Anybody here build systems for charity? I have some stuff...

The Wayfarer

Weaksauce
Are there any people out there that build systems, or provide components for charity purposes? Whilst cleaning out my closet I discovered some old "stuff" that is really of no value to me or any other enthusiast, but could be used to make a perfectly functional email/internet/etc box for some disadvantaged person. Instead of throwing this stuff out, I'd much rather see these things, old though they may be, go to somebody who might be able to do some good with them...

Asus P2B mobo
P2-450 CPU with stock HS/F
64MB 'o PC100 memory
Trident AGP vid card
Soundblaster 512 PCI
USR 56k ISA modem
Assorted cables

Hardly bleeding-edge, but as I said above, were one to simply add a HDD, an old chassis & PSU, and a monitor....hey, some person who was without now has a machine capable word processing, web browsing, and so forth....

-Wayfarer

This is excellent. If nobody from the forums expresses interest, I'll definitely look these people up. Thanks for the tip, Shadowfax.

A little help keeping this thread visible would be appreciated; hey, it's for a good cause. :)

What I have done/doing is getting used computer equip for cheap / free and thru our church are fixing them and putting them into single moms homes for the children to do homework and a occasional game on. You can build a rather complete system for ~50.00.
gwarren007

i've got some older cdrom/cdrw drives and two older atx psu's if anyone needs them. Have them in my FS thread, though I'm not really planning on getting too many bites.

Where are you located? Some tech website (maybe [H] actually) once posted a bunch of links for organizations that accept tech donations. There's one in my area, St Louis, and I bet there's one in yours as well.

I'm located in the Seattle area, but...

Today a friend gave me an older, but perfectly serviceable 17" CRT monitor. Now I have half a mind to assemble a complete system and try to find a good home for it. Though, there's a few things still needed: chassis, PSU, HDD, an optical drive, and input devices. Another couple sticks 'o RAM would probably be a good idea, too.

Bump for another Seattle guy.

I'm sure theres an organization around here that could use it. If you want, I could complete the system for you with parts that I've got (tell me what you need and I can probably drop it off for you). I have a bunch of old PII and PIII systems that I could part out for you.

Maybe try Craigslist's Free section - I bet theres a deserving family or organization who could really use it.

Back