AntiVir Personal Free edition - pop-up ad wtf?

Motley

2[H]4U
OK, from everyone's recommendation on here, I just started using AntiVir Personal Edition Free. I keep getting this pop-up asking me to upgrade wtf? Bugging the hell out of me.

I actually like Avast, might go back to that if this advertising doesn't stop.

Ya thats just anoying as hell. I got rid of it, and went back to Avast, I like it works great.

Slow definition updates? Once a day.

Use the link from #2. Also, Avira with the popup is still unquestionably better than AVG or Avast.

So someone offers a kick ass product for free, and we want to bypass what makes it free. Don't like the pop-ups uninstall it and go with an inferior product, or pay for it. . .

So someone offers a kick ass product for free, and we want to bypass what makes it free. Don't like the pop-ups uninstall it and go with an inferior product, or pay for it. . .

Personally the popups don't bother me or the dozen people I've installed it for.

QFT.

Pay for it or uninstall it. It's free and works very well, we should be so lucky.

I got sick of the pop up, so I nuked it and went back to AVG. Take your damn pop ups elsewhere Avira.

Easy to remove the popup if you need (takes but a few seconds of your time). But AntiVir is hands and feet above AVG and Avast in protection, has been for a long time, not to mention many many times lighter on your system.

you damn whipper snappers complain too much! in my days we had pop-ups that covered your whole screen for days and if you removed them the gestapo would come and shoot your whole family... haha anyways the pop-ups are just when you get an update or something what's so annoying about that? man i don't even notice them anymore and hell yeah avira kicks avg's and avast ass together.

Yeah, the popups are a bit annoying but I don't really care. It's only one extra click a day to get rid of it so I think I can manage that, lol.

you damn whipper snappers complain too much! in my days we had pop-ups that covered your whole screen for days and if you removed them the gestapo would come and shoot your whole family...

Didn't have no telephone, didn't have no fax machine. All we had was a couple cans and a crummy piece of string.

That's exactly what I did. Anyone want to specifically describe what/why exactly is Antivir a superior product than Avast. Enough to deal with a pop up ad, thats stupid! Not when I have Avast for FREE with NO POPUP ADS!

Anyone want to specifically describe what/why exactly is Antivir a superior product than Avast.

There's a link provided already...up above, it points to http://www.av-comparatives.org/
AntiVir has been above AVG and Avast for a loooong time. Lately it has even steadily been beating the traditional top dogs....NOD32 and Kaspersky.

AV-Comparatives is widely regarded as the most unbiased trustworthy "real world" antivirus testing site.

Many malware removal sites recommend using AntiVir in combination with other removal tools to clean up computers.

In addition to superior detection, it is substantially lighter on your system than the other free AV products.

I use Avira free and find it works very well. Its resources are pretty light. I like it better than AVG 8.0. I like AVG 7.5 over 8.0. My problem with AVG 8.0 is its inability to update itself. It constantly fails to connect to the server, so I have to constantly do a manual update.
The nag pop up screen is a tired excuse. I turned off the nag screen without any issue. Here's the instructions for all your Windows versions...

http://www.elitekiller.com/files/disable_antivir_nag.htm

I use Avira free and find it works very well. Its resources are pretty light. I like it better than AVG 8.0. I like AVG 7.5 over 8.0. My problem with AVG 8.0 is its inability to update itself. It constantly fails to connect to the server, so I have to constantly do a manual update.

Wrong. Go into Tool / Advanced Settings / Schedules for both virus and program updates and check *Run update as soon as internet connection is available*

honestly its a free program you shouldn't even tweak it to not give the pop up. if it annoys you that much, man up and spend 29 bucks for Nod32 OEM off Newegg.

Wrong. Go into Tool / Advanced Settings / Schedules for both virus and program updates and check *Run update as soon as internet connection is available*

Thats how its set up on my machine and its a work computer, so its never turned off. However the problem could be the crappy Charter ISP we have at work. :)

Avira is very light on system resources and has a very high detection rate. It reports some false positives, but many of them do. With Vista 64 it uses 2 processes, one at 12 megs, and another at about 1.5 megs. Thats even less then NOD32 on my other XP machine.

Whatever popup you are talking about I don't get. I must have disabled it long ago as I have been running it since July of 07 on this machine.

Best thing about this is its free. Free and works great. Can't beat that.

The popup coming up does not make them money if you're not going to buy it. It advertises their product - it does not advertise for other people and make them money just for displaying. It makes no difference if you hide it or not.

Back