Any of you guys converting?

Donnie27 said:
Yeah, LOL! Now if my bud's Yonah at only 2.4GHz didn't do the nasty to my BUd's $367 Opty [email protected], I wouldn't be looking at Conroe ;)

Then add to this, I like games but not enough to spend that much on a Video Card.
Conroe + New Motherboard + New Ram = I'm sure will cost more than 7900 GTX Video Card You'll be spending money anyway, I just think my OC Opty 165 will better serve me with a better video card than upgrading to a conroe...

Currently in the process of rma'ing a defective fx62. I'll most likely be selling that towards an X6800. :eek:

texuspete00 said:
If money is no object? Lol... life is short live fast. Depends what kind of dough you make I guess, but you don't have to be rich nor anything close. An E6600 will be a tad over $300 and handily maul everything. You can spend less on a lower stepping too. OC is the great equalizer. Architecture wins.

If that's all it was, I'd agree, but add in a new MB (at least $150 at launch...probably more), 2 GB of ram (no less than 150, but I'll bet you spend more).....you're in for minimum of $600.00. Now if you NEED that performance, then that makes sense. If you have to be on the bleeding edge, then that makes sense, but I'm content to sit this round out and just upgrade my chip. I feel no need to change platforms every year. In fact, the only reason I might upgrade chips is because the prices will likely fall dramatically.

texuspete00 said:
If you love hardware and make decent money, let me teach you about this secret called ebay! Selling my 170 and mobo will hardly be anything for the kind of boost I get. When you consider we sit here and post about hardware all day and have for years.

I love to talk about it and read about it, but I don't feel the need to own the bleeding edge. I consider it a poor investment of my money. I'm all about price performance, and as nice as those Conroe chips are, after you factor in all the other hardware, it's not worth upgrading. If I start encoding a bunch of video, I might change my mind, for gaming, I'd be wiser to spend the money on a newer video card (not that I feel the need to replace my X800XL either).

texuspete00 said:
I don't get the *sad* sentiments about switching. Or seems to be the only other argument is money. It should at least be as understandable about money. Keep it in perspective. The cpu business is not the gpu one. It is boringly slow. What has happenned since the intro of A64, other than dual core? Enough to make you pass the hell out thinking about it,

I remember when people were jumping to intel when the 2.4c chips came out a few years back....how long was that platform the reigning king? About a year as I recall. That's not what I call a crawl. Yes the 64's have been the king for a while now, but I'm willing to wait and see. My guess I'll easilly skip over Conroe and the K8L.

I remember when people were jumping to intel when the 2.4c chips came out a few years back....how long was that platform the reigning king? About a year as I recall. That's not what I call a crawl. Yes the 64's have been the king for a while now, but I'm willing to wait and see. My guess I'll easilly skip over Conroe and the K8L.

I too am skipping this generation... I might even skip the G80's too... lol

Back