• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Any single platter 1TB drives available?

Thanks for the heads up!

Now gotta see how well this drive actually performs against the Samsung F3 1TB.
 
Thanks for the heads up!

Now gotta see how well this drive actually performs against the Samsung F3 1TB.
Expect the 7K1000.D 1TB to be about 30% faster on sequential transfer rate, and 30-40% slower on avg access time. It sounds to me like a solution looking for a problem (like a brassiere for bulls). Well, maybe, for raw video capture [for someone averse to RAID0].

Some discussion here.

--UhClem
 
Thanks for the heads up!

Now gotta see how well this drive actually performs against the Samsung F3 1TB.
I have 8 on the way
now I need a RAID0 controller card that can do at least 1GB/s
 
Expect the 7K1000.D 1TB to be about 30% faster on sequential transfer rate, and 30-40% slower on avg access time. It sounds to me like a solution looking for a problem (like a brassiere for bulls). Well, maybe, for raw video capture [for someone averse to RAID0].

Some discussion here.

--UhClem

Why would the Hitachi have a 30-40% slower access time than the Samsung? Rotational speed is the same for both isn't it? Aside from the Caviar Blacks all 7200 RPM drives I've tested have been within a few percent of eachother in access time.
 
Why would the Hitachi have a 30-40% slower access time than the Samsung? Rotational speed is the same for both isn't it? Aside from the Caviar Blacks all 7200 RPM drives I've tested have been within a few percent of eachother in access time.
I think we've got a terminology divergence here.

The term "access time" is a relatively new addition, as a simplification. Traditionally, we spoke of the two components of access time, separately--"seek time" and "(avergage) rotational latency". Seek being the time required to position the head assembly over the target cylinder (and get the correct head activated). Latency being the time we need to wait (on average) for the target sector to reach the waiting head. That latency is a direct calculation from the rotational speed (optimization techniques aside). The seek time, however, is what makes the difference (at a given RPM).

Among consumer desktop drives, the WD Black is the shining star (raptors aside). Its access time (seek+latency) is about 12ms. The aforementioned F3 1TB is about 14ms. This new Hitachi 1TB (one-platter) is apparently around 19ms. [Since they are all 7200rpm, 4.17ms is each's avg latency; seek itself being the remainder.]

TANSTAAFL.

--UhClem
 
I think we've got a terminology divergence here.

The term "access time" is a relatively new addition, as a simplification. Traditionally, we spoke of the two components of access time, separately--"seek time" and "(avergage) rotational latency". Seek being the time required to position the head assembly over the target cylinder (and get the correct head activated). Latency being the time we need to wait (on average) for the target sector to reach the waiting head. That latency is a direct calculation from the rotational speed (optimization techniques aside). The seek time, however, is what makes the difference (at a given RPM).

Among consumer desktop drives, the WD Black is the shining star (raptors aside). Its access time (seek+latency) is about 12ms. The aforementioned F3 1TB is about 14ms. This new Hitachi 1TB (one-platter) is apparently around 19ms. [Since they are all 7200rpm, 4.17ms is each's avg latency; seek itself being the remainder.]

TANSTAAFL.

--UhClem

Yep, I was getting 14.x ms on my F3.
My RMA'd fresh 150gb VRaptor 7.x ms

Short stroke the F3 and you can get it down the the 7range but barely.
Short stroke the VRaptor and I was in 5.x range.

The VRaptor are noticeable faster accessing data, and loading software... think of them as the SSD of years past or if you need lots and lots of data to access often.

I`m hoping the 450gb rapators go on sale again so I can snag a couple more :D :D
 
...
Short stroke the F3 and you can get it down the the 7range but barely.
Feh! To do so, your "stroke" is barely a vibration. To get an F3 (1TB) below 8ms access time, you need to limit the test range to the outer 19GB. That's <2% of total capacity.

There's a future for you in advertising:).

But, maybe not a prosperous future ... you can get it below 6.5ms ... if you limit to 800MB.

"But wait, ... there's more ..." (for the next 8.33ms you can double your order:))
Limiting to the "outer 1KB" gets it down to .04ms [# samples (seeks)=1000]! Drive's cache gets a bonus check this month.

--Uh Clem
 
Last edited:
My last gen 1TB Hitachi just gave me a 13.7ms access time and 114.4MB a second average STR across the whole drive. Why would the new one be 5ms slower?
 
Feh! To do so, your "stroke" is barely a vibration. To get an F3 (1TB) below 8ms access time, you need to limit the test range to the outer 19GB. That's <2% of total capacity.

There's a future for you in advertising:).

But, maybe not a prosperous future ... you can get it below 6.5ms ... if you limit to 800MB.

"But wait, ... there's more ..." (for the next 8.33ms you can double your order:))
Limiting to the "outer 1KB" gets it down to .04ms [# samples (seeks)=1000]! Drive's cache gets a bonus check this month.

--Uh Clem

Uhm, I said "barely". Meaning literally that, it could barely get near Raptor speed.
Not that it's an economical way to acquire the storage space and speed. :p
 
I have 8 on the way
now I need a RAID0 controller card that can do at least 1GB/s

In the mean time, please post HDTune and Crytsal Mark screenshots of a single drive if you can!
 
In the mean time, please post HDTune and Crytsal Mark screenshots of a single drive if you can!
Though preferable to get a test result from one of our own, here are links to three different HDTune results that google found:
1. http://bbs.kakaku.com/bbs/K0000284988/SortID=13537242/ImageID=1011138/

2. http://www.hkepc.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=1685376

3. http://club.coneco.net/user/16344/review/76586/

They all look sane (except maybe the CPU usage & Burst Rate on the 2nd).

--UhClem
 
You're right: I would prefer test results from one of our own. But those test results you found are a good fill-in until then.
 
My last gen 1TB Hitachi just gave me a 13.7ms access time and 114.4MB a second average STR across the whole drive. Why would the new one be 5ms slower?

I'd imagine it has something to do with the increased density making it harder/take longer to seek the head to the right location, but I'm not a hard drive expert.

Edit: Or maybe aggressive acoustic management.
 
Bumping this thread to find out if anyone has any news on confirmed or potential release dates for other 1TB/platter drives.
 
I was also hoping for cheaper drives but with the incident in Thailand I don't think that will be happening any time soon. I'm glad I picked up a 2tb drive before the price jump.
 
I should clarify: 7200RPM 1TB/platter besides the Hitachi already out.
 
I read somewhere that 1 platter drives could have stability problems, rendering them slower than a drive with two or three of the same platter.
 
I read somewhere that 1 platter drives could have stability problems, rendering them slower than a drive with two or three of the same platter.
any more info on this?
I've never heard of such a thing
 
Back
Top