Any Android people go to the iphone 5?

DoubleTap

2[H]4U
I'm probably going to get the Galaxy Note II when it comes out, but I've been considering going to the iphone too.

I would be interested in hearing from other people what their experience has been, especially people coming from a similar place:

1. I have never, in my life, purchased an Apple product (even though I used them in school since 1981 and I've used them here and there in other settings)

2. I have a Galaxy SII but I don't do custom roms or root it (I use it too much for work to mess around with it)

3. I use my phone to couch surf for news, read forums and other light web surfing while I watch the news.

4. Not interested in buying music or media from a locked in platform - I buy a lot of music from Amazon, and I have hundreds of my own CDs that I ripped a while back.

5. I do like a lot of pod casts which seem to be a lot easier on the iphone - currently I have to download the file and then move it around with a file manager - it's not hard, but it's not convenient either.

6. I play bluetooth audio through at least 4 devices including my car, a wireless speaker, my TV/Soundbar and my Jawbone - why do iphones often seem to need a bluetooth dongle - are they limited in their bluetooth capability?

7. I have a networked storage system that the Androids work very well with - I can upload my photos and videos right to a mirrored volume through wifi.

8. I work from home so battery and 4G/LTE are not big issues for me.

9. Not excited about installing itunes on my PC, but I can get over it.

10. I do have a Tivo through my cable company and I'm fairly sure I could stream shows to an iphone - that would be a big plus to stream the news or whatever while I'm working in my home office.

I have not had any major issues with my original Evo 4G (wife is using it) or my GS2, but it is annoying that the good stuff goes to ios first and a lot of the good programs on Android are limited to specific models. The overall idea of the Apple "lockin" kind of bugs me - I have tons of purchased programs on Android, but I don't even use most of them so it's not that big a loss.

TL DR:

Describe going from an Android to an iphone 5.

As far as I can tell, there isn't anything "locked" about iTunes anymore. The files used to be encrypted, but I don't think they are anymore. They play just fine in Windows Media Player. If I wanted an iPhone, I wouldn't let that stop me.

That said, I'm an iOS developer, and even I am seriously unimpressed with the new iPhone. I don't think I'd jump ship from Android unless there was some specific feature of iOS that I just had to have.

I use my phone for media and web (which so far every android device I've tried sucks at) I also have a large apple ecosystem (2x iPad, MBPr, and 1(soon 3) apple tvs, so for me the iPhone is a natural switch and is actually making my life easier. If your doing a lot of raw data crunching, you can't beat android, but if your looking for web and media, apple seems to have a much better setup (and arguably data crunching isn't *bad* on iOS since it does more with less hardware) as for the "locked" ecosystem, all my media (and I mean ALL comes from sources other than iTunes and discounting some subtitle/language issues (I'm a big fan of anime) I've had ZERO problems both with video and audio (though I did have to go through and fix the id3 tags on all my music - now I just add in the data as soon as I drop it into iTunes) anything else is fixed with jail breaking (but then you have to root an android device for some features, so...)

The only complaint I have is the screen size, android offers much larger screens, but if you need a bigger screen you just go to an iPad...

Not gotten my 5 in my paws yet so I can't compare battery life, but I hear it's good (and if you need more you can pick up a battery-case for around $20 from mono price iirc...)

currently Android, patiently waiting for Win8 phones. Consolidation is the future imo, why would anyone enslave themselves to a lock downed mobile OS like IOS right now?

so far android has been innovative and it evolution as a os is amazing . . neither apple or windows ever moved so fast , and so stable as android has . . am i moving to another platform hell no that's just backwards thinking at this point , I have a alot of apple mobile devices in my house and even though they are good what theyre built for IPAD "net browsing movies " Ipod Touch " Music I think they are way limited compared to android os

currently Android, patiently waiting for Win8 phones. Consolidation is the future imo, why would anyone enslave themselves to a lock downed mobile OS like IOS right now?

Purchased apps.

