any game like diablo 2?

gamer0622

Weaksauce
Haven't played much pc action rpg latley. I have tried diablo 3 but wasn't too impressed. Are there any games like diablo 2 or games i should try no monthly subacription fees please.

D3 doesn't really open up until you hit 70. It gets a LOT more fun at that point.

Titan quest
grim dawn
adventures of van Helsing
path of exile

Torchlight 2? Possibly Path of Exile?

I don't know if PoE has subscription, never really tried it. I only TL2 with mods, and never online. I have basically started playing online games as single player as possible, D3 included, so I don't know how many D2-like online games are out there.

Titan quest is the closest to it that doesn't look like poo, but that is pretty old now as well. Torchlight is similar, but more cartoon-ish. Nothing will ever compare to D2, I tried too.

As a long time Poe player I would strongly advise against it. Though it is a good game, it lacks in certain areas and does wrong in certain others. For starters, yes, it is free to play. But, there is a catch here. A catch rarely anyone ever mentions. What is an arpg if anything you wield looks bland and repetitive? What is an arpg if any new armor you get looks like the last one? See, it is free to play, and the in app purchases are all cosmetic ones. Cosmetic ones may not make you more powerful or disrupt the game's balance for those who don't or can't pay, but it also kills a huge part of the game experience. And if you decide to buy some skins and stuff to spice things up, prepare for a shock. The prices are out of this world.

Instead, I would advise strongly in favor of Grim Dawn. I recently bought it and even though in early access it packs a ton of content, constant updates and a great skill tree. Plus the gear and loot are nicely scaled and make farming enjoyable. Good crafting system too.

Titan Quest and Sacred 2 Gold. Both are fantastic in co-op on a LAN!

I gave Torchlight my best effort, but I became bored really quickly.

I gave Torchlight my best effort, but I became bored really quickly.
Same here. I think I got as far as level ~40 in torchlight, and just never looked back. I gave T2 a try, and only got as far as level 5 or 6.

Dunno about D3. I gave up playing that game about a month after release, but I hear it's really good now with the ex-pack.

Grim Dawn is excellent, but I'm waiting for the full release of the game. I've had a blast playing the alpha or beta of the game earlier this year, and from the sound of it, it looks like they keep improving the game more and more, which I'm looking forward to.

Gauntlet also looks like a lot of fun, but I have yet to try that one.

Diablo 3 I heard is now pretty decent it looks killer
Grim Dawn is more like traditional Diablo but it's unfinished kinda afraid to play it since I don't know if my save will save.

Another for Grim Dawn. I cannot get enough of this game. I have my Soldier toon the underpass that I believe will take me from Act2 to the newly released Act3. Looking forward to what has been added.

PoE, Grim Dawn, Titan Quest as others have mentioned.

Marvel Heroes is pretty good, has actual D2 developers on the team, and the "feel" of the game is similar to D2, just in a much more all-ages friendly marvel world. The game was utter garbage at launch, but they've gotten much better and its pretty damn fun now. There are still some "wtf are they thinking" bugs that still linger, but that's SOP for game companies.

Path of Exile is the closest to Diablo II as you can get. It's F2P in the truest sense of the term, so there is no loss but time in trying it out. Just be aware that the game has big problems with server lag and desync that will never be fixed.

Titan Quest: Immortal Throne is the most fun and enjoyable, in my opinion. All the mechanics are solid with the community patch applied. It's also a real looker. Fine attention to detail throughout, with diverse equipment and exquisite landscapes. The same team is developing Grim Dawn right now and it's looking better every passing day.

Out of all the recent arpg's I've played recently, Grim Dawn has them all beat, and it's not even done yet!

As a long time Poe player I would strongly advise against it. Though it is a good game, it lacks in certain areas and does wrong in certain others. For starters, yes, it is free to play. But, there is a catch here. A catch rarely anyone ever mentions. What is an arpg if anything you wield looks bland and repetitive? What is an arpg if any new armor you get looks like the last one? See, it is free to play, and the in app purchases are all cosmetic ones. Cosmetic ones may not make you more powerful or disrupt the game's balance for those who don't or can't pay, but it also kills a huge part of the game experience. And if you decide to buy some skins and stuff to spice things up, prepare for a shock. The prices are out of this world.

