Anti-virus software

Ayoralyn

Limp Gawd
Any suggestions?

I'm a fairly causious guy when it comes to surfing, so I very rarely visit sites that aren't trusted or just looks the least suspicious. But That's not always enough. Right now I'm using the MSE. But I was wondering what you guys would recommend I get? I wouldn't mind paying for it, so hit me with whatever you think is the best out there, and why. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I use NOD32 at work and for home I have always been a big fan of Avira. I tried MSE for a few months and one day while it was doing an update i got some kind of virus. It was one of those ones that can escape the sandbox or leaks out during the update or whatever. I have never used it since.

http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus

Using Security Essentials for about 2 years or so now, very happy with it. Even got the boss at work to switch to it after Norton Corporate left us with infected end user machines weekly, haven't had an infection since.

Using Security Essentials for about 2 years or so now, very happy with it. Even got the boss at work to switch to it after Norton Corporate left us with infected end user machines weekly, haven't had an infection since.

Agree, :) good software! Run it on my servers & desktops.

hope you have less than 10 computers otherwise you are breaking the EULA.

Same answer as every other "same question" post that show up about once every 2 weeks....MSE for home/small jobs. For business setups, larger networks, Eset NOD32 on the rigs, and many clients also have Kaspersky at the gateway via Untangle.

I recommend you Avira or Avast, both are good antivirus software for family use.

I use Kaspersky via untangle on my home router + MSE & Malwarebytes on each workstation.
Can't be too careful. :)

Mse is crap with script malware. Infact most free ware ones are. That's the malware coming through your browser exploits and infecting your pc btw.
Run malware bytes pro alongside it. It complements a antivirus very well as its speciality is website blocking and blocking such threads

http://www.avast.com/index

+

http://www.abelhadigital.com/hostsman

=

mzi.mcwfbstw.175x175-75.jpg

Microsoft Security Essentials

I just tried this today with my new PC.. wow, it was totally giving me random hiccups in performance and freezing firefox for a few seconds every time I tried downloading anything (even when I turned the download scanning off).

ask toolbar is legit and is not scrapware. It installs it so does a 100 other apps. It doesn't let Avira perform any worse nor does it do anything else other than installing a toolbar which you can just uninstall afterwards..

The Ask Bar has a long history of causing programs...you can go Google it. Most malware cleaning programs will find files from it, and remove it. There's a clue!
Even on Microsofts tech forums it's labeled as malware
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-malware/0be56e80-41a2-4b31-a17f-ed34a19fde1f

And if you want AntiVir to install the web guard protection...you have to allow the Ask bar to install and become your primary search engine and have it shove a crappy BHO in your browser.

But it's the UniBlue stuff that is REALLY scarey.
Avira used to detect UniBlue files as malware..and clean them. Most other anti malware programs detect and remove UniBlue stuff. AntiVir is now bundling UniBlue stuff with their free AV, and naturally it's whitelisted by AntiVir.

The Ask Bar has a long history of causing programs...you can go Google it. Most malware cleaning programs will find files from it, and remove it. There's a clue!
Even on Microsofts tech forums it's labeled as malware
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-malware/0be56e80-41a2-4b31-a17f-ed34a19fde1f

And if you want AntiVir to install the web guard protection...you have to allow the Ask bar to install and become your primary search engine and have it shove a crappy BHO in your browser.

But it's the UniBlue stuff that is REALLY scarey.
Avira used to detect UniBlue files as malware..and clean them. Most other anti malware programs detect and remove UniBlue stuff. AntiVir is now bundling UniBlue stuff with their free AV, and naturally it's whitelisted by AntiVir.
Yes you have to install it no it does not have to stay installed.
Since you haven't tried it you wouldn't know.Ask toolbar is bloatware or nagware as they call it.

Since you haven't tried it you wouldn't know.Ask toolbar is bloatware or nagware as they call it.

