any IT guys here? Are you upgrading to Win 10?

x509

2[H]4U
Now? Later? Never? Clean installs? New disk images being pushed out? Just wondering how you guys do things differently than us guys who are just power users at home.

Work IT at a school district. We run virtual Windows 7 computer labs, teachers are mostly on Mac with a few windows machines. I'll spin up a virtual machine with the EDU Version and test in our environment, if everything checks out I'll set up an image and start upgrading the "power users." I probably won't be doing the labs for a few months, as Windows Update doesn't happen very often on them. When I finally do end up doing the labs, it will be one at first, and then wait to see what kind of issues the kids run into. I'll keep a spare lab of Windows 7 machines spun up that the kids can access alternatively just in case anything is broken beyond fixing.

Been upgraded for many months now.

Its great, I think Windows 10 is the next Windows 7 and/or Windows XP.

I'm a helpdesk tech at a software company, we still haven't force deployed it at our smaller offices it is a manual update through software center. We do try to get people who are on newer hardware updated if they are interested. Older machines I generally advise against it for now. We still have some people in our office on C2Q era machines, but have been updating those systems a lot more frequently this year to Devils Canyon. Pretty sure we will widely deploy it within the next few months.

Last edited:
Switched all but two machines here over to 10. Mainly to get to grips with the process for when customers start asking me to do it.

My main workstation desktop and laptop are staying on 7 Pro till around Xmas.

To be honest not that excited by Windows anymore. It reached its peak with 7 in terms of functionality and maturity. Now all versions since are "Now with added garnish and data monitoring you mostly will never use!"

More excited by ChromeOS. Yes the irony is not lost on me.

I am a desktop engineer level 3 so i'm directly responsible for our overall desktop environment including images, patching, packaging etc. and my company is already convinced it seems that Windows 10 is amazing and that we will move to it as soon as possible from 7. Many companies are this way due to the press the OS's get. I've seen this with MS going way back. And it seems to follow every other OS being "good" or "bad" as far as overall response. 8 was considered "bad" so here we are with 10 being "good" yet from an enterprise standpoint there is almost no reason whatsoever to run it.

I've been looking for those features that say we need this to justify upgrading over 50K computers but I just don't see it but we'll do it anyway since management thinks its great.

Upgrading now? Nope!
Recommended to customers? Aww HELL NAW!
Maybe later? Dunno. Totally avoided Win8 in-house. May do so because 10 offers us nothing that 7 hasn't already delivered.

*Revision*

And with the heapin' helpin of Big Brother baked in, the answer is probably "Not until they force Windows 7 from our cold, dead hands."

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a desktop engineer level 3 so i'm directly responsible for our overall desktop environment including images, patching, packaging etc. and my company is already convinced it seems that Windows 10 is amazing and that we will move to it as soon as possible from 7. Many companies are this way due to the press the OS's get. I've seen this with MS going way back. And it seems to follow every other OS being "good" or "bad" as far as overall response. 8 was considered "bad" so here we are with 10 being "good" yet from an enterprise standpoint there is almost no reason whatsoever to run it.

I've been looking for those features that say we need this to justify upgrading over 50K computers but I just don't see it but we'll do it anyway since management thinks its great.

Quite surprising that your company risks with teething problems and compatibility issues just because some press raves about Win10. The truth is I can't see any benefit from Win10 in a desktop working environment. Well perhaps workspaces, but even that requires users to learn new tricks.

If I was responsible I would wait a minimum year before jumping on it. Home use - now that's a whole different ballpark.

We're looking forward to moving to 10, have a few machines set up for testing...but we're stuck waiting on compatibility issues.

There's no RSAT released yet, so admins and help desk can't do their work yet. We'll be the first to deploy it and go through the teething issues...for probably several months before we roll it out to end users.

The AS400 client is being tested, as the old one no longer works. About 3/4 of the company is stuck still using that. I'm just glad that I managed to side-step that nonsense, both in use, and in having to test it out. I just gave the guy in charge of that stuff a Windows 10 laptop and told him to have fun.

I'm sure there are other issues as well, but we quite frankly can't wait to be able to make the upgrade (as in we're looking forward to it). They had been worried about licensing, but weren't aware that when I started last year, the new system images I made were actually using the manufacturer's OEM CDs or generic retail that activated off the SLIC settings in the BIOS, rather than the volume licensed versions they used to use (because I got tired of having to waste my time installing service packs). So, all of the hundreds of Dells, HPs, and Lenovos we've issued since February 2014 are eligible for upgrade through the OEM licensing rather than through any more complex licensing.

A significant portion of my enterprise is still on XP. We haven't gotten around to upgrading everyone to 7 yet, in part because of cost (some of these software upgrades are seriously expensive, $20,000+). We'll likely be on 7 well past the support cutoff in 2020, just as we're on XP past the support cutoff of 2014.

