Any of you guys converting?

Well I think most of us started with Intel because that's what most OEM comps used to use... My first actual Build was with an AMD and I loved it.. I will go back to Intel if the performance to price ratio is better.

imo AMD can give a rats ass about the enthusiats (same goes for intel too)... the big money is in OEM and servers... so AMD could care less if most of the enthusiats switch sides. they do care however, if big corps start buying xeons servers again

Asian Dub Foundation said:
imo AMD can give a rats ass about the enthusiats (same goes for intel too)... the big money is in OEM and servers... so AMD could care less if most of the enthusiats switch sides. they do care however, if big corps start buying xeons servers again

Enthusiast are needed, how many times have the OEM CEO or Server Park administrator and their workers listened to their kids who has been begging for the latest and greatest.

"Daddy, this is the best...me want..."

On-topic:
Although the Conroe seems pretty fast it's not fast enough to make me switch to it, my current system will last for a good time, i wont be looking at upgrades untill Vista has been out at least a couple of months, meaning sometime next year, to see what is the best at that time.

Asian Dub Foundation said:

This is absolutely correct, AMD isnt worried about losing phanboye's its more interested in losing buisness workstation/server massive purchases.

I'm going to be building a new rig this fall probably. Its probably going to be intel, unless AMD comes up with something to counter conroe by then.

I'm holding out for a while. Even though my hardware isn't cutting edge (s754 Athlon 64 3000+, 2 GB PC3200 memory, eVGA GeForce 6800 NU), it's still good enough to handle anything I'm currently throwing at it.

When the day comes that my hardware becomes too pathetic to run the applications (and games) that I want, then I'll upgrade. At that point, I'll take a look to see who has the best bang / buck, and go with them. Intel or AMD, it doesn't matter. If AMD cannot come up with something that can give an equivalent performance to price ratio as Intel's Conroe does, then I'll go with Intel. If they can come up with a superior option, then I'll stick with AMD.

It's the same thing that I did with the ATi vs. NVIDIA situation. Whoever gives me the best bang / buck gets my business. There's a darn good reason why I stuck with a GeForce4 Ti 4200 card for a long time, and also an ATi Radeon 9800 Pro. I really didn't care who had the top performance crown at the time; rather, who gave me the best bang / buck.

wee96 said:
This is absolutely correct, AMD isnt worried about losing phanboye's its more interested in losing buisness workstation/server massive purchases.

Then you must dont get away from Fans sites often? Tech Report, 2CPU, Anand and even ZDnet is talking about Servers aren't that clear of a win For AMD as it was BC (Before Conroe).

http://techreport.com/etc/2006q2/woodcrest/index.x?pg=1

So even the AMD 4 X 4 that NO motherboard makers ever heard of for AMD, has an Intel Reference board out now. Or did you read the link past the first page?

Please note?
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=265&type=expert&pid=2

Dual Core Dual Processors LOL! With SLI for Dual Dual GPUs AKA 4 X 4. For Folks with a LOT more money than brains. Now, will Intel kill this off remains to be seen.

..now I think I know what the "c" stood for with my old 2.4c P4 chip that did 3.6ghz at default voltage (in a vapochill ) ..it was a hint of things to come

:)

If I am able to refinance my house , I'll probably snag a Conroe setup and either sell my off my Opteron 170 and A8N32 w/2gb of ram or give it to my brother

I also go where the best price/performance ratio can be had and considering I build and upgrade computers for about 15 of my friends that game, we will be going to Conroe if all of the articles I read so far are right when it launches (unless AMD does some major price undercutting).

I'm going to find the next few months really interesting... people who bailed from intel to amd to bash intel the past few years... and now they are gong to bash amd :rolleyes:

This is why I don't bash neither, the tables turn quickly.. it's the nature of the market.

Ockie said:
I'm going to find the next few months really interesting... people who bailed from intel to amd to bash intel the past few years... and now they are gong to bash amd :rolleyes:

This is why I don't bash neither, the tables turn quickly.. it's the nature of the market.
Hyphocrisy rules that all I can say. :D

I won't be converting. I have a [email protected]. It will run whatever comes out for the next two years. I just bought a 3200 AM2/Asus mobo/7600GT package for my kids. They'll do fine with that for another 2 years as well. I'll upgrade to whoever has the best performance/watt at that time. :D

freeloader1969 said:
I won't be converting. I have a [email protected]. It will run whatever comes out for the next two years. I just bought a 3200 AM2/Asus mobo/7600GT package for my kids. They'll do fine with that for another 2 years as well. I'll upgrade to whoever has the best performance/watt at that time. :D

Sure, but folks got flamed for just doing fine with P4s in the past.

