Any last minute advice? I take my CCNA tomorrow.

cyr0n_k0r

Supreme [H]ardness
I've studied for about 3 months after work for about an hour a night. I've been using TestOut videos and have really enjoyed subnetting and converting IP's and subnet masks into binary and playing around with them.

Right now I'm getting about low through mid 90's on all the study guides I have.

Any last minute study advice before my test tomorrow?

Start writing down notes on a piece of paper in the areas you have trouble in. Before you take the test re-read them. Writing down notes is also like forging it into your mind.
Any trouble with ACLs? I still have some problems understanding how ACLs work.

check 9tut.com for the simulations on the ccna.

know NAT and how to configure the normal things on the router. I did all of my labs on the test in 5 mins tops when I took it last month. I finished the exam in under an hour.

Ooh! Thanks for that website! I'm fresh outta college with a CS degree looking for a job but not really trying to code. The economy is rough right now and I have many years of industry experience, but no actual certs besides my degree. CCNA is on my to do list. This website will give me the head start I need!

Keep track of your time and how long you're spending each question. Read each question thoroughly and most of all relax. I assume you're taking 802 and not the split exams. If you're scoring in the 90's you should do just fine. Just be confident in your knowledge of the topics and it's a breeze.

T minus 5 hours.

I'm at work right now but I'm leaving at lunch time. I'll let everyone know how I did.

I had a roommate last night help me study reading me questions. It is very different when someone reads them to you and you cant "see" the multiple choice answers you just have to think of them in your mind. Much more challenging I think.

Make sure you can count by 16's .... one of the favorite subnets of Cisco is the 255.255.255.240 Seriously practice it ... they do it because it is hard.

Subnetting is easy. You take 256-240=16 then minus 1 for network, and minus 1 for broadcast, then you have 14 hosts available for that subnet.

I couldn't take it.

I got a call from the testing center about an hour before and they said their "system was down" and they couldn't process any more exams today. Kinda ironic a testing centers computers go down, but oh well.

I've rescheduled for next week. Although it kinda upsets me that they wouldn't give me any kind of discount on the exam, or help me out any.. no vouchers or anything. Just "our systems down, sucks for you"

I couldn't take it.

I got a call from the testing center about an hour before and they said their "system was down" and they couldn't process any more exams today. Kinda ironic a testing centers computers go down, but oh well.

I've rescheduled for next week. Although it kinda upsets me that they wouldn't give me any kind of discount on the exam, or help me out any.. no vouchers or anything. Just "our systems down, sucks for you"

Most of life works that way.

I couldn't take it.

When I went to take the ICND1 exam the testing center's power was down. Rescheduled and passed. /shrug

I PASSED.

Due to scheduling conflicts I had to wait 2 weeks but I took it today and passed.

I got a 930 out of 1000. Not bad.

Awesome man, congrats.

I bailed on the ACL and NAT portion. Completely brain farted and forgot to copy run star.

I'm planning on retaking in a month or so. :(

Here is what I did that helped me SOOO much.

During the part right before the exam where it has you take that stupid survey.. well, it doesnt time that part.

So I took my plastic white board thing they give you and I basically calculated and wrote down every subnet, first host IP, last host IP, and broadcast address for subnet in a /27 and /28. I filled up the whole white board thing.

So then, as I was going through and got all those questions about "which ip's can you use for what subnets" I just referred to my white board.

I took the whole test in 45 minutes! Having that in front of me was awesome.

The longest part was the sims. I really wish there was a way to reset the sims. I messed up one of the interfaces and accidentally erased all the ip and subnet information that was already in there.

I also wish they wern't stupid and would let you mark questions and come back to them, or go back to previous questions. Once you're done with a questions you can't ever change it? I think thats dumb.

be careful what you use as study resources... some people choose to use brain dumps to get certs... which do you no good

Back