I honestly don't like the new iPhone 5 format. Just feels...strange with the screen length...

Currently on an iPhone 4 (before that the original iPhone), waiting impatiently for the next Nexus phone...

I use my Galaxy Nexus primarily for web surfing and texting and could not imagine going back to the iPhone. Jelly Bean is smooth and fast for me and using Chrome Beta on it makes web use almost like a desktop.

Incidentally, came from a S2 (ICS) on AT&T to Nexus (JB) on AT&T both stock, no rooting, no roms, both just running stock TW with Apex Launcher and the Nexus just is plain and simple faster in day-to-day use. Jelly Bean really is remarkable in day-to-day use and how your phone interacts with you switching between Chrome, texting, calls, etc. It just works with no lag.

I used the Nexus for a week as my primary phone and went back to the S2 and it did feel slower and you actually could notice lag when using it. Something I did not notice or feel until I used the Nexus running Jelly Bean. My work phone is a Razr Maxx and that is night and day slower than the Nexus and even slower than the S2 (battery lasts forever though so it does make a good work phone).

I've been an iPhone user since 2007, and I would say that if you are interested in a platform that, most of the time "just works," then it works great.

As far as music goes, I've bought music from Amazon, and their downloader will put it right into iTunes if you wanted it to, which makes it simple for importing to your phone.

Regarding your photo uploads with your network storage, as far as I know the iPhone can't do that by default, but if your network storage is a windows machine, or you have a windows machine attached to it, you can install Photo Stream on it, which will automatically import all the pictures you've taken as soon as they hit the stream.

Regarding battery, I've had my phone off the charger since 6:00 AM, using LTE since I got to work, and it's currently at 79% at 11:30 AM. It lasts me the day, just like my iphone 4.

Ultimately, you're locked in on any ecosystem you use because the apps will NEVER be cross-compatible.

Either way you go, you'll be well served. Each platform has it's compromises.

I'm moving from IOS to Android but my boss is going to the new iPhone5.

His main reasons are lack of supported updates on older devices, device degredation over time (responsiveness, glitches, etc.), and boredom. His phone is still running Gingerbread and he claims after about 6 months it started getting noticably more prone to glitches, unresponsiveness, and requireing reboots. Unfortunately, the phone never got an official update to ICS. The other issue he has is that he hates the Touchdown mail app that we have to use on Android if we want our corporate exchange email.

As for media, I love Android on my Touchpad. Compared to trying to get media on my iPhone 3GS.. it's a snap. A lot of my media is TV that I record and then re-encode into MKV. I prefer the MKV container over MP4 or MOV due to portability. They play fine on my SageTV extenders, my laptop using Media Player Classic, or my Touchpad just by dropping the files into the video folder. With my iPhone (or my new iPad), I have to re-encode them again to even get them into iTunes, let alone get them on my devices. Not to mention the media I get from other sources, which has all played flawlessly on my Touchpad via MX Player. However, I will give props to Air Video on my iPad and find myself using it more when at home because it can transcode any video file on my desktop in my office and stream it wirelessly to the iPad. Have yet to find something similar on Android :(

His main reasons are lack of supported updates on older devices, device degredation over time (responsiveness, glitches, etc.), and boredom. His phone is still running Gingerbread and he claims after about 6 months it started getting noticably more prone to glitches, unresponsiveness, and requireing reboots. Unfortunately, the phone never got an official update to ICS.

This. So much This. I've read several places that it's generally necessary to reformat an android phone every 6 months or so... Never had to reformat my old IPod Touch and had it for around 4 years (1st gen)

However, I will give props to Air Video on my iPad and find myself using it more when at home because it can transcode any video file on my desktop in my office and stream it wirelessly to the iPad. Have yet to find something similar on Android :(

Try Plex. It's pretty slick.

Anecdotally, from what I've both seen and read, it's generally that iPhone users move to Android if they do make a switch.

Android seems to either stick around or jump to WP.

People new to smartphones and/or leaving Blackberry often take on Apple first, but rarely will you hear people go from Android back to an iPhone.