I plan on getting an E6600 for my main system, replacing an X2 3800+. The E6600 will likely remain as my main processor until the K8Ls eventually come out, while the X2 3800+ will become a frequently-used back-up system.

Upgrade HAH! I plan on running this system I have now until it doesn't support some of the latest games I actually want to play and my video/audio software starts to lag too much. Then I will see what all of the good people here think about the current standing with CPUs and check the benchmarks. I see no point in sticking with a single company. It just really limits your options.

If Intel happens to be at the top of the pack then to Intel I shall go. I doubt that is going to happen for a while though. When it does happen I will probably just build a whole new box and turn this current comp into a some type of server.

I'm really happy with the performance of my rig right now, I don't think I'll have a major upgrade until the K8L and DX10 come out to see what's the best then.

As impressive as that other company cpu looks...I can't see myself jumping ship just yet. I have never purchase an intel cpu (For ALOT of Reasons), and my Opty 165 @ 2.65 is providing me with a lot of love. I would buy a 7950 GTX video card to replace my sli 6800 GS before jumping to that other company...lol With that said, hopefully AMD don't let me down in the future, when I'm ready to upgrade again...lol

Alexzander said:
As impressive as that other company cpu looks...I can't see myself jumping ship just yet. I have never purchase an intel cpu (For ALOT of Reasons), and my Opty 165 @ 2.65 is providing me with a lot of love. I would buy a 7950 GTX video card to replace my sli 6800 GS before jumping to that other company...lol With that said, hopefully AMD don't let me down in the future, when I'm ready to upgrade again...lol

I'm happy with my 3500+ gaming performance but NOT with its multi-media performance or how it sucks at multi-tasking. It will become the wife's computer and Conroe E6600 will become mine some time next month.

^ yeah i'm happy with my 3000 + for gaming but with multiple apps going like 4 internet pages, and photoshop cs2 open, it goes pretty slow. I'm building a new rig when conroe comes out. Whats really wierd is that i've always been an nvidi fan and an amd fan but i'm switching over to intel conroe E6600, and switching over to an ati x1900xt. Very Very dumb question, i think it does but is the E6600 dual core? Please don't flame me, i think it is but i just wanna make sure

Donnie27 said:
I'm happy with my 3500+ gaming performance but NOT with its multi-media performance or how it sucks at multi-tasking. It will become the wife's computer and Conroe E6600 will become mine some time next month.
lol, yeah if I a single core cpu I would be upgrading too especially if you enjoy multitasking like myself. Multitasking isnt a problem with my Dual core OPTY 165 @ 2.65.. my video game playing could use a boost, thats why I would buy the 7900 GTX Video Card before switch to that other company...lol

boomheadshot45 said:
^ yeah i'm happy with my 3000 + for gaming but with multiple apps going like 4 internet pages, and photoshop cs2 open, it goes pretty slow. I'm building a new rig when conroe comes out. Whats really wierd is that i've always been an nvidi fan and an amd fan but i'm switching over to intel conroe E6600, and switching over to an ati x1900xt. Very Very dumb question, i think it does but is the E6600 dual core? Please don't flame me, i think it is but i just wanna make sure
YES!! It's called "Core 2 Duo" for reason...lol Just messing with you

We still haven't settled on who is bringing the beer for the bus trip to intel town. I'll bring JD & Coke. Who's bringing the cheetos?

Come on guys. It's time to focus on the important stuff.

Alexzander said:
lol, yeah if I a single core cpu I would be upgrading too especially if you enjoy multitasking like myself. Multitasking isnt a problem with my Dual core OPTY 165 @ 2.65.. my video game playing could use a boost, thats why I would buy the 7950 GTX Video Card before switch to that other company...lol

Yeah, LOL! Now if my bud's Yonah at only 2.4GHz didn't do the nasty to my BUd's $367 Opty [email protected], I wouldn't be looking at Conroe ;)

Then add to this, I like games but not enough to spend that much on a Video Card.

With all the money you are saving on gpus, you should bring the beer AND the cheetos!

texuspete00 said:
With all the money you are saving on gpus, you should bring the beer AND the cheetos!

I like Cheese Puffs better, beer Andechs?

