Any new clip mics out yet?

AmberClad

[H]ard|Gawd
I've just broken my second set of Zalman clip mics (the cable is thinner than a strand of angel hair pasta). Has anyone come out with a better designed clip mic that attaches to regular headphones?

I vaguely remember someone on here posting a link to a contraption that included a magnet that you stick onto one ear cup and lets a mic boom attach/detach to it, don't remember what it was called. Barring that, if Beyer came out with a DT770-based version of this, I'd be all over it.

I think you are referring to the Laptec LVA-7330. It's a boom mic that you mod onto an actual good pair of stereo headphones if you don't want to use a gaming headset. It's what I use on my HD598. It's a million times better than the Zalman, especially if you are in a noisier environment as the unidirectional boom mic is gonna be the best for that.

I use industrial strength velcro tape to attach the boom to the headphones (after cutting off the rest of the plastic on the boom mic headset).

You can find the mics on eBay. They used to be harder to find.

Interesting. That said, the Labtec mod will cost around $5-$7 and some velcro.

Do you use this? I was going to get one but Amazon ran out. The few reviews there are are all good, what do you think of it?

I have one, and I think it's great. It may be a bit expensive for what it is, but it's great. Sound quality, from what others have told me, is very good. It's small and out of the way, and being detachable is nice. I have had multiple clip on mics and didn't like them. They are too far from your mouth, which adds background noise, and they add weight to your cable, which sucks.

Yep, that's the one I was thinking of. I'll have to take a closer look at my DT770s though, to see whether there's a good place to mount it -- most of the surface has an odd, almost scaly texture.

If it can mount to open headphones, you shouldn't have any problems. The adhesive bit is spongy, so it should fill in the texture of your cans. Also, because of the way it attaches, there is really nothing that going to be putting any pressure on it once its mounted. It's very strong. On my Denon's, I think I'd be hard pressed to get it off without using tools.

Back