Have spent many years in IT cleaning up workstations and have troubleshot browser issues from every angle there is. Do some reading on it....it's even on Microsofts site regarding issues stemming from its BHO crap. And again...other very good and trusted anti-malware programs scrub up files that it puts in your system. WHY IS THAT????????? Hmmmm....ding ding ding!!!

And ask bar..again, read. NO you don't have to install it unless you want the browser protection of antivir...in which case you install it. But again..READ...if you UNINSTALL it...you browser protection also disappears.

And the bigger issue...UniBlue...and crap like "registry booster"..which is nasty to uninstall once it's on your system. Your loved trusted AntiVir WHITELISTS that crap and lets it right through!!!!! Hello? Alarms anyone? You install an antivirus program to protect your system..and it allows one of the bigger malware vendors (UniBlue) to have full rape of your system? McFly!!!

Have spent many years in IT cleaning up workstations and have troubleshot browser issues from every angle there is. Do some reading on it....it's even on Microsofts site regarding issues stemming from its BHO crap. And again...other very good and trusted anti-malware programs scrub up files that it puts in your system. WHY IS THAT????????? Hmmmm....ding ding ding!!!

And ask bar..again, read. NO you don't have to install it unless you want the browser protection of antivir...in which case you install it. But again..READ...if you UNINSTALL it...you browser protection also disappears.

And the bigger issue...UniBlue...and crap like "registry booster"..which is nasty to uninstall once it's on your system. Your loved trusted AntiVir WHITELISTS that crap and lets it right through!!!!! Hello? Alarms anyone? You install an antivirus program to protect your system..and it allows one of the bigger malware vendors (UniBlue) to have full rape of your system? McFly!!!

FAQ Avira SearchFree Toolbar
Did Avira flag Ask.com Toolbar in the past as ad- and spyware?
"Yes, in at least one instance in the past, Avira AntiVir has flagged the Ask.com toolbar as possible adware/spyware ('ADSPY' detection). At the time, the Ask.com toolbar was part of programs which have been known for adware. This situation led to the flagging of Ask.com toolbar."

Sascha Beyer,
COO Products & Services

Why did you choose to include the Ask.com’s toolbar in Service Pack 2?
Avira‟s new SearchFree Toolbar upgrades your free virus scanner to include WebGuard protected browsing and search, which prevents drive-by downloads and other infections picked up from hacked websites. No matter where the web takes you, any search typed into the SearchFree Toolbar is protected by Avira‟s WebGuard defences against phishing and spyware.

Avira chose Ask.com to be our partner in bringing you the SearchFree Toolbar because ask.com is one of many vendors whose products offer functionality which we believe our users will value:

- The toolbar upgrades your Avira Personal Free AntiVirus product to include the AntiVir WebGuard component which is normally available only for the paid products.
- Keep your security current. The toolbar‟s status indicator provides real-time confirmation that WebGuard is activated and that your Avira software is up-to-date.

TOOLBAR INSTALLATION QUESTIONS:

Overall: http://about.ask.com/apn/toolbar/docs/de…n/ff/index.html

What does the Avira toolbar feature do for me? Where will I see it?
Find info here:

http://www.avira.com/safesearch-toolbar

Am I required to install the Avira toolbar as part of Service Pack 2 upgrade?
No. Avira SearchFree Toolbar is an optional add-on. But with the toolbar you get WebGuard.

How do I install the Avira SearchFree Toolbar?
The easiest way is to wait for your Avira software to prompt you to install via a notice that slides up from your system tray. Just click the „Install Now‟ button. Click here for details.

If you missed the prompt, you can always install it yourself later by going to Add/remove Programs (Windows XP) or Programs and Features (Vista and Windows 7) in your computer control panel. You can find complete, illustrated instructions here.

Can I get WebGuard protection without installing the SearchFree Toolbar?
Yes, you can buy WebGuard as part of Avira AntiVir Premium and Avira AntiVir Premium Security Suite.

