Any GTX 460 Deals? Advice?

clarkkent57

Limp Gawd
Work was such a f'ing POS this last two weeks that I missed the smokin' deals on the GTX 460.

The best current deal I've found is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127512

MSI N460GTX Cyclone 768D5/OC GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 768MB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Which works out to $150 + tax after MIR w/ free shipping. Deal ends 10/5.

So, loyal [H]ard-ites, should I grab this or wait? Frankly, for my purposes, I don't need the card, but I am thinking about the possibility that I MIGHT want to play a game in the near future, and currently do some video transcoding. (Does the speed performance of a video card affect transcoding time?)

I could even get by with a GTS 450 but it would have to be about $100 (before rebates, etc)before it was worthwhile, and that's not to be found anywhere at that price.

ATI products are not viable for me due to repetitive driver performance issues. (But I have a HD5550 in my HTPC, so obviously I am not a hater.)

$10 more for the 1gb version. Seemed like a better deal to me.
Forgot about the backorder, though. I suppose that makes a difference.

Just a warning: you'll probably never receive your rebate if you get one from MSI, even if you do everything exactly right before sending it in. I never got my 8800GTS rebate. :(

This MSI GTX 460 has great tech reviews, and this 768 includes a quiet and very good performing fan to promote lower heat in your PC case

MSI GTX 460 768MB w/ aftermarket GPU fan = $175 + Free shipping
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003V8B4QM?ie=UTF8&tag=signhtml-20&151591871591

Or if you want the overclocked GTX 460 1GB version (on sale $225), they have it on sale today when you click the price button it shows the lower price --you will get about 5-10% more FPS (frames per second) when gaming, its worth it in the long run if you game a lot.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VWW4AI?ie=UTF8&tag=amaznn4-20&15159187

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I would wait if your in no hurry to buy, thats what Im doing. Once theses 6xxx cards come out and with the holidays appaorching you will find better deals.

not necessarily -- the GTX 260 could be had for a good price at release, and then it stayed the same or went up in price for nearly two years!

There is a fantastic deal at gamestop right now on a GTX 460 1GB Galaxy card for $150 after rebate. yes it is backordered - but what difference does it make if you don't NEED the card right now. That is the best price I think you'll see for a long time to come. There is a galaxy rep on the board here to does a good job taking care of [H] members. He worked out an RMA I needed on a galaxy card fan without any hassle at all.

Well, I just sold my 8800 GT (flashed to 9800) and my 9800 GT for $120 for both, so I'm getting there. Just need to get rid of a few more items. (Don't get me wrong, I have the money, but I'm trying to make myself get rid of stuff I don't use anymore.) Hopefully somebody will buy the wireless digital earbuds, and then I'm home free.

Limping along on a 7600 GT for now! C'mon, eBay!

I would like the extra performance of a 470 in a 460 heat package. :/

I have some really solid advice for you that has served me well over the years.

I did notice you mentioned you wanted a deal on a 460. And the others are right, don't skimp on frame buffer memory.

Here's an example. With a 512 meg card or even a 768 meg card or what have you, if you play World of Warcraft you will get those little screen hic-cups as scenery and other graphics are swapped in and out of your smaller frame buffer.

1gig is good.

But the advice is this, save your money for a 6870. Those cards will only be around $400 dollars. Sure you were looking to spend $150. I know, $250 is a chunk more but EVERYONE has stuff they don't use they can sell. Anytime these new cards come out, once a street date is announced I spend those 2 weeks or more and sell a few odds and ends and I'm good to go. I always have and always well ... buy a new video card the day they come out on newegg.

I don't know about the rest of you but there are 3 things that are totally worth the extra cash. Your computer chair for your ass, the monitor for your eyes and a video card for your gaming.

Look around your room, I promise you will see $250 worth of crap you can sell on craigslist tomorrow.

LOL! Thanks.

Not a gamer tho. I was looking to upgrade for present and future compatibility for video encoding and decoding, more than anything.

When it comes to games, the last one I played was DIablo II, and not exactly waiting for III.

Don't know what all the fuss with the latest and greatest graphics adapters is anyway. I mean, my temp backup 7600 GT still gives me all 16 colors in Donkey Kong.

