality. But beyond that its been great.
AMD has a beta driver out, which improves DX11 performance.

It's buggy for me with video playback, though. So, Waiting for next full release driver.

*what I mean is it will flicker between output color levels for local and streaming video.

Last edited:
AMD has a beta driver out, which improves DX11 performance.

It's buggy for me with video playback, though. So, Waiting for next full release driver.

It's taken a long time for that driver to come out. That said, awesome (when it's finally stable)

Well guys, guess I'll be leaving the club. Was able to get a pretty good deal on a 6800xt at Microcenter.

6700xt however was a great 1440p card for me, and my liquid cooled one shall live on in my wife's PC.

I should update my signature but I have the ASUS TUF 6700 XT which isn't loud but with Radeon Chill capping the framerate it is very quiet. I don't have the optional drivers yet and better DX11 or SAM with an AMD processor.

Back