Any legal way to get the W7 ISO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azureth

Supreme [H]ardness
I signed up and downloaded the beta awhile back (even burned it to a disc) but I lost it, is there anything that can be done?

It's perfectly legal to torrent a Windows CD if you possess the key. When you bought/signed up for Windows, you're really buying the key, not the media.

This thread makes me think one thing.....

YAAAAAAR!

pirate3_1.jpg

Can we get another?

YO HO HO AAAAAAARRRRRR!

you_are_a_pirate.jpg

It's perfectly legal to torrent a Windows CD if you possess the key. When you bought/signed up for Windows, you're really buying the key, not the media.

I'm pretty sure it's against the EULA to distribute copies of the retail CD/DVDs. You are allowed one personal copy and that's it. As far as Beta copies though, I don't think that's as applicable.

I'm pretty sure it's against the EULA to distribute copies of the retail CD/DVDs. You are allowed one personal copy and that's it. As far as Beta copies though, I don't think that's as applicable.

I should rephrase. It's not perfectly legal to torrent copies of the Windows disks, but rather I'm sure they're just ok with it so long as you purchased a key.

I should rephrase. It's not perfectly legal to torrent copies of the Windows disks, but rather I'm sure they're just ok with it so long as you purchased a key.

Which is why I have no problem letting my friends use my Windows installation DVDs since they have their own personal keys. One Vista disk is the same as another (bit-wise). They own the license, so it is not violating the EULA.

No it isnt.

MS states any downloads of software must come from their servers directly, period. MS isnt going to take responsibility and let people download torrented ISO since they cant control the possible injected content found in many of them.

NO IT IS NOT!!!!!

end of story PERIOD! it is NOT okay in any shape or form to download ANy MS software from ANY location OTHER then a MIcrosoft Server PERIOD!

If MS thought torrents were "okay" why wouldnt they use torrents for all their free public crap? thas right, they dont, cause they have no control over the content, last thing they need is people calling their support saying "um ya i downloaded this copy of XP and used my key and now my computer has a Virus, your OS sucks! i want my money back"

Which is why I have no problem letting my friends use my Windows installation DVDs since they have their own personal keys. One Vista disk is the same as another (bit-wise). They own the license, so it is not violating the EULA.

This is very different then downloading from a torrent site.

If you work in IT, go see your boss as he may allow you access to their Technet.
You can say something along the lines of you would like to get some experience of other software and be prepared for anything that is going to be commissioned in the workplace. Make sure you live up to that though if you want to have continued respect.
Technet is also a good wealth of troubleshooting help so you could ask for access to it on those grounds.
Better to ask permission to use the Windows 7 installer regardless of reason though.

No it isnt.

MS states any downloads of software must come from their servers directly, period. MS isnt going to take responsibility and let people download torrented ISO since they cant control the possible injected content found in many of them.

NO IT IS NOT!!!!!

end of story PERIOD! it is NOT okay in any shape or form to download ANy MS software from ANY location OTHER then a MIcrosoft Server PERIOD!

If MS thought torrents were "okay" why wouldnt they use torrents for all their free public crap? thas right, they dont, cause they have no control over the content, last thing they need is people calling their support saying "um ya i downloaded this copy of XP and used my key and now my computer has a Virus, your OS sucks! i want my money back"

I CAN TYPE IN BIG FONTS TOO! AND SOVERIGN'S SUGGESTION IS NO DIFFERENT FROM MINE!
End of story! Blah blah blah.

Geez. Chill out. It's not like I'm advocating piracy. He has his own freaking key. He just needs the media.

I CAN TYPE IN BIG FONTS TOO! AND SOVERIGN'S SUGGESTION IS NO DIFFERENT FROM MINE!
End of story! Blah blah blah.

Geez. Chill out. It's not like I'm advocating piracy. He has his own freaking key. He just needs the media.

Actually, it is different. One allows for a controlled transfer to those you KNOW have a legit key, while the other is the same as just leaving a stack of burnt DVDs out with a "take one -- FREE, but you need to have a key or you're a naughty naughty boy!" sign on the table.

He can get it from MS's download server...that's the answer. BitTorrent is hardly a legitimate source for alternate downloads, especially since it's pretty clear MS would not authorize that source for mirroring a download site.

No it isnt.

NO IT IS NOT!!!!!

Calm the fuck down. The 2nd time around he said it might not be legal, but MS probably doesn't care if you download a beta (which they don't)

Calm down people! Let's all hold hands and skip through fields full of fluffy bunnies!!

PS:

Windows 7 RC download leaked on April 24 at 12:57AM EST. The torrent can be found on all popular major t****nt sites.

Those pics apply to you Mr Guvernment ...

bunnyqyya.jpg

... especially the blue one.

I didn't know people were so hung up on doing things "legally" until I came to the OS subforum. Like, I'm not advocating privacy here, but I'd sure as hell go to a torrent site before I do without a freely available beta OS. I don't think the FBI is gonna kick down the door and bust your ass for using a torrented beta OS. :p

But yeah I agree with the other posters that the best course of action for you is just to wait until MS releases the RC on May 5th.

you should be banned

because there is no way to delete a thread, ya, good reason. :rolleyes:

i typed in caps cause he kept thinking it was okay, when it wasnt, and then tried to slip in with "not so okay"bottom line was, it isn't okay and is different then the other guy lending out his disk.

I shall apologies, just you see it so often people saying it is perfectly legal and okay to download windows from a torrent site, it gets tiring seeing people continually thinking that, when common sense would make you wonder differently (why doesnt ms release on torrent sites?)

The EULA is not necessarily the law.

wasnt it in the U.S that a judge declared the EULA isnt actually a binding contract or any type of agreement, since you can only read it once you own said material?

nice pics, but.... how does me pointing out someone elses incorrect advice make me dumb?

Get your TechNet on or the other MS link that was provided. No torrent links AT ALL please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back