JK ;)

I have some really solid advice for you that has served me well over the years.

I did notice you mentioned you wanted a deal on a 460. And the others are right, don't skimp on frame buffer memory.

Here's an example. With a 512 meg card or even a 768 meg card or what have you, if you play World of Warcraft you will get those little screen hic-cups as scenery and other graphics are swapped in and out of your smaller frame buffer.

1gig is good.

But the advice is this, save your money for a 6870. Those cards will only be around $400 dollars. Sure you were looking to spend $150. I know, $250 is a chunk more but EVERYONE has stuff they don't use they can sell. Anytime these new cards come out, once a street date is announced I spend those 2 weeks or more and sell a few odds and ends and I'm good to go. I always have and always well ... buy a new video card the day they come out on newegg.

I don't know about the rest of you but there are 3 things that are totally worth the extra cash. Your computer chair for your ass, the monitor for your eyes and a video card for your gaming.

Look around your room, I promise you will see $250 worth of crap you can sell on craigslist tomorrow.

According to some articles, 6870 is just a renamed 5770. It is also suppose to be slightly better than the 5850. At the cost of around $400 (If this is actual price) You may as well get a GTX 470 at around $270-300 which actually beats the 5870 in some benchmarks.

The only time the 6870 would be excellent is if its around $300, but I would say they are not a great deal at $400.

Edit: Since OP said its just for video encoding and decoding, I do suggest you get the 1GB GTX 460 than 768MB.

Last edited:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814261076

I bought one of those to replace my 8800gts oc 640mb.

Then I ended up getting a larger monitor, and this card isn't as consistant on the frams, 2560x1600, mind you...

So I ordered another one, to SLI.

http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1916&pageID=9415

The first card came with Just Cause 2, along with a $50 rebate. I did get an sc2 card with the first one, I don't. however, think I'll use them.

That is an excellent card, but since OP doesnt plan on using for games and such, a normal 460 1GB priced around $190-200 should be fine.

http://www.evga.com/products/prodlist.asp?switch=20

Scroll down and see the GTX460 for $150...no nonsense (MIR, Discount Codes, Etc) and free shipping.

Only be worried about 90day warranty and no accessories.

What you meant to say was that some of the leaked info suggests that the new 6750 - 6770 are renamed 5870's. And even that stuff, the numbers were proven to be wrong. No, the new 6870's coming out new designs at .28 micro process.

The reason I made the suggestion since he is asking for advice is if he goes top end now, next year he will not be in the boat he is in now and won't have to upgrade. That's what a lot of people never seem to put much logic into. They buy cheap then drive to the mall and drop $150 on console crap and another $20 on lunch.

Hell, just get the best of the best now and enjoy it.

Actually...I'm leaning toward the Gamestop deal, even if I have to wait, since you gave the advice on the 1GB for encoding/decoding. Besides, for something like this, while I don't care about extras, I DO care about warranties.

Got some time, though, before I have to decide, so guess I will wait to see what comes on special this week.

Thanks, all. I really appreciate it.

Hmmm...just reading the latest on the 6XXX lineup, it kind of confirms what I thought based on the earlier rumors and minor blurbs. Hey, less power consumed per performance is never a bad thing, and even more performance for the same power isn't bad either...but you can't usually get both in only changing layer process, and almost never in one generation change. (And I've been buying and using chips since befor CMOS and the first 555 timer was on sale @ Radio Shack!)

Most of what I read centered around the main objective: thin layer process making for a greener product; almost nothing ever discussed performance, and one article even said that AMD was "de-empasizing" the performance angle.

I think I will wait for the [H]ard analysis which will undoubtedly happen in a couple of weeks. It should be very telling...and I'm very curious about parallel performance in tesselation. I've read hints and rumors about improved tesselation in the 6XXX line, but nothing confirming it and/or about how they're planning on achieving it.

Anyone else hear anything more specific, other than the Oct 18 release?

What you meant to say was that some of the leaked info suggests that the new 6750 - 6770 are renamed 5870's. And even that stuff, the numbers were proven to be wrong. No, the new 6870's coming out new designs at .28 micro process.

