Any viable AMD solution for 7680x1440?

ratfusion

n00b
I bit on three of the HP Omen 32"s that were a great deal this weekend (thanks hot deals). These are replacing a 5040x1050 setup. I love multimonitor gaming and won't go back. I was considering 21:9 this time, but had concerns, and these were too good a deal to pass up.

I'm currently running a single GTX 970 that handles 5040x1050 easily for my tastes. I've always been happy to sacrifice AA and lots of post-processing options to run bigger resolutions with midrange hardware. I was running GTX 460 SLI before the 970, and it worked well enough. Rest of the system: i5 6660K, 32gb ram, SM951 SSD, evga plat 750 psu.

Now I'll have double the pixels, and I'll need more horsepower. I'd like to do that with AMD, to take advantage of freesync. Is there a viable solution in a normal price range?

I'm looking at RX 480 crossfire. I'm concerned because everything warns against crossfire, like this. I've read somewhere that freesync helps mitigate the feel of microstutter, is that the same as the frametime spikes? Additionally, all the games I currently play have crossfire support from what I've researched. Is it still a bad idea?

I'm unwilling to spend crazy money for a pro duo, and doubt I have the PSU for crossfire fury x's.

I realize I should probably sit on my hands and wait until vega releases, but there's nothing credible about what or when yet. If I have to wait I may have to suffer the nuclear option: non-native resolution.

I'd like to hear opinions. Please remember I'm willing to sacrifice some level of image quality to keep the price at a sane level. Thanks!

I don't have any experience with CF, but I'm using SLI on one machine and it works better than some people would lead you to believe.

RX 480 Crossfire seems like an economic option, while still allowing you to use Freesync.

Look at this review: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480_CrossFire/

It seems many games do not get much benefit (and some even get worse performance) with CF. But the games that do work, get a nice boost.

So you are in a bit of a tight spot, as Nvidia currently is on top of performance, particularly for those high resolutions. But I think you can still find something that works.

I've ran crossfire 390's for awhile and didnt really have much to bitch about. Some games worked better then others but even the crappier games were still playable. I would honestly go with crossfire 480 8gb cards

Vega should be Q1 and should handle that if all goes to plan. If you really want to do this, don't invest too much into it. RX480s maybe or a used 980ti (or pair) or 1070 and sell them prior to Vega.

I'm sure there are a few 390x used laying around too...

Crossfire has its issues, but moreso in certain games not being supported than anything. Otherwise, there's little reason not to go CF if you can afford it. Has been great in every way since 280X removed the need for a bridge, at least if you're playing games that support it (if not, boohoo, you play the lazy console port or shittily-programmed game with one card like you would have to anyway because the software doesn't support anything more, big whoopdedoo?).

Running Quadfire Radeon Pro Duos in my main rig and Quad 295X2 in another @4K60 BTW, if that means anything.

I would think for the cost of dual 480s that maybe a 1070 would be around the same ballpark. Dual furry cards might give you more raw hp but the 4gb limit might be troublesome.

Crossfire has its issues, but moreso in certain games not being supported than anything. Otherwise, there's little reason not to go CF if you can afford it. Has been great in every way since 280X removed the need for a bridge, at least if you're playing games that support it (if not, boohoo, you play the lazy console port or shittily-programmed game with one card like you would have to anyway because the software doesn't support anything more, big whoopdedoo?).

Running Quadfire Radeon Pro Duos in my main rig and Quad 295X2 in another @4K60 BTW, if that means anything.

I'm already picky in what games I play, I won't do anything that won't support multi monitor. I suspect the developers willing to put the time in to get multimon to work are mostly the same ones that are also willing to get xfire/SLI to work. So this may be less of an issue for me.

With your extreme crossfire setups do you notice any of the microstutter thats talked about in reviews?

Short answer: No unless you want to turn off a lot of settings. I definitely don't think RX480s are up to the task. Fury X is your best bet.

a RX 480 CF or a GTX 1080 8 GB really 4GB wont be enough unless you lower graphics quality, also if you could get an i7 CPU the performance would be the optimal

snicker go bug an amd rep that is working with the new radeon rebranding... not sure how much has published stuff on it yet... last night was interesting.

Back