Though I'd imagine 10 will eventually be validated for deployment, say in 2-3 years. Our intranet is still coded for IE8, the training courses still use Flash, the VPN software still requires Java to install (and doesn't work at all on 8.1), etc etc. Just spend a few hundred thousand dollars fixing all of that, and we should be good!

We've done some testing at work to make sure W10 will be compatible with our dreary sales/inventory software. So far, so good. Entering our busy season so will probably hold off moving most of the machines to W10 until we slow down mid-October/early November. 10 should be more refined by then. Software folks have advised the same to give them a bit more time to optimize their code for W10. Our support calls to them were some of the first they'd had re: W10. Reminding the owners we have a year for the free upgrade and not to rush.

Our company works for Charter Schools throughout the entire state of Utah. While my own computers at home and at work run Windows 10, I'm only starting with 1 lab at each location to test for problems. We'll do a full roll out next summer.

Our end users will stay on Windows 7 pro for a long time. At home I will upgrade one or two of my machines sometime before the end of the "free" period but will not upgrade my primary system. I'm still on Windows 7 and will remain on it until the EOL/EOS. I've used Windows 8 minimally installed on a virtual machine and I repair Windows 8 machines all the time. Between Win8 and Win10 I really don't see a reason to upgrade. From a security stand-point I don't think there will be much, if any, improvement and the update botches I've seen with Windows 8 is enough to keep me from upgrading my primary system.

Now? Later? Never? Clean installs? New disk images being pushed out? Just wondering how you guys do things differently than us guys who are just power users at home.

Any IT decision maker worth their salt isn't touching Windows 10. Because an IT decision maker needs something substantial to answer the question "What will we gain for the upheaval? What new must have feature for our business does 10 have that 7 doesn't?" And the answer is nothing.

Nevermind all the new data mining and user tracking crap in 10 that can't all completely be disabled. So additional security risks for companies moving from 7 to 10.

We've rolled it out to a few of the IT people as a kind of internal testing. The multiple desktops alone have proven pretty popular. It finally hit volume license on Saturday, so we'll evaluate our roll out plan over the coming weeks.

We're still in the process of migrating to Win7, with some Win8 going out on the touch screen hardware for the VIPs/execs.

I have Win10 RTM installed in a VM, not seeing much that I would risk the upgrade on my current Win8 (need hyper-v) workstation for.

I can see it replacing Win8 in our environment short term (which is within 6-12 months at our pace), but I don't know about mass deployment.

Any IT decision maker worth their salt isn't touching Windows 10. Because an IT decision maker needs something substantial to answer the question "What will we gain for the upheaval? What new must have feature for our business does 10 have that 7 doesn't?" And the answer is nothing.

Nevermind all the new data mining and user tracking crap in 10 that can't all completely be disabled. So additional security risks for companies moving from 7 to 10.
Any IT decision maker worth their weight in salt would:
1) Let the business be a driver for the decision. Not unilaterally force anything.
2) Look at the feature set and decide for themselves if it is beneficial for their org with all aspects considered. Despite your bias, there are benefits to Win10 - quite a few, actually.

Don't see it happening for a couple years at least. Win 7 is running fine and stable. Maybe will start evaluating later this year if there would be anything to gain.

We've rolled it out to a few of the IT people as a kind of internal testing. The multiple desktops alone have proven pretty popular. It finally hit volume license on Saturday, so we'll evaluate our roll out plan over the coming weeks.

Coming from 7 there are a number of improvements to the desktop experience. Virtual desktops for one that you mention. Then there's new task manager, 4 way snapping, monitor edge snap detection and something from Windows 8.x that's great for multiple monitors, task bars on all monitors.

Has it even come out in the volume licensing? I do t suspect too many places will upgrade until they can through their software assurance licenses

It his ours on Saturday. From what I've read and a few colleagues I've spoken to at other companies, theirs also became available on Saturday.

We're looking in to upgrading to Win10 now.
We have not started.

We have to be off Win7 when it ends extended support.
The plan is to have Win10 on the new machines when the old ones get replaced.
It takes us about 4 years to replace all the machines in the org.

So... completely not true. There are plenty of reasons we have to look in to upgrading.
Sure, we could upgrade to Win8.1, but that ends extended support in 2023. So we're not gaining much ground. We'd have to turn around and upgrade again as soon as we finished.

We also haven't seen what the GPO templates look like for 10 yet, so there is a great chance that a lot of this crap is easily disabled via GPO.
There are probably more things that are configurable in the Enterprise version that are forced on to the Home editions than just Automatic Updates.

Small business IT here, upgrading to be able to standardize all Windows versions from 7/8 to 10.

I can only get boxed copies from where I'm from so this is the main driver.

Seems that transfer of retail license will be problematic though.

Got off MS chat and they said that after the 1 year period, and to transfer your key (assuming retail versions), you'll basically need to go through the activation hotline.