Obivously, most those users are on sites where they're likely power users, but that's just the general trend I've seen

I'll give it a shot. Just found Emit today also. Of course I haven't gotten my new phone yet and I left my Touchpad at work yesterday... already going through withdrawal and I won't be back in the office to get it until Monday :(

the_real_7 said:
Ummmm who reloads a android every 6 months ,.I like to see this article

Yeah, my boss mentioned reformating/refreshing the device was a possibility, but I haven't seen any articles about needing to do this myself.

Of course it got me thinking, and I've been told that I'm wrong, but it seems like the IOS devices do this during upgrades anyways, which might be a reason users don't really see a slowdown or performance issues on them. I seem to remember the upgrade from IOS4 to IOS5 warning that all data would be wiped from the phone during the upgrade, which sounds like a format/refresh to me. Not sure if it still does that from IOS5 to 6, since I haven't made the jump on my old 3GS yet, and I wasn't paying attention when I upgraded my new iPad3 since it didn't have anything on yet.

However, I will give props to Air Video on my iPad and find myself using it more when at home because it can transcode any video file on my desktop in my office and stream it wirelessly to the iPad. Have yet to find something similar on Android :(

BubbleUPNP does this for Android. It's a bit harder to setup but once working it's flawless. I use it to stream movies and music from my XBMC to my GSII Skyrocket.

To the OP,

For your uses I would strongly consider the Note 2. 5.5" screen, quad core, 2 gigs or ram and it's running the lastest OS jellybean, and as others have said jellybean is bar far the best OS yet by Android. It's blasing fast and butter smooth and a HUGE step in the right direction for Android. I have the new ipad 3 running iOS 6 and Jellybean on my GSII is much much better.

Last edited:
I've still got a few months left on my Droid 3's contract -- *hate* -- but once it's up, I'm probably going iPhone 5. It all comes down to one thing: I want a flagship-caliber smartphone in a compact form-factor.

Barring a massive shift in the OEM landscape, all of the upcoming high-end phones are going to continue to be completely clown-shoes ridiculous. That means it's going to come down to a choice between the RAZR M and the iPhone 5 -- and I hate the look of AMOLED screens with a fiery passion.

Since I have no great emotional attachment to any particular smartphone OS, that makes it an easy decision for me.

I've still got a few months left on my Droid 3's contract -- *hate* -- but once it's up, I'm probably going iPhone 5. It all comes down to one thing: I want a flagship-caliber smartphone in a compact form-factor.

Barring a massive shift in the OEM landscape, all of the upcoming high-end phones are going to continue to be completely clown-shoes ridiculous. That means it's going to come down to a choice between the RAZR M and the iPhone 5 -- and I hate the look of AMOLED screens with a fiery passion.

Since I have no great emotional attachment to any particular smartphone OS, that makes it an easy decision for me.

That seems to be the iPhone 5's chief allure -- getting a truly high-end smartphone in a truly medium (or even a bit small) size. I see it as the HTC One S or RAZR M, fixed: faster, much better display, better cameras and more storage.

The Maps situation kinda sucks at present, but a shortcut to the web version of Google Maps covers the bases for me when I'm not driving. I also appreciate Tim Cook's candor in admitting that Apple Maps isn't where it needs to be -- that's not necessarily a sign that it'll be fixed in a few months, but you know there are people scrambling to get it up to snuff.

This is very anecdotal, but... I own 2 cell phone repair/sales outfits and just about everyone that comes in with an iPhone for screen repair seems to know very little about android. I have two different people last week ask me what kind of phone I personally use (galaxy nexus) then adopt a look of surprise and ask "you don't have a smart phone?" Apparently the iPhone is the only smart phone and the iPad Is the only tablet.

I have yet to have anyone come in with a gingerbread or later android and talk about switching to ios. I have talked to countless people who went from iPhone 3/3gs to modern ICS androids and love them to death.

