Any way to pick work units?

Zxcs

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm tired of getting low-point WUs and I'd prefer the bigger ones. I have accepted the option to allow for large WUs to be accepted but I rarely get them. Is there any way to pick what WU you receive?

Nope, there isn't a preference you can set, although, if you'd like to live on the edge and increase the chances of getting new (but potentially buggy) proteins, you can enable the -advmethods switch.

It's hit and miss, I run -advmethods and -forceasm and I keep pulling down 364-600 pointers lately. Just make sure you don't have timeless tinkers running.

Hope that helps

Fold on fellas!

The only work-units that you can force your boxen to get are Timeless Tinkers........ :p

Which switches are you useing.
The three I use are......
1/ -forceasm :- Forces the client to turn on any optimizations used in the Gromac cores. Its usefull if the boxen was shut down incorectly due to a crash otherwise it will fold a half speed untill its restarted correctly.
2/ -advmethods :- Asks for the workunits that are just out of beta testing. You are slightly more likely to get the odd work unit that will end early and there is no garrenty that you will get big packets but it may help.
3/ -local :- Most of my systems are duallies so I use this as it keeps the config data out of the registry.

Luck........... :D

I used to run the -advmethods switch with my P4 at work and for some reason all I would ever get ouf ot if was smaller Gromacs. I got rid of the switch and started getting 600 pointers almost all the time. I think I got something like a 52 point Gromac after the 600 pointer I was working on died for no reason that I can find but got a 600 pointer right after that one finished.

Dont forget the "Get big workunits" option in the config (512 or more memory) :rolleyes:

Zxcs said:
What is the downside of using the -advmethods switch?

Because you are more likely to get the new protien that have just come off beta testing then you may suffer from a slightly higher rate of early ends.
As long as its only the very odd one then your ok.
If you start getting more then its back to the old Memtest86-Prime95 to test your boxen for stability.
So you may loose folding time while you double check your boxen is stable.

Stanford want to know what folds and what wont so you will still get some pointsfor an early end as they expect a small percentage to fail.

Luck............. :D

Tiger hit it on the head, but the upside can be huge. Right now the most promising WU is in -advmethods if you have P4's. Those QMD's run a sweet 450 points per, and on my 3.6 at work, take somewhere in the realm of 18-22 hours (just a guess) the PPD cannot be beat though, it helped increase my numbers from around 700ppd to almost 1100ppd.

p[H]ant0m said:
Tiger hit it on the head, but the upside can be huge. Right now the most promising WU is in -advmethods if you have P4's. Those QMD's run a sweet 450 points per, and on my 3.6 at work, take somewhere in the realm of 18-22 hours (just a guess) the PPD cannot be beat though, it helped increase my numbers from around 700ppd to almost 1100ppd.

Hmm, after I finish these two WUs I'll try it on my main rig and see how it goes.

Zxcs said:
Hmm, after I finish these two WUs I'll try it on my main rig and see how it goes.

It may take you a WU or two before you notice a difference.
You tend to get directed to the same server that you just uploaded a WU to when you download the next one if it has a lot of spare WU.
If its empty you either get stuck still trying to download from it or if your lucky get a new server.

Luck................ :D

Back