I see no gain in moving to win10. The unfamiliar environment would set back productivity across the board. And the other improvements are minor compared to this. Not to mention all the crap that you manually have to turn off. And tons of potential compatibility issues.
No thanks.

No need to update existing windows 7 installs.
Will probably look at deploying in production when i can not buy hardware with windows 7 pro on it.
I have been using it on a virtual machine for quite a while now.

If your business is running 7 Pro then I would recommend staying on that till 2019 and then migrating to whatever came out end of 2018 for 2020.

No need to shift till you have to. 2019 will soon be here.

Coming from 7 there are a number of improvements to the desktop experience. Virtual desktops for one that you mention. Then there's new task manager, 4 way snapping, monitor edge snap detection and something from Windows 8.x that's great for multiple monitors, task bars on all monitors.

Which to 98% of general admin/work users...means nothing.

We are running Windows 7 here with no immediate plans to upgrade.

This morning at work though, multiple computers were trying to download the Windows 10 ESD file, which basically chewed up all the bandwidth. All of our computers are joined to a domain. I thought I wouldn't have to worry about this at all since domain computers don't get the reservation update installed.

Anyone else run into this problem?

I'm the resident Windows geek at work. There is one other guy that has tried it. But, they all ask me how I like it and if it's good and if they should upgrade.

At work? We don't have any immediate plans to upgrade from 7 to 10. We might look into it next year, though. We just finished a large migration from XP to 7. The IT manager was impressed when I've showed him a few demos, though. He wants to go forward, but it's just not realistic at this point. Waiting on RSAT, playing with GPO's, etc. to see how well it would actually work in our environment. Compatibility seems to be the least of our worries as every machine I've thrown it on (every model we have deployed) works excellent with most drivers baked into the OS (Lenovo T420,430,440,450/M90,M93).

Home? If you upgrade, make a good backup. :)

I am, simply to stay familiar with direction ms is going so I don't have a heart attack when its hits server

Considering the ISO has not been released to the Volume channels, not happening anytime soon.

Testing on a few laptops has not revealed any show stoppers as of yet, but I doubt it will roll into action before jan 1 2016. Too many things to test still. Half our building is on 8.1, half on 7 so we will likely start rerolling 7 clients first to 10, and then catch our 8.1 up after. Before that gotta integrate it into Kace, inject drivers for 10, test all of our 500 billion crappy legacy applications etc.

But I don't plan the WS OS rollouts, so ill just sit here with my SAN and my switches. meh

We are running Windows 7 here with no immediate plans to upgrade.

This morning at work though, multiple computers were trying to download the Windows 10 ESD file, which basically chewed up all the bandwidth. All of our computers are joined to a domain. I thought I wouldn't have to worry about this at all since domain computers don't get the reservation update installed.

Hell no, we run 7/8 ENT. No version changes allowed via update. That would be an epic disaster. :eek:

I just did, from a Win7 Ultimate install. Went to Windows 10 Pro using the Windows Update method.

So far so good. All drivers working as usual, the entire environment appears ported over well enough... was quite smooth. Actually impressed.

It seems like a fun OS. I'll have a good little time tweaking it out. It almost feels like Windows 7 actually!

Edit: Tweaking this now!: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-update-delivery-optimization-faq

We're looking in to upgrading to Win10 now.
We have not started.

We have to be off Win7 when it ends extended support.
The plan is to have Win10 on the new machines when the old ones get replaced.
It takes us about 4 years to replace all the machines in the org.

So... completely not true. There are plenty of reasons we have to look in to upgrading.
Sure, we could upgrade to Win8.1, but that ends extended support in 2023. So we're not gaining much ground. We'd have to turn around and upgrade again as soon as we finished.

"Plenty of reasons" - what specifically? I'm genuinely curious since I'm not seeing what must-have new features exist in 10 that make any difference to business/enterprise.

Extended support on Win7 ends in 5 years so I don't see the hurry. That your company is an edge case that takes 4 years to do an upgrade doesn't disprove the general rule that most companies are in no rush to immediately upgrade.

Did you block the KB that puts that flag in the bottom right on your WSUS server?

Considering the ISO has not been released to the Volume channels, not happening anytime soon.

It's out. I just downloaded Pro, Enterprise, Ent LTSB, and Education (probably don't need that one)

"Plenty of reasons" - what specifically? I'm genuinely curious since I'm not seeing what must-have new features exist in 10 that make any difference to business/enterprise.

Extended support on Win7 ends in 5 years so I don't see the hurry. That your company is an edge case that takes 4 years to do an upgrade doesn't disprove the general rule that most companies are in no rush to immediately upgrade.

Your post that I quoted stated nothing about "being in a hurry."
I even stated we aren't in a huge rush.

Not all orgs can afford to replace 4,000 machines in a single year; some probably have a hard time spending that much money over a 2 year period.
We are far from "unique."

HIPAA, PCI Compliance, and Safe Harbor is reasoning enough to start planning now, with an anticipated finish date being prior to 2020.

Back