The reason I made the suggestion since he is asking for advice is if he goes top end now, next year he will not be in the boat he is in now and won't have to upgrade. That's what a lot of people never seem to put much logic into. They buy cheap then drive to the mall and drop $150 on console crap and another $20 on lunch.

Hell, just get the best of the best now and enjoy it.

Where did you get info of the 6750 being 5870? As said in previous message, the new Barts, HD 68XX are replacing the 57XX.

http://www.nordichardware.com/news/...d-6870-and-6850-launches-on-october-18th.html

It all depends on how they test once they are out. Current Nvidia cards are competitive due to their performance/price. AMD's current card are more expensive than Nvidia when comparing similar performance. You noted that the 6870 will cost around 400 dollars and unless it ends up better than the GTX 470 (also slightly better than the HD 5850) you can get similar "best of the best" performance for 100 dollars less.

Edit: clarkken57, as you said you do care about warranties, If you go with Nvidia, certain EVGA cards have lifetime warranties. You will have to look for cards with "AR" at the end of its model. Sparkle also offers lifetime warranties, but I never experienced them. Others provide 2-3 year warranties.

Last edited:
you can get anything with a warranty.
PROBLEM IS TO GET IT

I remember hearing people screaming about cards that require you to mail it to taiwan for warranty replacement.
I think it was powercolor and spakle.
in other words their warranty is not worth shit.

you can get anything with a warranty.
PROBLEM IS TO GET IT

I remember hearing people screaming about cards that require you to mail it to taiwan for warranty replacement.
I think it was powercolor and spakle.
in other words their warranty is not worth shit.

Delicately put, my friend, but true nonetheless. Since (and including) the 6600 GT's I SLI'ed, I've bought nothing but EVGA through the 7XXX, 8XXX, and 9XXX series, for just that reason. I was planning on EVGA for the 460, but would also consider Gigabyte, because every Gigabyte product I ever bought (and there have been many) were solidly built, feature-packed, and rock-solid reliable. I'm running three of the their motherboards as I write this.

Recently, I bought a PowerColor HD5550 for the big HTPC, but only because of audio bitstreaming. Unfortunately, though a good card, I run Arcsoft's TMT3 because I have a combo Blu-Ray / HD-DVD player, and it's only compatible with the 10.5 Catalyst drivers (which took me a LOOOONG time to find and fix)...so I had to disable auto-updating. This might be all the fault of Arcsoft, and not AMD...but it still sucks, and I never really had that problems with NVIDIA drivers and/or compatibility. Seems like AMD/ATI has driver issues that go on forever, and that they don't settle before they move on to the next card. (And I used to own the 9XXX series and before).

For the little HTPC I use SPDIF to a small, non-bitstreaming receiver, so my choice of card was a Gigabyte GT 240. Great little card, and got it on a smokin' deal...like, $20 after MIR. (Not so with the HD5550. I got a decent deal, but not that little.) I know it's not going belly-up anytime soon...but the 5550 makes me a little nervous, considering all the tweaking I had to go through to get it to work right, and knowing where I have to send it if it goes bad. (Which it probably won't...but still...)

So...for a card that I could conceivably have to return, I want a company that will stand by me, and EVGA has once replaced a card for me, no muss, no fuss, and gave me a generous deal on a step-up once as well.

EVGA and Gigabyte have also always honored my rebates quite speedily without fail, so far.

Question: Is the Sparkle company that makes the cards the same Sparkle company that makes the power supplies? If so...yikes!

You can write anything down a piece of paper you include with the device...but living up to it is another thing altogether...and if you're worth your salt, you built it in such a way that it wasn't needed.

(Kingston also deserves an honorable mention here. I once found a 1GB stick of memory in a trash can, and, of course, it didn't work. I called Kingston and they said, "lifetime is lifetime; doesn't matter who bought it, so send it in.")

I went with the Galaxy 768MB GTX 460 @ Tigerdirect - lowest price, free shipping, and no tax. AFter rebate and Bank of America Add It Up, it comes to about $135 after everything.

Good deal and completely meets my needs. Thanks to all!

Back