Will the Avira toolbar work with any browser?
Avira SearchFree Toolbar works (only) with Internet Explorer and Firefox browsers. See complete system requirements here:

http://www.avira.com/safesearch-toolbar

Can I uninstall the toolbar if it turns out I don’t like it?
Yes, you can uninstall at any time. But be aware that uninstalling the toolbar will cause WebGuard to be uninstalled also. Find complete uninstall instructions here:

http://www.tt.avira.com/en/support-for-f…etail?faqid=863

If I don’t install the WebGuard component, am I not protected enough with Avira Free version?
Most of the threats nowadays come from the internet. So being protected here is very important.

OPERATIONS QUESTIONS:

Will I now get advertisements or promotions via the toolbar?
No. The toolbar is a useful feature, not a marketing gimmick.

Will the Avira toolbar remember my search history?
You have full power to configure if, or for how long, the toolbar will remember your search history.

How can I delete my search history?
To clear your search history from the drop-down text box in the Toolbar, click on the ”Options” icon to open the drop-down menu. Select the "Clear History" option. This will clear all the previous searches from the search drop-down box.

Is the Avira toolbar spyware?
NO! We are completely "spyware" free. Period! Our Toolbar was specifically designed to provide a great user experience that is free of spyware. We do NOT require you to provide any personal information. No email address, registration or other information is
required to use the product.

For more information, see also Ask.com‟s privacy policy here:

http://sp.ask.com/en/docs/about/privacy.shtml

Will Avira or Ask.com collect information about my searches?
See Ask.com‟s privacy policy here: http://sp.ask.com/en/docs/about/privacy.shtml

Will the Avira toolbar reset my browser’s default home page?
No. However, if you want to make Ask.com your browser‟s default home page you can select this option during the installation.

Can I add the Avira SearchFree Toolbar if I already have another toolbar installed?
Yes, in most cases it is possible to have more than one toolbar installed in your browser. Bear in mind that having another toolbar reduces the amount of space available to view sites. Unexpected compatibility issues between toolbars may also affect the
performance of your browser.

Does the toolbar include a pop-up blocker?
No, most installations of Internet Explorer and Firefox are already equipped with pop-up blocking, so it was not necessary to include this functionality in our toolbar.

I’ve heard that some toolbars contain malware. Shouldn’t I play it safe and avoid toolbars altogether?
No other functions beside those advertised are included in the toolbar. Malware programmers have been known to lure unsuspecting users with the convenience of toolbar search functionality. Like other malware, these fake toolbars collect users‟ private information and often install other hidden programs that make the computer slow and unstable.

The search component of the Avira SearchFree Toolbar was developed using technology from Ask.com. To learn about our commitment to users‟ privacy, please refer to our privacy policy and the privacy policy of Ask.com.

I have installed the Avira SearchFree Toolbar. Why can’t I see it?
Here are two possible reasons your toolbar may not be visible:

1. You are not using Internet Explorer or Firefox. If you are surfing in another browser (e.g., Chrome, Safari or Opera), you will not see the toolbar.
2. Your browser is not set to show certain toolbars. If you are using Internet Explorer, go to View --> Toolbars (Tools --> Toolbars in IE7) and make sure there is a check mark next to Avira SearchFree Toolbar. If you are using Firefox, go to Tools --> Add-Ons --> Extensions and make sure the Avira SearchFree Toolbar is enabled.

How do I uninstall the Avira SearchFree Toolbar?
Please note that uninstalling the toolbar will also uninstall the WebGuard component from your free antivirus product. Without WebGuard functionality, the sites you visit will not be screened for malware before you access them.

However, if you are uninstalling the toolbar because you have upgraded to one of our premium products, WebGuard will not be affected. If you still wish to uninstall the toolbar, step-by-step instructions are provided here.
Global Service Strategy Team

Freundliche Gruesse / Best regards
Avira GmbH

Es werden keine unangeforderten Supportanfragen per PN beantwortet. Bitte nutzen Sie den ihrem Produkt entsprechenden Bereich im Forum.
There is no support for unsolicited PM requests available. Please use the board section which accords to your product.

http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=133751

No need to get upset

Back