So you're a "long time PoE player" and "it is a good game" but you would strongly advise against trying it because you can't play dress-up for free in addition to playing the game for free and getting free content updates? :rolleyes: There are many generic armors and weapons in the game, sure, but the uniques have custom artwork, just like in D2. And, of course, you can add sweet MTX effects like below, but there are plenty of awesome-looking skill effects like Herald of Thunder + Herald of Ash (pictured below):

9TxfYeb.png

Path of Exile is an excellent game and certainly worth a try. D3 is a very different type of game: D3 is what happens when you try to take D2, streamline the 'RPG' elements, and really pump up the 'action/beat-em-up' aspects of the ARPG genre. There's a lot of fun to be had playing D3 as you can get into some pretty crazy situations (see below), but it fizzled a bit for me once they really started focusing on designing 6-piece sets and making those the defacto endgame builds.

QLQ5Xzo.jpg

Grim Dark looks like it will be good fun; too bad there won't be a secured-servers environment for multiplayer.

There's plenty of problems with POE but MTX effects and armor art isn't one of them. (Pay2glow)

Desync, the terrible trade interface (or lack thereof), botters and constant build nerfs are at the top of the list. That and the fact that their engine runs horribly in parties (not that D3 fares much better), and that they still don't have a graphics programmer (their old one quit) means their engine won't be getting any performance upgrades... ever. Apparently their country bans hiring foreigners, and capable graphics programmers aren't exactly widespread.

The focus on Sets in D3 really makes me appreciate POE's stance on 'no set items ever' - because they really are toxic to build variety.

POE itself is fun up until about the beginning of Merciless, when you have to of been really lucky with drops or deal with the terrible trading. The gear requirements really ramp up at that point in terms of resists, armor and hp (otherwise you constantly die or your dps is terrible).

My biggest problem with the game, which is also one of the more interesting features is the skill socketing system. You have to put your active skills into gem slots in your gear, which can be linked together with up to 5 other sockets with support gems. The sockets also have colors which the gems have to match.

The power of a skill grows exponentially with the number of support gems you can cram on it and the entire endgame revolves around getting a 6 linked armor to put your main attack on. This results in you spamming 1 attack because it completely outclasses everything else in terms of damage.

It also has the unwanted side effect of while leveling you don't want to waste currency to adjust the number of sockets / links / colors on your items because you'll just replace it in a few levels, but at the same time around the start merciless your damage output will be too pathetic without 3-4 links. So a new player will often end up being stuck with a terrible item just because it has the correct colors / links for their build.

Torchlight 2 has fully mod support and Steam Workshop support. It animates very well, but the art style is too colorful to some. Solo it is truly a great ARPG in it's own right, and it's freaking awesome in a group!

There's plenty of problems with POE but MTX effects and armor art isn't one of them. (Pay2glow)

Desync, the terrible trade interface (or lack thereof), botters and constant build nerfs are at the top of the list. That and the fact that their engine runs horribly in parties (not that D3 fares much better), and that they still don't have a graphics programmer (their old one quit) means their engine won't be getting any performance upgrades... ever. Apparently their country bans hiring foreigners, and capable graphics programmers aren't exactly widespread.

The focus on Sets in D3 really makes me appreciate POE's stance on 'no set items ever' - because they really are toxic to build variety.

POE itself is fun up until about the beginning of Merciless, when you have to of been really lucky with drops or deal with the terrible trading. The gear requirements really ramp up at that point in terms of resists, armor and hp (otherwise you constantly die or your dps is terrible).

My biggest problem with the game, which is also one of the more interesting features is the skill socketing system. You have to put your active skills into gem slots in your gear, which can be linked together with up to 5 other sockets with support gems. The sockets also have colors which the gems have to match.

The power of a skill grows exponentially with the number of support gems you can cram on it and the entire endgame revolves around getting a 6 linked armor to put your main attack on. This results in you spamming 1 attack because it completely outclasses everything else in terms of damage.