I'll be picking up a E6600 when they come out, should be a good upgrade from my 3500+. :D

i was in two minds about this aswell.
but the fact that AMD are seriously dropping tjeir prices when the Conroe is released means i'll prolly go AM2 and get a 4200 X2

Stand strong with AMD.
Intel is the darkside.
AMD's prices are so low and the processors are way better :D

If I had a recent Amd chip on a 939 platform, there's no way I'd jump to intel. Even if intel is the fastest kid on the block, you have to weigh in the price of a new MB, new memory and probably a new heatsink/fan (ok that parts cheap).

Someone said something about their single core chip not multi-tasking well. That's a fair statement, but is it really worth spending 200-300 on a chip, 150-200 on a MB and another 150+ on memory, when for 170 you could drop an x2 3800 in or for 240 an x2 4200?

If I had a socket A or an older Intel chip, I suspect I'd go with Intel (need to see Price/performance as well as performance/watt ratios after Conroe is released to be certain), but I can't imagine the cheapest conroe chip (180 bucks give or take) is going to run 3x faster than an x2 3800, and once you factor in a new MB, RAM and so on, the conroe costs 3x as much as a CPU upgrade.

Of course if you're buying a top of the line CPU, then money is no object, then Conroe is probably the way to go (not sure if I've seen comparisons between it and the FX line....they're too rich for my blood).

Edit: Just read teh pc perspective article. It looks like Intel will blow AMD out of the water. If these performance numbers hold up and the power consumption issue of the Intels is fixed, I can't see why anyone would buy AMD, unless they already have an existing AMD rig and can just drop a new chip in.

This reminds me of that period when the p4c cores owned AMD. Unfortunately for Intel, I had no reason to upgrade and the 64 ruled by the time I did.

AMD Man 129 said:
Stand strong with AMD.
Intel is the darkside.
AMD's prices are so low and the processors are way better :D

Yeah they are better. That's why I've been through six while currently having three. They are better, now.

If you skip big jumps and are satisfied with your system it could make sense to wait. When cool shit comes out, I need it. Can't be on the sidelines. Selling my opty 170 now. Get an E6600 later. Use my strong clocking 3700+ SD until then. For the kind of money involved in swap outs, not going to be a bunch of shit that much faster than what I got out there at the stores without me buying it. I just care too much, read the reviews, etc. I'm not going to sit there and look at a bunch of big bars, going I want. I really don't think this cpu is minor and easily countered either. Seems people think K8L or something else that's going to grab major percentages is around the corner. We'll just have to agree to disagree there.

nilepez said:
If I had a recent Amd chip on a 939 platform, there's no way I'd jump to intel. Even if intel is the fastest kid on the block, you have to weigh in the price of a new MB, new memory and probably a new heatsink/fan (ok that parts cheap).

Someone said something about their single core chip not multi-tasking well. That's a fair statement, but is it really worth spending 200-300 on a chip, 150-200 on a MB and another 150+ on memory, when for 170 you could drop an x2 3800 in or for 240 an x2 4200?

If I had a socket A or an older Intel chip, I suspect I'd go with Intel (need to see Price/performance as well as performance/watt ratios after Conroe is released to be certain), but I can't imagine the cheapest conroe chip (180 bucks give or take) is going to run 3x faster than an x2 3800, and once you factor in a new MB, RAM and so on, the conroe costs 3x as much as a CPU upgrade.

Of course if you're buying a top of the line CPU, then money is no object, then Conroe is probably the way to go (not sure if I've seen comparisons between it and the FX line....they're too rich for my blood).
Right On!! That's What I told someone earlier..lol

If money is no object? Lol... life is short live fast. Depends what kind of dough you make I guess, but you don't have to be rich nor anything close. An E6600 will be a tad over $300 and handily maul everything. You can spend less on a lower stepping too. OC is the great equalizer. Architecture wins.

If you love hardware and make decent money, let me teach you about this secret called ebay! Selling my 170 and mobo will hardly be anything for the kind of boost I get. When you consider we sit here and post about hardware all day and have for years.

I don't get the *sad* sentiments about switching. Or seems to be the only other argument is money. It should at least be as understandable about money. Keep it in perspective. The cpu business is not the gpu one. It is boringly slow. What has happenned since the intro of A64, other than dual core? Enough to make you pass the hell out thinking about it, that's what. Intro of FX51 to now over how many years? A couple hundred MHz and duallies in one socket. Excuse me while I spooge. Nice lullaby thinking about that one. Fuck AMD 'til next year. This is big, be excited. Peace out!

Back