Any Home Theatre Speaker users here?

receiver and 2.0 first then upgrade later

my personal choice would be denon or harman kardon or the panasonic all digital receiver, i'm sure there are plenty of other good brands out there, but thats my choice.

speakers? oh man that's tough, but i'd either get book shelves or floorstanders. brand and model? even tougher, to TONS and TONS of research

Well, for your $1,000 budget, I would go with HSU Research's Ventriloquist VT12 speakers -

http://www.hsustore.com/vt12.html

combined with their excellent VTF-2 MK-2 subwoofer - (you could also drop down to their STF-2 if you want to save $100)

http://www.hsustore.com/vtf2.html

That will bring you up to $700 (or $600 with the STF-2), toss in a Panasonic XR55, and with shipping you should be around $1,000 ($900), with a tiny form factor setup that'll blow away anybody listening to it, I'm sure.

If you want larger, I can't help you, as I would go with SVS' 5.1 kit for $1,000, but it's backordered for who knows how long, as are Ascend Acoustics' products.

Once they come in stock again, SVS's 5.1 setup would be superb, as would anything by Ascend. (www.svsound.com or www.ascendacoustics.com)

Any questions?

Yeah, I neglected to mention the Onix offering, primarily because nobody knows when the 5.1 set will actually be out...I don't know if Mark even knows. As far as I know, the center doesn't even have concrete specs yet, so it could be a year or something absurd.

Anyway, I would probably still give the nod to SVS due to my experience with their sub (the PB10-ISD)...it just...wow.

Of course you could always sell the x-sub and get the pb10 if you so desired.

so_cal_forever said:
I'd suggest pre-ordering the Rocket XLS 5.1 system. Word has it, this system is going to blow the budget division out of the water.

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=83.1

Pair that with a decent 5.1 receiver and you'd be set. The question is, do you have the patience to wait?

those are the ones I am waiting for... They are already selling XLS pairs and the page says March... so it shouldn't be too much longer.

you could get a decent reciever & the XLS's for under 1g pretty easy. I would say.. this would be your best bet for the price.

I was on the same boat, the amp on the Gigaworks crapped on me. My suggestion is that that you spend all your budget on receiver, the three front speakers and a subwoofer. You can use your Gigaworks speakers for the sattellites. I think they are good enough to be used for the surrounds until you have enough budget to real surround speakers.

But if you dont want to spend further down the road, i would suggest you to follow the other poster's recommendation like SVS or Onix for complete speaker set.

As for the suggestion for the receiver, i think the Panasonic XR-55 and HK AVR-135 would fit your budget very well. I went with the panny because it is cheaper and based on the review they both perform around the same.

Hope that helps.

so_cal_forever said:
I'd suggest pre-ordering the Rocket XLS 5.1 system. Word has it, this system is going to blow the budget division out of the water.

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=83.1

Pair that with a decent 5.1 receiver and you'd be set. The question is, do you have the patience to wait?

Sorry if this is OT... but how do the X-LS speakers compare against Klipsch's RSX-3/4 satellites?

If you can find the Acoustic Research HC6, they sound great for around 350. With money left over for receiver and such.

RailGunRiz said:
The thing that confuses me about the receivers is the numerous connection ports in the back. If I recall these receivers connect to computers via (Optical? or is it SPDIF? or neither :confused: ?)

Optical = Coax = digital (SPDIF).
You can connect your speakers with either one of those formats or use 1/8" mini to 2-RCA to the receiver. Also, some sound cards will not output everything to SPDIF. I know my Revolution 7.1 would only do Coax whenever I play a DVD, but never for music or games. My onboard could send everything through the Optical and Coax.

RailGunRiz said:
Got any reccommendations for a receiver? I figure I'll allocate 380.00 total towards that since those $700.00 are gonna take up most of my spending. (I know I'm tippin over 1g but who cares :p )

For receiver choices: Denon, HK, Onkyo, Panasonic (the XR55 or XR70) all are good choices as far as brands go. I'm not sure what the impedence on the gigaworks is, but those brands should be able to drive them without any problems, if you choose to slowly upgrade while using your gigaworks.

