Any good turn based strategy games out?

IceDigger

[H]F Junkie
Looking for some turn based strategy games. Do they still make them anymore?

Empire Total War
King's Bounty (kind of)
Civ 4 and expansions and mods (Rise of Mankind Mod in particular)
Galactic Civilizations 2

Final Fantasy Tactics.
Fallout: Tactics
Hero's of Might and Magic series.
Kings Bownty
Rome Total War
Medieval Total War

There few and far between now'days ,

space reboot 2 is pretty decent but a bit quirky and very hard at the start.
--
civ 4/king bounty/empire total war - but others have named them.

What about that Elven Legacy they just debuted on Steam?

Drakensang, new really good RPG.
By default it is configured to automatically take turns and you pause it by pressing space to make orders.
You can configure it to pause on each turn if you prefer.

Total War series (especially Rome, I heard Empire is somewhat broken at the mo')
Combat Mission: Barbarossa To Berlin
Combat Mission: Afrika Korps
Mount & Blade (isn't quite strategy but a fun find)
Steel Panthers (old school!)
Civilization series
Might and Magic series

stardock fucking rules....

if that is anything like galciv, it will be an insta-buy...

Like GalCiv, pre-order customers will have access to beta versions, starting in a couple months :) I beta tested the last GalCiv expansion (actually had a good idea that made the final cut :) ) and I'll be all over Elemental.

If you're willing to deal with old graphics... pick up Dai Senryaku VII for the PS2. It's also available for the XBOX, however the PS2 version has more to offer (such as reactive air-defenses, wider variety of equipment packages, etc)

Despite the name, it's not an import... I picked up my copy new from a local gamestop. No clue if they still stock it though.

Although, if anyone knows of anything I'd love to find something similar that's a bit more modern. :)

Oh, you might also look into Battle of Wesnoth. It's an open source TBS game that's pretty good. As it's free... there's nothing to lose in checking it out :)

semi-hijack -

what was that one game that was out like... 1998 - warlords or something.

march your army of griffins and things to different locations. raze buildings etc... was that it? Warlords?

*edit: just googled it. Warlords II it was. wow does that bring back memories.

/hijack

Disciples is great. Its a bit old but it is still awesome, can get the complete pack in the 9.99 small box bin at most stores.

I picked up the disciples II complete package from target a few months ago. to be honest I thought the game sucked. I played a couple of the campaigns all the way through to give the game a chance but, for me anyways this game was the pits and I would not recommend it - even for $9.99.

A game I much prefer is age of wonder ii/shadow magic. I didnt' bother to mention it above because it is very hard to find. Much better game imho. To be honest I prefer heroes ii and iii over disciples - not that they are the best game in the world - never played iv or v so no comments on them.

Disciples is great. Its a bit old but it is still awesome, can get the complete pack in the 9.99 small box bin at most stores.

Space Empires V, but this game is VERY big. You'll have to play it to understand. Also, the AI seems to suck. Lots. It's still a very fun space-based 4x game though.

I can't think of any others that haven't been mentioned. Nothing all that recent anyway.

Space Empires V, but this game is VERY big. You'll have to play it to understand. Also, the AI seems to suck. Lots. It's still a very fun space-based 4x game though.

I can't think of any others that haven't been mentioned. Nothing all that recent anyway.

All the space empires games were awesome in scale, but fell flat on AI. Just way too easy. The learning curve was figureing out how to use the interface not how to defeat the AI.

Like GalCiv, pre-order customers will have access to beta versions, starting in a couple months :) I beta tested the last GalCiv expansion (actually had a good idea that made the final cut :) ) and I'll be all over Elemental.

sounds great... you might be convincing me to preorder this game (i NEVER pre-order usually.... i find it retarded as hell 99% of the time, but for stardock, i can make my first exception for such a pro-customer, pro-gamer, independent studio...)

Semi-recently set out to find new turn based tactics/strategy games (need an updated FF Tactics or Vandal Hearts badly!) and discovered Silent Storm. Has some interesting game mechanics.

Age of Wonders is great, closest you can get to the classic Master of Magic

Heroes of Might and Magic 2 and 3 are the best of the series, Kings bounty and Heroes 5 are pretty close, more modern remakes.

As has been said, Gal Civ 2 from stardok is good.

I would reconmend Civ 4 too, especially some of the mods, like Fall from heaven 2, which has a bunch of story based scenario's, and is basically done, it compeltely rewrites the game into a magic based one.

Any of the Total Wars. The Lord of the Rings mod for Medieval 2 TW was just released a few days ago for Medieval 2 TW. Kicks ass.

Back