Even personally I bought an iPhone 5 for my employees to practice screen replacement and having used it a fair amount it just seems like such a step backward , but if I didn't know any better or hadn't used the large screen devices...it might be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Rooted Galaxy Note here.....best phone I've had by miles.

Paired with Bluetooth remote/mouse/keyboard and using HDMI it's a mini full pc.

Overclocked with Tegrak to 1875mhz @ 1150mv it flies :D

This. So much This. I've read several places that it's generally necessary to reformat an android phone every 6 months or so... Never had to reformat my old IPod Touch and had it for around 4 years (1st gen)

Partly true and partly BS. I'm on my third Android phone and I've never had to reformat any of them. All of them tended to have some odd issues come up ever so often that would require a reboot, but I've had similar issues with every cell phone I've ever had, including the iPhone 4S. The truly frustrating part of being an Android owner is not knowing when, or if, your phone will receive an update. Shortly after I bought my Razr Maxx I got ICS. There were some great features, but the biggest downside was my battery life dropping from 3 days of charge time to 1 day (or a day and a half at most). Supposedly the phone is going to get Jelly Bean, but no one knows when that might be. Stinks having to wait around not knowing.

That aside, over the last year I used an iPhone 4, then a 4S and I can definitely say there was nothing about the iPhone that made me want it over my Android phone (aside from knowing immediately when an update is released whether the phone can be updated or not). The iPhone is a nice phone and if you're in that ecosystem, it's an obvious choice. For myself I'll continue on with Android, or possibly Windows Phone 8 depending on if MS actually fixes some of the problems that plague 7.5.

On Verizon there are two other options: HTC Droid Incredible 4G LTE and the HTC Rezound. Both are probably worse than the 5 though.

On Verizon there are two other options: HTC Droid Incredible 4G LTE and the HTC Rezound. Both are probably worse than the 5 though.

Rezound's bigger than I'd like, and I can't find any properly comprehensive (Anandtech-style) reviews. Incredible Yadda Yadda has that crap Sense skinning, and the data-related battery life is abysmal -- literally half of the iPhone's.

By the time your contract is up, the Droid Razr HD/Maxx will be out. Take a look at those - sure to be top end phones that will be kept up to date now that Google is in control (already promised Jellybean by the end of the year). It will be a big difference from your shitty experience with the Droid3 which was essentially abandoned by Motorola. (They will give you money for it by the way - $100 - if you buy another Motorola phone as a "I'm sorry")

4. Not interested in buying music or media from a locked in platform - I buy a lot of music from Amazon, and I have hundreds of my own CDs that I ripped a while back.

6. I play bluetooth audio through at least 4 devices including my car, a wireless speaker, my TV/Soundbar and my Jawbone - why do iphones often seem to need a bluetooth dongle - are they limited in their bluetooth capability?

7. I have a networked storage system that the Androids work very well with - I can upload my photos and videos right to a mirrored volume through wifi.

9. Not excited about installing itunes on my PC, but I can get over it.

4. Google Music is the best thing to happen to online music since the introduction of iTunes and online MP3 purchasing. You can buy from the Google Play store where it will show up in your GMusic for free (unlimited downloads with the Google Music Desktop app) If you want to add your own music, Google will store up to 20,000 songs for free and you can stream them/store them on your phone. Works flawlessly. The "offline" mode is key so that you are not constantly streaming.

The whole system is much better than Apple's walled garden IMO

6. Have never heard of this problem with iPhones

7. You'll be shit out of luck here with iPhone. Apple doesn't let any app fuck with its file system which means you won't be able to download/upload files. All you can do is "look" to see what's there.

9. iTunes does blow chunks but I'm pretty sure you can use an iPhone without it now but I could be wrong.

I use my Galaxy Nexus primarily for web surfing and texting and could not imagine going back to the iPhone. Jelly Bean is smooth and fast for me and using Chrome Beta on it makes web use almost like a desktop.

Chrome for Android has been out of beta since June. Might want to update. ;)

+1 - absolutely amazing media storage/playing software

I'm moving from IOS to Android but my boss is going to the new iPhone5.

