Any of the experts know anything about NZXT power supplies?

I was just over at a friend's house and his computer was acting odd. He's got this case and power supply:
http://www.chiefvalue.com/product-_...00-WATT-PS2-ATX-12V-2.0-Power-Supply---Retail

Aside from the awful gaudiness of the case, what is the quality of the power supply like? Who is the real manufacturer of the power supply? What is it really capable of? It seems like an X2 5000 and a 7800GT is bringing it to its knees. I haven't popped it open or even taken it out of the case, but I'm feeling that it's one of those classic (perhaps notorious?) Leadman built units that are probably capable of actually delivering around 200 watts.

Wow, that is one ugly case. I did a quick search and didn't find anything on this particular case and PSU, but I almost never trust a psu that comes with a case, even companies like Antec don't put their best psu's with their cases. If he is having weird problems, I'd start by replacing the psu with something more reliable and well known, preferably something Kyle or Johnny Guru has reviewed and approved. 500 watts should handle that system, but I'll bet that is more like a 300-350 PSU in real world testing . The pictures of the inside of a "1000" watt NZXT I found at another review site didn't look promising to me. Get the FCC id number off the PSU and google it, that should tell you the true manufacturer.

Thanks Ok Wolf, That was my impression from the pic of the guts of the "1000" watt version I found, but I couldn't be sure.

Actually, only their aftermarket power supplies are Topower. The units that come with the cases are Casing Macron.

Hmm. Casing Macron doesn't inspire me with confidence. I haven't noticed their name in any of the reviews of good PSUs. And considering when I googled "casing macron power supply review" this thread came up on the second page, there probably aren't a whole lot of decent reviews out there.

Thanks for the info!

Yes, I saw that site and it didn't help my opinion of the company. The highest rated PSU I could find is 460w on their site. I did find an MPT-5002 model number from an OEM, so it's possible that they do make a 500w unit and just don't list it on their site. But the one spec sheet I found for the 460w unit listed such great specs as ripple higher than ATX spec, 65% efficiency (which I imagine is at 230v and 25C), and a max operating temperature of 40C.

Seems more and more like a PSU issue to me (well, I was pretty sure that was it, it was just nice to confirm with you guys).

Back