It also has the unwanted side effect of while leveling you don't want to waste currency to adjust the number of sockets / links / colors on your items because you'll just replace it in a few levels, but at the same time around the start merciless your damage output will be too pathetic without 3-4 links. So a new player will often end up being stuck with a terrible item just because it has the correct colors / links for their build.

Don't know if you've played recently, but one thing they addressed awhile ago was access to 4-linked items: it's very easy to 4-link things now (usually a few fusing orbs at most). The addition of the various Forsaken Masters also added ways for players to control their items through crafting, including links, socket colors, mods, etc.

Lastly, http://poe.trade/ is a super-easy trading interface that allows players to find buyers/sellers. You can simply punch in the name of a unique item or search for other rarities by entering your desired stats. It's been a painless experience for me.

I must have just been playing Diablo 3 wrong as I never really got to anything different in any of my playthoughs. It's oddly addictive because it's mindless, but I never hit any point where anything really changed even with the newer modes and going beyond the level cap.

If you liked Diablo 2, give Titan Quest a shot.

I honestly couldn't get into diablo 3, I've tried, and tried. It's just not my thing, and too arcadey. I've been playing the shit out of path of exile since open beta and the game still hasn't let me down. If I trade or find something I want, I'll check poe.trade, if i want to try a custom build, leveling is easy, once you learn how the passive tree and gear checking works. It's not meant to be easy when you start, the game itself is MEANT to be hard for new players, but rewarding once you get the hang of it. Not to mention the TONS of resources for new players on the wiki, reddit, here, and and youtube. Give it a shot.

honestly , no game is like d2 , people try but the experience is crap

This! Ive been craving some D2 lately! Just needs some higher res textures and up display resolution to 1920x1200. The formula for that game is perfect, I remember having so many characters with specific skills/gear and items decked out! NOSTALGIA sets in -_-

Last edited:
+1
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing 1&2. Funniest diablo clones I have played.

Another I didnt see mentioned yet: Not exactly new, but dungeon siege 1&2

Grim Dawn question.
I see its till in early access. Should I play it now or wait? If I can load up my leveled up charter and use that as they keep adding new levels/worlds/acts I will grab it now. But if its core gameplay or bug squishing I would rather wait.

Last edited:
I'm not getting my hopes up for grim dawn. Seems like a relatively short campaign with no end game content. Maybe after an expansion or two.

I highly doubt that it'll be as good as torchlight 2. Nevermind D3.

Wastland 2 is good not a action top view more RPG but it's still a fun deep game.

I'm not getting my hopes up for grim dawn. Seems like a relatively short campaign with no end game content. Maybe after an expansion or two.

I highly doubt that it'll be as good as torchlight 2. Nevermind D3.

It isn't finished yet ... they are just now releasing the Act 3 content ... the latest feedback from the developers is they want to have Act 3 in 3 parts ... they are also planning at least one expansion ... Grim Dawn has more in common with Titan Quest than Torchlight (since it is the Titan Quest team that is developing it) ... I think if someone really likes TQ they will enjoy GD ... if they didn't like TQ then GD is likely to also disappoint

Definitely Path of Exile and/or Torchlight II.

Torchlight is actually made by some of the guys who worked on Diablo II. It feels great, but the cartoony aesthetic isn't for everyone.

Path of Exile captures the grim/dark/dank/eerie world that Diablo II had.

It isn't finished yet ... they are just now releasing the Act 3 content ... the latest feedback from the developers is they want to have Act 3 in 3 parts ... they are also planning at least one expansion ... Grim Dawn has more in common with Titan Quest than Torchlight (since it is the Titan Quest team that is developing it) ... I think if someone really likes TQ they will enjoy GD ... if they didn't like TQ then GD is likely to also disappoint

I liked TQ quite a bit. I just don't think that Grim dawn will have anywhere near as much content at launch from what I've been reading. It may be great if it does well after an expansion. Still not going to get my hopes up.

Definitely Path of Exile and/or Torchlight II.

Torchlight is actually made by some of the guys who worked on Diablo II. It feels great, but the cartoony aesthetic isn't for everyone.

Path of Exile captures the grim/dark/dank/eerie world that Diablo II had.

I couldn't get into PoE but really enjoyed TL2.

Back