Any sports fans successfully given up cable?

Doesn't comcast charge extra for internet if you do not receive their cable service so in effect you pay for the "basic" service either way.

wonder how many of you that drop cable.. would it take for the cable companies/internet providers to realize this and just jack up the rates on internet service alone..

or go the way of what the cell phone companes are doing with tiered data plans..

Comcast residential is already cap'ed at 250 gb.. monthly..
If your source of tv.. is purely by way of streaming.. I'm sure 250 gb would take no time at all to consume..

Well it doesn't look like i will be switching anytime soon.

I don't know about the cap. I stream a lot of TV and play a lot of online games, and have never had a problem. We also stream movies from netflix. On top of that, it isn't unheard of for the fiancee to stream a chick flick on the HTPC at the same time I'm playing TF2.

if i don't already have it i always end up resubbing in the middle of the basketball season. FSN, TNT, ESPN are the only real networks I can catch games on except two abc affiliates.

Internet TV would be nice but definently not happening in Canada ever. Rogers gives you 40gb a month now, just at the same time Netflix.ca starts. Hrm... bastards.:mad:

I'm in a slightly different situation, as I never had cable to begin with, but I just got a new 40" Samsung LCD (woot!) and instead of getting cable, I got this antenna from Radio Shack, which includes bolts for the "don't fall out" window guards. I put it outside and in Brooklyn, on the first floor apartment, I get 40 channels, many in HD.

All I'm missing is ESPN, but football any other time is free, and I don't see myself getting cable.

for those of us who follow teams on the regional cable sports affiliate, an antenna doesn't even begin to cover our needs.

I would miss approx 150 st louis cardinals games next season if i gave up paid tv

I have successfully given up cable now. I have been using Ota hd and espn 3. Also when I need to catch a specific football game I head over to myp2p.eu and watch the game there. Quality is pretty good.

Espn3 on the 360 is very impressive and time warner just signed a new deal with espn to bring espn3 to time Warner Internet subscribers.

for those of us who follow teams on the regional cable sports affiliate, an antenna doesn't even begin to cover our needs.

I would miss approx 150 st louis cardinals games next season if i gave up paid tv
You could get MLB.tv for those games. I watched the Mets games on there when I was at school and the quality is pretty good. You even get to choose the coverage (home or away affiliates) so you always get to hear the announcers you want. Its a little pricey, but if you're giving up cable completely then its not so bad

I don't exactly have cable (in this case, I've got FIOS TV) but I still enjoy it despite prices. I like the channel list for each sport that the OP posted. I agree, NFL has a lot of coverage. It's a waaaay better leap than before when I had a dinky list of channels with DirecTV. The second FIOS rolled into town, I hopped aboard. I know there's league pass this and that nowadays but I still prefer to watch in on my TV (although when ESPN3 broadcasted a few games, I did go out of my way to connect my comp to my TV).

I have friends who use slingboxes left at friends houses to watch out of market blacked out games. That's an option, although a very inconvenient one.

Back