Anti-Sony Hackers Attacking Employee Families and Children?

Phone companies are about to start cracking down on people who jailbreak their phones as well. If you're going to access someone's network, they have the right to only allow you to do it from an approved device. At the very least, I feel companies are justified in revoking warranty support for people who have failed jailbreaking/softmodding their hardware, and if there ever becomes an issue with network stability/cheating/what have you, ban them from accessing the network as well.

The anti Sony arguments don't make any sense to me. It seems like there are a few rational approaches to dealing with Sony.

1) Don't buy a PS3. Tell all your friends not to buy a PS3.
2) If you're complaining about Other OS, you must own a Phat PS3. Why did you update the firmware? They made it very clear when updating. Run homebrew there, k?
3) Take your PS3 off the network and run 'homebrew' locally only. When game developers continue to require their games to run the latest firmware (to avoid cheating and what not), decide whether or not it's worth running the hamster wheel of firmware updating/jailbreaking to keep up with current games.

I just don't see who's being terribly disenfranchised here. If you distribute proprietary encryption codes, you will be sued. If you jailbreak, most companies don't care about individuals, but they'd like to keep it to a minimum if they can. I would much rather developers continue to spend their resources on game development instead of anti hacking measures, and the same with Sony's firmware development team.

Maybe there's a good reason why people need/deserve to be able to play the latest games online while also running 'homebrew', but I don't see it.

If Sony were charging for the service it would be a big deal......but I guess it only serves to discredit any sense of security the PSN had.

Wonder if they could accomplish the same on XBL?

What do you have against having a Live Gold membership? You do realize you can still have a free Silver membership right?

Also I'd like to point out that when the company of your beloved hardware attached to the internet irks a group like Anonymous, the end result is that they're going to be attacked on all fronts. For Sony that includes PSN. They are out to hurt Sony. Yes it sucks that consumers like you get caught in the crossfire, but keep in mind, a group like Anonymous just doesn't throw darts at a board to find someone to pick on today. I'll say Sony started it first by pulling a bait and switch, then getting mad when someone comes along to restore what was originally promised. Yet you are mad at Anonymous just because you can't get online, because it "ruined your experience"? Didn't Sony technically already start ruining your experience a long time ago when they started removing features?

I have a problem with Live Gold because it does not justify its value. My 360 is forced to remain essentially single player because of it. I am not paying $60 a year for the "privilege" of playing with my friends that I can do so anywhere else free.

First, my ps3 is not beloved hardware. It is just one of many consoles in my house. Yes I am irritated at the removal of features and the fact that I am forced to maintain one ps3 offline to fully use it. However there is a time where two wrongs don't make a right. This is one of those times. Anon targeting the PSN is not helping their cause one bit. There are other better ways to go about this.

Phone companies are about to start cracking down on people who jailbreak their phones as well. If you're going to access someone's network, they have the right to only allow you to do it from an approved device. At the very least, I feel companies are justified in revoking warranty support for people who have failed jailbreaking/softmodding their hardware, and if there ever becomes an issue with network stability/cheating/what have you, ban them from accessing the network as well.

The anti Sony arguments don't make any sense to me. It seems like there are a few rational approaches to dealing with Sony.

1) Don't buy a PS3. Tell all your friends not to buy a PS3.
2) If you're complaining about Other OS, you must own a Phat PS3. Why did you update the firmware? They made it very clear when updating. Run homebrew there, k?
3) Take your PS3 off the network and run 'homebrew' locally only. When game developers continue to require their games to run the latest firmware (to avoid cheating and what not), decide whether or not it's worth running the hamster wheel of firmware updating/jailbreaking to keep up with current games.

I just don't see who's being terribly disenfranchised here. If you distribute proprietary encryption codes, you will be sued. If you jailbreak, most companies don't care about individuals, but they'd like to keep it to a minimum if they can. I would much rather developers continue to spend their resources on game development instead of anti hacking measures, and the same with Sony's firmware development team.

Maybe there's a good reason why people need/deserve to be able to play the latest games online while also running 'homebrew', but I don't see it.

See my above response on the other OS feature among other things. I shouldn't be "required" to keep one offline just to use a feature I paid for.

If you're going to access someone's network, they have the right to only allow you to do it from an approved device. At the very least, I feel companies are justified in revoking warranty support for people who have failed jailbreaking/softmodding their hardware, and if there ever becomes an issue with network stability/cheating/what have you, ban them from accessing the network as well.
I agree, kick them off the network...except that's not what Sony is pursuing. They want to negate all consumer rights to their product just because they said so in their EULA.

