Any reason to avoid the Nexus 5?

Cali3350

Supreme [H]ardness
The Nexus 5 doesn't appear to be sold anywhere anymore, but Im assuming its still a good hardware, properly supported phone, correct?

My brother needs a new phone (he has a first generation Moto G and its having performance degradation issues, plus he would really like a better camera) and I am stuck between the new Moto G, importing a Canadian Moto X Play, or grabbing a new Nexus 5 from eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-L...-Smartphone-/251790035271?hash=item3a9fdb0947).

Rather than blankly asking for suggestions, I was wondering if anyone has a good reason to avoid the Nexus 5 at this point? Seems like the best performer of all the options Ive listed above. Not a huge fan of getting the device through Ebay, but its hardly a deal breaker for me either.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Battery life is going to be an issue at this stage in its lifecycle and replacing the battery isn't exactly hard but you are prying the phone open and breaking adhesive to do it.

Plus there might be a refreshed N5 in about two months... The N6 went upscale/upmarket but rumor is they're doing two Nexii this year, and the smaller one will be by LG again...

No clue if it'll be as relatively cheap as the old one or they'll try to sell it thru carriers again.

I'm still hanging unto my N5 because I haven't seen anything that's made me wanna upgrade, Sony Z3c was the only one that even came remotely close. Hate phablets and large phones...

Heyyo,

The Nexus 5? It was a REALLY damn good device and it still is. As ND40oz said? The battery life wasn't that great even when it first came out. It can be updated to Lolipop 5.1.1 which fixed all the problems people had with 5.0.2 which is good as it was a terrible version of Lolipop for battery life and memory leaks.

Supposedly Android Marshmellow is supposed to yet again improve the battery life on the Nexus 5 which is cool (well, at least in standby/doze mode).

The camera is good... but it's not great. That's maybe the only other small ding against it. It still spanks the HTC One M7 and M8's Ultrapixel camera though, so for the price range? It's definitely got that going for it.

To be honest though? In the same price range? Try and see what a Xperia Z1, Z2 or Z3 goes for. They are quite the superior device (at least in my opinion) and offer a few pros above the Nexus 5 like the stereo front facing speakers, better battery profiles and of course dust and water resistant. The camera on the Xperia lineup is good, but not great much like the Nexus 5's camera.

New Nexus 5 is rumored to be debuting at a low price point so I'd wait for that. But the old nexus 5 is still a great phone. Personally battery life and a fairly dull screen are the only complaints I had with mine.

The nexus 5 held up really well over the years. I'm still impressed with how well it performs and it's been supported for the last few releases of android. Since Google supported the nexus 4 when lollipop came out, I would think they would do the same with the 5.

With that said I wouldn't buy the one you linked from eBay. I don't trust anything from China on eBay.

Battery life wasn't bad when it came out, it basically beat or matched most of the flagship phones from the summer before it launched (the Nexii always come out towards the end of year)... So it was equal or better than the SGS4, or even an OG Moto X.

The one outlier was the LG G2 it was based on, which was slightly larger and had a much higher capacity battery. Problem is the following summer ALL flagships went from 5.0-5.2" to 5.5"+, so they all ended up with larger batteries still.

That's when the N5 really started looking worse off by comparison, six months later, but it was mostly losing out to larger phones. Stuff like the small Z3c have since shown it up further.

Wireless charging has helped me some, with a few pads spread around I charge a lot more often and opportunistically (not just when I'm low). Seems dumb but it really can change your habits.

The Nexus V does have a LCD as its screen. I own a n5 and the horrible screen quality is the most annoying thing about it. I am thinking of upgrading to a phone with an OLED . I am a bit spoiled as my monitors and TVs are all CRTs or other proper displays, though.

I would definitely take the new Moto G over the nearly 2 year old Nexus 5. Performance should be about the same (outside of benchmarks, I'm talking general UI), battery life and camera on the new G will murder the Nexus as well. Most reviews are saying the G gets at least 5 hours Screen On time, or about 2 days of light to moderate usage. The N5 is lucky to get a day. Both should see updates for the next year at least, the G might edge of out a bit though. The G also has e expandable storage, if he needs that.

Pretty much the same for the X Play, if he wants to spend more on it.

Last edited:
i have one.

here are some problems i have.

rear camera takes blurry photos changed the camera sensor same thing.
sound went out have to use a shim to push down rear connector for the speaker module.
because of shim vibration no longer works.

I don't know if it was mentioned but the new Moto g has the same camera sensor as the nexus 6. Huge improvement over the past few generations.

Thanks for the opinions guys. It sounds like id forget the Nexus 5 for the time being.

Im currently torn between a new Moto G 3rd Gen or a certified pre-owned Xperia Z1s (cost is about the same).

exactly, they make high quality phones.

Ehh that is a matter of opinion and model the nexus should be fine the low baller prepaid phones no I know someone who has had 3 of them all suddenly stop booting on her.

Thanks for the opinions guys. It sounds like id forget the Nexus 5 for the time being.

Im currently torn between a new Moto G 3rd Gen or a certified pre-owned Xperia Z1s (cost is about the same).

Would definitely still get the 3rd gen G. It's going to be better than any 2013 phone (flagships included) in pretty much every category. Esp. the 2GB RAM version of the G.

exactly, they make high quality phones.

Then stick their sub-par "customized" version of android on there and let it languish for half past forever. (seriously, SLOW as heck updates from LG compounded by the carriers' slow pushes)

Still a great phone. I wouldn't hesitate picking one up used. The battery is cake to replace as well.

I would definitely take the new Moto G over the nearly 2 year old Nexus 5. Performance should be about the same (outside of benchmarks, I'm talking general UI), battery life and camera on the new G will murder the Nexus as well. Most reviews are saying the G gets at least 5 hours Screen On time, or about 2 days of light to moderate usage. The N5 is lucky to get a day. Both should see updates for the next year at least, the G might edge of out a bit though. The G also has e expandable storage, if he needs that.

Pretty much the same for the X Play, if he wants to spend more on it.

I picked up a new 3rd gen moto g when my nexus 5 died a few weeks ago. After a few day of use I went out and got another nexus 5.

While I did appreciate a few of the new things on the moto g. The nexus 5 still has a better screen (resolution) and then the fact that the moto g does not have a gyroscope sensor is a big thing for me as I use the photosphere function of the camera more than most. I was also not happy with the screen sensitively right out of the box.

The moto G will be a great phone for the wife but for me I am going to stick with the nexus series phones as I had a galaxy nexus before this one.

Back