I was in a similar situation and I opted to go with a 3.1 (LCR + sub) setup first, and expand from there.
I currently own:
Ascend Acoustics CMT-340SE Center
Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE L/R
SVS PB10-ISD Sub
all powered by an HK240 connected through the Optical from my onboard sound. The sound is significantly better; clearer and fuller than my previous set of speakers (Klipsch 4.1s).

From what I read, the SVS 5.1 speaker package with subwoofer is impressive and fits your $1k budget. I would just recommend staying away from HTiBs if you're looking into speaker sets.

RailGunRiz said:
Yeah I was planning on buying the speakers/receiver piece by piece not outta some ol' best buy box heh :cool:

but, I still need some recommendation(s) on a receiver, I looked at the Harmon Kardon ones and they're visually attractive but the reviews on em' are all over the place. If you own an HK let me know how you like it (they look pretty nice to me)

Since you're limiting your budget to $1k, I would recommend the Panasonic Digital 7.1 Receiver XR-55 (runs about $230 on jr.com). It is a highly recommended receiver - read more about it on
AVS Forum.

I chose Harmon Kardon because of their reputation for building great receivers and for aesthetics. Overall, I like my receiver. It has EZSet, which sets all the speaker levels with the included microphone automatically.

RailGunRiz said:
I currently own these speakers at the moment Gigaworks and I've already had to RMA them once. In fear of them dying again (subwoofer crapped out on me like 4 months ago and now my warranty is up) I am going to switch over to Home Theatre/HDaudio now. I hear they're more reliable/sound better too. I own an X-Fi Plat. too now so hooking them up to my computer shouldn't be too bad (I know I'll need some sort of receiver)

So my question is, do you know of any good combos to start out with? I have about 1G to spend on this and I was looking for 5.1/7.1 setup but I guess if it sounds better than what I got now I can go lower (like 2.1, 4.1, ect).

Thanks!

Well, for home theater use, the X-hype has to go.

I have no clue why so many have hardons for creative products: none support Dolby Digital Live, which is the only way to send the digital 5.1 single to a receiver and have the receiver decode it properly.

Plenty of internet brands that can help save you money. I am a fan of av123.com, I currently own 550's, 150's and 200 center. I pair it with an HSU sub and sound fantastic. With your price range, I would suggest 2 channel and adding over time.

RailGunRiz said:
I'm gonna assume that's a great setup but, believe me, I don't know what's good or not so when I look at your components it's like :confused:

But anyway, how much did that run you? How has it treated you in terms of reliability/playback? Sound good?

His set up is mass retail quality, not that high end at all.

Strife said:
Sorry if this is OT... but how do the X-LS speakers compare against Klipsch's RSX-3/4 satellites?

Two different types of speakers. I personally dislike Klipsch. Way, way, way too bright. The THX Ultra 2 home theater setup they have is very nice, though, it is located here: http://www.klipsch.com/product/list.aspx?line=1276&type=All

THX itself is a joke, as the standards one must meet are pretty much already met by most mid to high end components and speakers. However, this system is one of the best I have ever heard for strictly HT use. It was also running off of some shit-your-pants expensive Krell gear.

Strife said:

I'd think the X-LS speakers will be better, but they aren't really the same type of speakers. RSX-3/4's are compact satelites while the X-LS speakers are bookshelves.

Yes...I use home theatre speakers.

And then some

RailGunRiz said:
Yeah I was planning on buying the speakers/receiver piece by piece not outta some ol' best buy box heh :cool:

but, I still need some recommendation(s) on a receiver, I looked at the Harmon Kardon ones and they're visually attractive but the reviews on em' are all over the place. If you own an HK let me know how you like it (they look pretty nice to me)

Im not that fond of the HK receivers as far as looks go. At your price point, look more at the features of the receiver.
I personally prefer denon receivers for the sub 400$ market.

In your first post, you never really said if you were going to be listening to a lot of surround sound (you just said HT). Will you be?

If you are, then 5.1 speakers will be better for the surround effect, but obviously not as good as a 2 channel setup for the same price.

Do yourself a favor and check out your local pro audio shop. See what they have to offer.

