Any lists around of Games that does NOT require internet ?

Do you live in some third world shit hole without access to a decent internet connection or something? Or are we boycotting internet enabled games out of some smug sense of moral superiority and a irrational longing for the good old days?

Do you live in some third world shit hole without access to a decent internet connection or something? Or are we boycotting internet enabled games out of some smug sense of moral superiority and a irrational longing for the good old days?

Yes.

Then you should probably just give up gaming. Everything these days requires an internet connection for one reason or another, or at least activates on Steam or some other service.

Good luck to you.

I think you would be better off targetting a few games that looks like you would enjoy playing, and then do a bit of Google searching. I don't think you're going to find any kind of master list like you are looking for.

The USA has pretty shitty internet overall. What's wrong with offline games?

I think you would be better off targetting a few games that looks like you would enjoy playing, and then do a bit of Google searching. I don't think you're going to find any kind of master list like you are looking for.

I buy most of my games via Steam. So I'm not sure what requires a persistent connection and what doesn't. Hard Reset comes to mind as one that may not require a connection. It's also worth pointing out that many Steam games can work in offline mode, but some don't.

Yea, you won't find a list like that, unless you make yourself one.

Instead of searching for a list just pick up an Xbox and hook it up to a PC monitor.

The USA has pretty shitty internet overall. What's wrong with offline games?

It may be shitty compared to countries like Japan, but it's good enough to play games with a persistent internet connection.

Check the System requirements, they shoudl list the requirement for an online connection..

As a rule

Anything with Steam, Game for Windows Live, Impulse in it are going to require online...

For other look at the system requirements

Buy a cell phone with a data plan and tether it to your computer. Even if the connection is shitty quality, it'll be good enough to connect to verification servers so you can play single player games. This won't require very much data usage at all.

I feel your pain. I work offshore where all internet is satellite based and highly firewalled (not to mention ISDN speed max) for a few weeks at a time. Fortunately I still have a backlog of really old games to play. Steam's offline mode works pretty well actually. GOG and Minecraft are amazing.

A nice list of games we can play during snowstorms and stuff would be nice to have. North Carolina has terrible internet that goes completely out every storm even though the electricity is still on. I would consider the list to be games that may require internet to register once, but then don't request it again.

Machinarium is a decent game that doesn't require internet. The Witcher 2 is also very nice. Dragon Age: Origins is fun to play if you don't mind not having DLC. Putting Steam into Offline Mode before traveling to an area without internet is a great suggestion also.

I suppose it has to be new games? When i lose internet, i go through my old games and re-play something like DX1 or some shit.

I suppose it has to be new games? When i lose internet, i go through my old games and re-play something like DX1 or some shit.

I have a nice MAME collection that I like to fire up from time to time. And I have SNES, Genesis, Atari, N64, Neo Geo, etc emulators also.

I'm pretty sure Fail owns the games your talking about, I'd wait for his list.

It may be shitty compared to countries like Japan, but it's good enough to play games with a persistent internet connection.

Comcast has been spotty all week for me, and I live 10 minutes from Redmond. There is definitely a market for quality single player games that don't need a constant connection.

Comcast has been spotty all week for me, and I live 10 minutes from Redmond. There is definitely a market for quality single player games that don't need a constant connection.

How about a market for better cable providers? yes please!

I've never lost internet more than once or twice in the last three years. At least not so long as power remained in service. And on the rare occasions when the internet has died, I've simply left my computer alone and done something else. It's nice to have other hobbies which do not depend on a computer or the internet. :)

I've never lost internet more than once or twice in the last three years. At least not so long as power remained in service. And on the rare occasions when the internet has died, I've simply left my computer alone and done something else. It's nice to have other hobbies which do not depend on a computer or the internet. :)

Ha ha when I was on DSL I couldn't raid past midnight. That's when Embarq is subject to shut down the internet for 30 minutes to 4 hours. This occurred 3 times a week sometimes. Crap was so bad I gave the raid leader of every MMO I played my phone number so they could call me to see if it looked like I was going to be able to get back on or just replace me.

Other times Embarq would lose the ability to connect to WoW and other MMO's. They would explain that some link in the field was acting up so they didn't have a time table to repair it. This happened at least 3 or 4 times a year and lasted a few days until they miraculously came back up.

And I found out the other day that my area is classified as an urban area by the Census Bureau. Which explains why my mailbox is in the 500's and my neighbor directly behind me is in the 3,000's. I guess 2,500 people may move onto the 3 acres our houses are on one day. I can only imagine the city planning that is going to be necessary for the 14 people that live on my road. Do we build skyscrapers or maybe some Macy's stores?

The sky is the limit!

Ever heard of military deployments? We do get off time you know.

Or travelling?

Or rural parts of the country?

Or ISPs that are just plain flaky?

:rolleyes:

Buy a cell phone with a data plan and tether it to your computer. Even if the connection is shitty quality, it'll be good enough to connect to verification servers so you can play single player games. This won't require very much data usage at all.

That would be a terrific solution if cell phone providers weren't greedy assholes who charge $20+ extra a month for a paltry 2 GB (Verizon, I'm looking at you!)

Like the data is any different going through a cell phone to another device than it is going directly to the phone itself.

Some military members are in those Third World shitholes risking their lives, and some of them DO like to game in their downtime to decompress.

Although to be fair, I personally would recommend those players play console games rather than PC games so that problem gets avoided.

I have played WoW and other games with service members in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Yeah, last time I got into WoW, I was deployed to Qatar (a cakewalk compared to Iraq/Afghanistan to be sure.) 500 ms pings suck but I tried to make it work.

Some military members are in those Third World shitholes risking their lives, and some of them DO like to game in their downtime to decompress.

Although to be fair, I personally would recommend those players play console games rather than PC games so that problem gets avoided.

I have played WoW and other games with service members in Iraq and Afghanistan.

i think he was acknowledging the military/third worlders with that post. i laughed at the OP response of yes to a non yes or no question.

i dont know any single player games that require a stable internet connection.

Back