If you distribute proprietary encryption codes, you will be sued.

Challenges to the posting of the AACS encryption key have fizzled. Challenges to the posting of the PS3 encryption key will have the same outcome.

If Sony wants to preserve a trade secret, they need to get better at it. Coca-cola has managed to keep their formula a secret for over a century. Sony failed so badly that they only made it four years before someone figured it out.

Honestly it is a very important thing for future of the idea of 'ownership'. This ruling in favor of Sony will basically say you don't own something you purchase....

How is this about ownership? My assumption is that you believe Sony does not allow you to modify a device that you have purchased and legally own. However in you can modify the device all you want, you just can't expect to connect to Sony's network on your modified device. If you think that you should be able to modify your device and still participate in Sony's online services, then I recommend you try modifying the numbers on a lottery ticket and turning it in. See how they feel about you using their services after modifying something you 'own'.

I am in agreement that Anonymous' attack will do nothing to help their 'cause'. All it does is piss me off when I can't log into PSN. I've never pirated a console game and have no interest in it. Game companies spend a ton of money to make a game and then i can decide whether or not I want to spend my money on it.

My perception of Anonymous is that they are an anarchist - pirate group who's gotten their panties in a bunch after Sony took steps to prevent pirating. Boo-hoo for them. I presume they know these types of actions have the potential of being considered economic terrorism and they are prepared to deal with any consequences if they're eventually tracked down.

I am in agreement that Anonymous' attack will do nothing to help their 'cause'. All it does is piss me off when I can't log into PSN. I've never pirated a console game and have no interest in it. Game companies spend a ton of money to make a game and then i can decide whether or not I want to spend my money on it.

My perception of Anonymous is that they are an anarchist - pirate group who's gotten their panties in a bunch after Sony took steps to prevent pirating. Boo-hoo for them. I presume they know these types of actions have the potential of being considered economic terrorism and they are prepared to deal with any consequences if they're eventually tracked down.

What about the fact that the firmware hack allowed for the use of homebrew applications? If it wasnt for the homebrew community my psp would be even more a pile of shit than it is.... at least i can play nes and snes games on it, which are more fun than the psp games made for the system:rolleyes:

i for one would like to see something good come out of this and people start going back to pc games, since psn is down.... i know thats wishful thinking.......

Has anyone here ever used Other OS honestly? I run Linux on several machines and it never made sense why you would take a power hungry device like a PS3 and do something that could better be done on any old PC you have lying around or a WDTV/Roku box.

It kind of sucks that's Other OS is disabled and you have to choose between playing newer games and Netflix, or running Other OS. But it kind of sucks that I can't play Phantasy Star Online on my Dreamcast online any more, or use my Motorola Dynatac phone on Verizon's network. New features are added, older ones are sometimes removed, it's just the way things work.

People didn't go to these lengths when backward compatibility was removed as a feature from the PS3? That's a feature far more people would actually use. People realized it sucked, bought a 60gb or didn't, and moved on. And as best I could tell, the reason why backward compatibility was removed was purely to save Sony money. That's a far more greedy-corporate-fat-cat-who-i-loathe-deeply reason than with Other OS, where there was perhaps a legitimate case that its existence was contributing to the efforts to break down the firmware's protection.

The major reason this is a big deal to people is because they want free games or to be a l33t MW2 hacker. If this was really about homebrew, or whatever, someone would realize that other companies are going to look to Sony as an example -- throw the homebrew community a bone by including Other OS for years, and this is what you get.

The major reason this is a big deal to people is because they want free games or to be a l33t MW2 hacker. If this was really about homebrew, or whatever, someone would realize that other companies are going to look to Sony as an example -- throw the homebrew community a bone by including Other OS for years, and this is what you get.
Huh, I thought it was about, you know, not being a convicted felon because you didn't fulfill some terms of the EULA. Sony can kick cheaters off PSN if they want to, but giving them the ability to start banning people IRL is a bit too much.

