Any using an LG Oled just as a pc monitor ?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by vincentsixtysix, Dec 22, 2017.

1. sharknice

sharknice [H]ard|Gawd

I watched it last week on my B7A 65 inch and it was amazing.

Other HDR movies are also amazing. There was one movie where they were shining a flashlight through a window and the extreme contrast actually made me cover my eyes with my hand when the flashlight angled towards me.

2. bigbluefe

bigbluefe Limp Gawd

I tried it, but I just can't go back to 60hz.

Here's a video of me dicking around with my remake of Final Fight on a B6 55".

3. Nicolas Pal

Nicolas Pal n00bie

Exellent reply.at what brightness/back light you use it?

4. Nicolas Pal

Nicolas Pal n00bie

Thank you
    I had never played a game 8 hours straight in my life 1 or maybe 2 hours(unlikely) its the most,but i do use tje browser alot beacuse of my work(so that my main concern ) i was thinking maybe i should plug in a second cheap led to do my work in it?if so i own i a gigabyte 1080 can you set it one screen at 4k and the other at 1080 res?

5. Sancus

Sancus Gawd

Yeah you can do that no problem.

Lateralus and Nicolas Pal like this.
  6. Nicolas Pal

Nicolas Pal n00bie

Do you own a LG B7? If so for how long

7. exlink

exlink 2[H]4U

I have owned a LG 55" C6 and LG 65" B6 (2016 models) for over a year now. Both have had hundreds of hours of gaming with static HUD elements on them. I have ZERO burn in and the picture quality is just unmatched. Of course YMMV if you decide to display static images on the screen for excessive lengths of time at once.

Nicolas Pal likes this.
  8. Sancus

Sancus Gawd

No I don't. I game on a 144hz monitor and I'm waiting for 120hz support for OLED before I buy one, because I don't really play console games and I can't go back to 60hz. Hoping for 2019. The 2018 panels already support 4K 120hz(for HFR streaming/broadcast video) but HDMI 2.1 isn't ready :(

Nicolas Pal likes this.
  9. Nicolas Pal

Nicolas Pal n00bie

that its so cool!

how long its excessive lengths of time? 2 hours ?

10. exlink

exlink 2[H]4U

I once had a full screen static image on my B6 OLED for about 6 hours because we had an emergency and I inadvertently left a movie paused on the screen. It had developed some light image retention, but after running the built in "Clear Panel Noise" mode it all cleared up.

Of course this is based on my experience, and you may experience something else. There are a lot of variables that can influence the chance of screen burn in such as TV settings and content being displayed. Once in a while I'll have a gaming session where I play 6-8 hours in one sitting and don't have any issues.

Nicolas Pal likes this.
  11. Nicolas Pal

Nicolas Pal n00bie

thank you for your Reply

12. Nicolas Pal

Nicolas Pal n00bie

This last question on the Rtings forum freaked me out

Guys??

Any solution to the yellow tint that OLEDs suffer, I’m on my 3rd replacement now and it has a yellow tint in the middle and the right side, and it goes away if you look at the TV from the sides.

There's unfortunately no solution for the non-uniform tint issue; all OLEDs have it, though it varies from unit to unit so some have it worse than others. This non-uniform tint isn't usually as bothersome as the dirty-screen-effect of some LCD TVs, which is why most OLEDs score very well on our grey uniformity tests.
    Jan 16, 2018

13. Brian_B

Brian_B Gawd

I just got my C7 and finished setup last week. I can't speak to longevity or if this issue develops over time. I can say, the first day I had it plugged in, still default (crazy) brightness and settings, HDMI CEC was enabled and my stupid PS4 restarted while we were out in town - came home to the PS4 home screen after who knows how many hours... no issue with image retention on that at all.

As far as color uniformity. After getting it all set up and using it for a few days now, I haven't noticed anything. I'm coming from an older Samsung side-lit LED, and the color uniformity on that was awful - lots of backlight bleed in the corners, pretty poor angle viewing. At least my OLED panel, right now, is crisp and consistent across the entire screen, and consistent from all viewable angles.

Maybe I just won the panel lotto on first draw, idk.

The color consistency combined with the black level - it makes all other screens look washed out on darker scenes now (I will admit in the store, the newer QLEDs are competitive on brighter content to my eye). It's hard for me to go back to my other LED screens now. I haven't hooked my PC up to it (even the 55" is way to big to fit at my PC desk, and I'm too lazy to move the PC into the living room/wife would kill me), so YMMV on PC as a source as the OP indicates. Just mostly speaking to my experience with any color inconsistencies.

Nicolas Pal likes this.
  14. exlink

exlink 2[H]4U

No, I haven't experienced any uniformity or tint issues with either of my two sets. However, I do know that some B6 users complained of receiving sets with banding in the past. But then again I always read/hear about some people complaining about banding with many TV sets - its not exclusive to OLED sets.

Nicolas Pal likes this.
  15. Nicolas Pal

Nicolas Pal n00bie

Wich sets do you own?how about I R?

16. Nicolas Pal

Nicolas Pal n00bie

17. exlink

exlink 2[H]4U

Don't know what to tell you. I haven't experienced any burn in from games after numerous 4-6+ hour gaming sessions despite this guy in the video saying I would. Hell, I haven't even noticed any image retention after my gaming sessions either.

Nicolas Pal and Lateralus like this.
  18. Nicolas Pal

Nicolas Pal n00bie

on LG b7 right?

19. exlink

exlink 2[H]4U

I have a B6 and C6 which were the previous generation 2016 models.

Like I said in prior posts, I can't guarantee you won't get burn-in since there are so many variables that can affect your chance of getting it. But in my personal experience and at my professionally calibrated settings; I have not had ANY burn in whatsoever after hundreds of hours on each set - including numerous 4-6+ hour gaming sessions.

BearOso likes this.
  20. BearOso

BearOso [H]Lite

There's temporary image retention, caused by a charge build-up in the pixel cells of the backplane, and permanent image retention, caused by degradation of the emitting elements. "Clear Panel Noise" and its brethren are designed to get rid of the first type.

LCDs are also susceptible to the first type, and it can become permanent if not allowed to dissipate. Though whether or not it occurs in the first place is a lottery due to poor quality control on electrical specs.

21. Lateralus

Lateralus More [H]uman than Human

I have a B7 and my experience is the same as this, FWIW.

Nicolas Pal likes this.