Any worthwhile difference? 9600XT vs. 6600

shkmiami

n00b
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
25
Hi, I am wondering if it is worth it to upgrade to a Chaintech 6600 256MB AGP (for $145 at zipzoomfly.com) from my ATI AIW 9600XT. I am planning to play FarCry, Doom III, and Riddick pretty soon and I really don't want to the pay $200 for the 6600 GT version. I don't want to play it at 1600X1200. Just 1024x780 is fine for me with AA and AN enabled at highest settings.
So I guess this is a two part question:

1) Is it worth $145 to go from a 9600XT to a 6600? I mean is there enough performance difference to warrant the $145 upgrade?

2) Is paying the price difference between the 6600 and a 6600GT version (which in this case is approx $55) worth paying for?

I would really appreciate your answers.
 
I'd recommend going with a 6600 GT. The performance increase between the 9600XT and the 6600 might not be worth it. Of course, if you're willing to upgrade again in six months to a year, then go with either.
 
I'd say it's comparable to an upgrade from the 96xt to a 9700 np. Meaning your better off finding a used 9700 for less then $100 on ebay. I wouldn't drop $150 on the 6600, as it's seriously handicapped compared to the 6600gt
 
bountyhunter said:
I'd say it's comparable to an upgrade from the 96xt to a 9700 np. Meaning your better off finding a used 9700 for less then $100 on ebay. I wouldn't drop $150 on the 6600, as it's seriously handicapped compared to the 6600gt

Wow, that's a big bitch slap against the 6600. I had naturally thought that the newest generation mid-range card would show a significant improvement over a last generation's mid-range card. Is the 6600 so gimped that is comparable to a last gen card?
 
no the 9700np is a pretty strong card and so is the 6600. i think the 6600 would be quite a bit better than the 9700, but the 6600gt which really uses newer technology, gddr3, is a huge jump from the 9600xt, which btw is not that bad
 
Honestly, the reason I don't want to spend the $200 for a 6600GT is because I missed out on that huge BestBuy sale two months ago for the vanilla 6800 for $200 AR which also included an OEM FarCry and a retail Half-Life 2. From what I read, some lucky bastards acutally got them for $180AR when using the Rewards Program card. Missing that sale really pisses me off and the only way I'll buy a 6600GT is if it is better than a 6800.
 
That seems a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face, as the old saying goes. Whatever works for you though :)
 
Personally I would suggest going for the 6600 GT, but if you insist on the 6600 here is one reason to reconsider:

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041222/index.html

Although the 6600 128 MB version was used not ther 256 MB version, I doubt ther would be much difference. On on game you want to play, Farcry, the difference in framerate is nearly 30 FPS, quite a difference. I would suggest upgrading nonetheless. The 6 series just use newer shadeing models, engines, etc, that the older generation of cards such as the 9600 XT lack. You should notice a difference either way, but please seriously consider the 6600 GT.
 
^ I didn't know that was the case....if so I'd say then go ahead and get it. You should be able to find it cheaper, though.......
 
Back
Top