Any regrets on 3950x instead of Threadripper 3000 series?

Regretting not going with Threadripper?

• Total voters

erek

[H]F Junkie
Anyone regret getting their Ryzen 3rd gen instead of going with a Threadripper system like tangoseal got now?

Anyone else jealous of tangoseal ?

It’s surprising that a $750 processor isn’t HEDT anymore

I would be a little bit because the ST performance on TR3 is so damn impressive. It's basically a no compromise HEDT which is a first...
Didn't expect that at all.

Reactions: erek
like this
Really the 3950x is such a nice processor I was really bent when I was at the store on whether I should get the 3960 vs 3950. I just do so much video work that I knew the extra 8 cores would help. I also was taking a gamble that the 140mb of l3 cache would pay off and it sure as hell does.

Is the cost justifiable for me? Im in the middle on that one, but does the cost justify the platform's capabilities - absolutely!

To be honest I couldn't afford the 32 core nor do I need that much CPU. Right now I think I have the perfect balance between cores, price, capability, and gaming power. I couldn't ask for more, well maybe for Intel to step up their game. I wished they had a compelling and directly competing product with AVX512. But the 10980xe was just too little too late for me and probably many of you out there too.

erek I also understand that you have been having some mad ram problems, so that don't let that bum you out. Once you get that worked out your going to love that 3950x. That thing is a fast chip. Its quite a bit faster than Threadripper 2950x was.

Last edited:
It was just too much $ for the performance. I'd probably have gotten one if it didn't also require a new board, but it's over a thousand dollars more for 8 extra cores considering board prices. I'll have to slum it with a 3950x and my 1st gen tr.

I will say, I don't blame people for going for it, it's no compromise with gaming performance to match unlike past hedt offerings (even from Intel).

Last edited:
Mining Monero with with new RandomX algorithm change, pretty profitable with the 5900x. Getting over 13000h/s or 13kh/s using around 135w. 1700x is 4.4kh/s and will be doing the 2700 in the near future (when I figure out the Linux method). Getting a 3960x or 3970x is on my books but will wait awhile, the Gigabyte TRX40 Master looks awesome! Anyways as more and more start to mine Monero with their cpu the profitability will drop and eventually equalize. No GPU is needed and RandomX on GPU is much slower .I will see if buying earlier will be better, probably the 3970x unless the 3980x or 90x comes out soon. It is an Anti-ASSIC algorithm best run on a CPU.

Not regretting going Threadripper since multiple systems is the way to go.

Last edited:
I was originally going for a 3900x because it was the fastest thing out there. But settled on a 3600 because I didn't need or even remotely use the extra processing power. As it is, one week after building my computer I was replaying Postal 2, and that is soooo CPU/GPU intensive

like this
Nah because even the 3950X is overkill for me, I do some serious work stuff with my PC but it's not super CPU compute bound. Just had to have it.

like this
Tangoseal... you in the west ga area by chance? im in villa rica

After watching Paul's Hardware review and keep in mind BF prices with free games .. I feel the 3700x purchase in Sep was the right chose at MSRP for my lighter needs ,

I'm kind of in the same boat as crazycrave. I initially bought a 3600, but then got a deal on a 3900x. then, I figured that I could actually use the $300 difference for something else as I was basically just web browsing and playing a few games here and there right now, so I went to a 3600x (current). BF deal on a 3800x is what I'll end up with until I see what Zen 3 brings.

I don't regret not trying harder for a 3950x as it would sit idle most of the time. While I like the idea of an HEDT platform and have had several (X58, X79, X99, X299), the reality is, once they started getting beyond 6-8 cores (when mainstream was 4), I started realizing that I don't really need HEDT for what I do and I can save some money.

I almost went to HEDT when I started homelabbing -- it made quite a bit of sense right up until I realized that I didn't want 'lab' stuff dependent on my desktop, as I'll regularly do things on a laptop over WiFi at home or over a VPN; and further, if I wanted to run any services, those would be best done a separate system with an appropriate operating system.

Even photography doesn't really benefit outside of the largest batches.

The biggest challenge I ran in to was attempting to get 10Gbit networking going without compromising the main PCIe slot; this is where I almost moved to HEDT, but in retrospect, I'm glad I didn't. I've been able to find boards with 10Gbase-T built in. If I were to dabble in faster speeds though, or start doing a lot of video editing long 4k+ cuts, I'd likely re-evaluate.

Just bought a 3900x, couldn't be happier.

I can afford Threadripper, but I have no need for it, I don't do heavy tasking and I will never fully use the CPU to it's full potential anyway.

I hear that. I just side converted 25 1080p movies from h265 to h265 last night when I was sleeping. All.of the movies were done before I woke up. Never have I had a machine that could do that.

But that 3900x I had was a speed demon for sure. It was very fast at video encoding just more core limited than TR obviously.

IdiotInCharge

I hear ya on lanes. I run a ten GB intel multimode fiber from my desktop to Cisco 4948 10ge and another one from my nas to it.

On x570 I had to compromise and my GPU was 16x while my nic was at 4x and it was an 8x card.

On trx40 of course GPU is 16x and nic is 8x.

I dont have a switch with provisions for ethernet 10g

Back