Any opinions on the WD Sentinel or other standalone NAS boxes?

InorganicMatter

[H]F Junkie
So I'm moving out on my own soon, and my dad wants to replace his file server (which I currently maintain) with something simpler for him to use. Functionality he is looking for is the file server, and DLNA streaming.

He found this and it looks impressive to me:
http://www.neweggbusiness.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236011

Does pretty much everything he wants, reviews say it has pretty good performance and an easy web UI, and it can be made to backup to a USB hard disk. I think it's kind of expensive, but he doesn't care.

A search in this forum returned no results. Anyone have opinions on it or alternatives?

Looks expensive. Thought about a HP microserver? Do you want RAID functionality? I'd also say "Easy Web UI" .... I guess I think its better really to understand whats under the hood than just closing it and trusting the car.

Last edited:
I have the 8TB version of the WD NAS at my work. It is a bit slow because it is software Raid-5. It uses Windows Storage Server (business version of Windows Home Server). It also uses enterprise class drives which is nice. Downside is you have no choice but to either use the web based management or log in via RDP (no way to hook up a monitor).

I would recommend going the HP microserver route with your choice of OS. I have one at home running WHS v2 with 8GB non-ecc ram, 4x2TB drives and the 250GB it comes with in the space for the optical drive. Your not going to be able to transcode 1080P movies on it but it does great for streaming.

I hear these cheap ready-built NAS boxes are often very slow

Back