His main reasons are lack of supported updates on older devices, device degredation over time (responsiveness, glitches, etc.), and boredom. His phone is still running Gingerbread and he claims after about 6 months it started getting noticably more prone to glitches, unresponsiveness, and requireing reboots. Unfortunately, the phone never got an official update to ICS. The other issue he has is that he hates the Touchdown mail app that we have to use on Android if we want our corporate exchange email.

This was definitely true on devices from 2009-late 2011. However, I think this problem is now to a much lesser degree. Since the introduction of ICS, most devices I've used have been very stable. Jellybean adds smoothness on top of that.

I went from iphone to android.

Don't see the point in going back. iOS is too restrictive. Sure you can jailbreak, but whats the point when an android comes out of the box like that.

When buying a phone, its all about your preference and what you want. the iPhone is a great device, as is other smart phones. So just get one you like and where you are comfortable using. I chose to go android because it fits my work and social habits. If you are dazzled by the iPhone interface, then go for it. It is definitely smoother than the android. They seem to put more emphasis on 'smooth' than other things.

Like one of the above poster, having a large apple ecosystem invariably means getting an iphone to match it. It's just much easier that way.

TL;DR - Get a phone you are comfortable with, not one based on the social implications. Top tier android phones and iPhone 5 (and windows phones..) are all great phones!

(except you dont get shitty maps with other phones.. wahahahha)

The GSM unlocked Nexus from the Play Store running CM10 Nightly and Lean kernel is the best phone right now in my opinion, especially if you use it on pre-paid plans like Straight Talk for $45/month, can't be beat for the price.

And when the Nexus 5 comes out in November / December, LOL at iPhone5.

The GSM unlocked Nexus from the Play Store running CM10 Nightly and Lean kernel is the best phone right now in my opinion, especially if you use it on pre-paid plans like Straight Talk for $45/month, can't be beat for the price.

And when the Nexus 5 comes out in November / December, LOL at iPhone5.

In my opinion, any Gnex running AOKP JB, leankernel, inverted Google Apps, newest radios, and TWRP recovery is the best Gnex. :D

But yeah, the Galaxy Nexus is the best phone on the market. And I will be all over the Nexus 5 if it materializes. I tried a GSIII for a couple days, and promptly returned it. Nexus or nothing.

What settings do you have lean kernel on ? Interactive ?

And are there color tweaks or options with this kernel ? If so how do I adjust them ?

Thanks, I flashed the latest Lean kernel v4.3.0, and already have that terminal emulator installed from my ROM. Now I downloaded v16.0 kernel tweaks. Do I just flash that in Recovery, and that's it ? Or do I need to open up the emulator and code it in there ?

Just flash Leantweaks in recovery, then reboot. Then open your Terminal emulator and type:

Code:
su 
leantweaks

Then pick "2" for the optimized settings. Once done, choose to remount and close or whatever. The optimized settings will stick even when you upgrade to the latest version of Leankernel. If you flash a new rom though, you'll have to reapply them.

Just flash Leantweaks in recovery, then reboot. Then open your Terminal emulator and type:

Code:
su 
leantweaks

Then pick "2" for the optimized settings. Once done, choose to remount and close or whatever. The optimized settings will stick even when you upgrade to the latest version of Leankernel. If you flash a new rom though, you'll have to reapply them.

You da man :) So I went through all of that, pressed 2, then had the option to press 1 to set at reboot, I typed 1, and then exited the emulator, and rebooting now. So I should be all set now after rebooting ?

You da man :) So I went through all of that, pressed 2, then had the option to press 1 to set at reboot, I typed 1, and then exited the emulator, and rebooting now. So I should be all set now after rebooting ?

Yep, the optimized settings should be in place. I'm a heavy user, but I'm getting good battery life and smooth performance. A light user could see some really good battery life I'm thinking. And if you like "dark" themes and want even more battery life, you might want to check these out.

Back