You asked if they will blow your cretive speakers out of the water. Simply put, if you have heard nothing better then the creative speakers, then yes. Sadly though, sound quality will still be lacking, even compared to 300$ headphones. But, that's the way it is with speakers. Don't expect truely orgasmic sound for less then 500$ a speaker give or take.

towert7 said:
You asked if they will blow your cretive speakers out of the water. Simply put, if you have heard nothing better then the creative speakers, then yes. Sadly though, sound quality will still be lacking, even compared to 300$ headphones. But, that's the way it is with speakers. Don't expect truely orgasmic sound for less then 500$ a speaker give or take.

I think the last part of your statement is very relative. I think that for $300, the sound for him could be orgasmic as you said.

I know this because I used to think the same... 3 years ago, $300 was awesome for me. Now, nothing under $4000 is orgasmic.

It's all relative - seeing what tier he's at now, I'm willing to bet that anything under $300 will be an awesome stepup for him.

As for the OP, I would really suggest either the XLS, the Athena BS1.2, RTi4, SVS SB1, HTD Level 3 speakers, or the RSX4/5.

Pinipig523 said:
It's all relative - seeing what tier he's at now, I'm willing to bet that anything under $300 will be an awesome stepup for him.
Yea, your right. To him, they will probably blow his mind in comparison.

From my experience though, there came a point where speakers stoped sounding "great", but started to actually give me chills on how good they were. For 5.1 speakers, his price point wasn't it for me.

towert7 said:
From my experience though, there came a point where speakers stoped sounding "great", but started to actually give me chills on how good they were.

I completely agree my friend... I completely agree. Listening to my Vantage gives me those chills.... even if I'm not in the sweetspot but somewhere else in my apartment - even if I'm brushing my teeth in the bathroom, I still get chills!

It's nuts. :eek:

I am about to start on a small office project in my house, sectioning off an unused part of the garage. I am going to build everything from scratch, cabinets, desktop and have it all set up the the way I want.
For computer sound I am thinking of using these, as they are just sitting in my garage right now.

Linn Wakonda preamp
Dynaco 70 tube amp
Sonus Faber Concertinos

Any thoughts, or problems with using this stuff.

eddiemc said:
I am about to start on a small office project in my house, sectioning off an unused part of the garage. I am going to build everything from scratch, cabinets, desktop and have it all set up the the way I want.
For computer sound I am thinking of using these, as they are just sitting in my garage right now.

Linn Wakonda preamp
Dynaco 70 tube amp
Sonus Faber Concertinos

Any thoughts, or problems with using this stuff.

Nice Dynaco. Where did you get it? Is it the original or a kit based of the 70? If original, what are the numbers on the transformers? Any pitting on the chrome?

I've been savin for a nice Outlaw Pre-Amp, Amp, and Swan Speakers best bang for your buck.

himmy said:
Nice Dynaco. Where did you get it? Is it the original or a kit based of the 70? If original, what are the numbers on the transformers? Any pitting on the chrome?

Its an original Dynaco 70, 2 transformers have A470 on them and 1 has PA 060.
Needs a good cleaning, cant say if there any pitting. I got it at an estate sale.

eddiemc said:
Its an original Dynaco 70, 2 transformers have A470 on them and 1 has PA 060.
Needs a good cleaning, cant say if there any pitting. I got it at an estate sale.

How much you get it for?

Clean that puppy up and you can get a good chunk of change online at audiogon.com, or even ebay.

himmy said:
How much you get it for?

Clean that puppy up and you can get a good chunk of change online at audiogon.com, or even ebay.

I have the Dynaco preamp SS version, and a Fisher tube tuner, some custom made speakers. My wife works for the estate sale company so I get in early and get all the good stuff for next to nothing. Think I paid $20 for the lot, but will keep them for my office setup.
All my home theater stuff is Linn with tri-amped Aktiv Linn speakers.
I have a Mcintosh MAC4300V reciever for the whole house speakers.

As you can guess, I like music. :D

The speakers with the gigaworks are actually ok(with the exception of the sub), it is the amp that is absolute crap.

Either way, the system is inadequate for theater, is really only ok for gaming.

I'd budget your money for a good pre-amp/receiver, sub, center and two fronts. Use the the gigaworks for surrounds and backs until you have more money to replace them.

I use Denon for source and amplification, Martin Logan for mains, and HSU for subs, atm, ascend acoustics for surrounds/back and a jamo for the center. Kind of frankenstein, but I usually have more issues with the rooms I setup in than with matching the speakers.

Back