How is this about ownership? My assumption is that you believe Sony does not allow you to modify a device that you have purchased and legally own. However in you can modify the device all you want, you just can't expect to connect to Sony's network on your modified device. If you think that you should be able to modify your device and still participate in Sony's online services, then I recommend you try modifying the numbers on a lottery ticket and turning it in. See how they feel about you using their services after modifying something you 'own'.
Who said anything about connecting to their shitty network? People just want to modify their consoles, and not get Ninja lawyers after you. If Sony is going after the people who create these hacks, then they obviously wanna control "YOUR" hardware. The question is, are we buying or renting? It's "MY" hardware, and I'll do what I want with it.

I am in agreement that Anonymous' attack will do nothing to help their 'cause'. All it does is piss me off when I can't log into PSN.
If customers aren't able to connect to the PSN, then PS3 customers won't be happy. Then PS3 owners will switch to Xbox 360 or PC, and avoid it.

It hurts Sony in the one place they care about, and it's their pocket. Who even goes to www.sony.com anyway, unless it's for warranty reasons?

What about the fact that the firmware hack allowed for the use of homebrew applications? If it wasnt for the homebrew community my psp would be even more a pile of shit than it is.... at least i can play nes and snes games on it, which are more fun than the psp games made for the system:rolleyes:
I thought I was the only one doing this. I got the PSP, and only played a few games. I thought, it was a shitty library of remade PS2 games.

With a modded PSP, I can play all my Genesis, SNES, and PSX games on it perfectly fine. Course, now my cell phone does this, and the PSP is back to being shit.

i for one would like to see something good come out of this and people start going back to pc games, since psn is down.... i know thats wishful thinking.......
On the PC, all your eggs aren't in one basket. Each game has it's own network. Well, except maybe for Steam games.

whats all this hatred towards Sony? Are you kidding me?
Root kits.
#1 Suing hacker.
#2 Sony used mis-information, and threats to game retailers to subsequently kill the Sega dream cast.
#3 Remember Bleem!? They bought and killed that.
#4 PSP Go was a huge waste of money, since it can't play UMD discs.

Most of all, for creating this disturbing commercial.

And as best I could tell, the reason why backward compatibility was removed was purely to save Sony money.

Id say it was Sony's decision not to allow people to play old game on new machine, forcing you to buy new games to play on it. I call that out right greed. If Sony respected you as a customer and not a cash cow, you could have had backward compatibility.

Originally Posted by oRdchaos View Post
"And as best I could tell, the reason why backward compatibility was removed was purely to save Sony money."
Forgot to mention the guys who er upgraded their PS3 proved that it was compatible. Hope I got that one right.:)

Id say it was Sony's decision not to allow people to play old game on new machine, forcing you to buy new games to play on it. I call that out right greed. If Sony respected you as a customer and not a cash cow, you could have had backward compatibility.

Completely logical argument. Seriously, everyone knows you buy next-gen hardware to play last-gen games. Why, I'm sure there's at least 0.003% of ps3 phat gamers who own a PS3 and 0 PS3 games. Using it solely as a PS2 emulation device and whom only play PS2 games.

Clearly, Sony was jealous of those 0.003% not purchasing any ps3 games allowing them to recover their loss-of-profit on manufacturing costs of the ps3 phat and enraged by the choice of this extremely small population, decided to forever remove backward compatability. This of course, had nothing to do with the fact that they were losing money on every ps3 made and attempting to reduce hardware costs so they at least broke-even on hardware costs or ideally made money(See: Wii).

There's a bit of difference between respecting customers and losing money on all hardware sold to the point that your giving billions of dollars; at some point, you have to draw a bottom line. I think this might be the point for most companies:

http://kotaku.com/#!5018899/sony-lost-over-3-billion-to-ps3-cost-pricing-imbalance

In just two years, while the ps3 was out with backward compatiblity, Sony lost more than 3 billion dollars. Even to a large company like Sony, that was a LOT of money.

Can you imagine Microsoft just burning away 4 billion dollars solely to continue to support the xbox 1 support well into the xbox 360 lifetime? Hardly. Microsoft dropped support for the original xbox so fast, you could hear the sound of it hitting the floor from anywhere on the planet. Mostly driven by this:

http://www.joystiq.com/2005/09/26/forbes-xbox-lost-microsoft-4-billion-and-counting/

Microsoft abandoning the xbox original and Sony abandoning backwards compability are really quite similar. Let you can't hold one as the poster boy of gamer-rights and the other as the devil. Keep in mind, Microsoft was still profitable with the original xbox where as Sony in 2008 actually lost $1 billion dollars.

Completely logical argument. Seriously, everyone knows you buy next-gen hardware to play last-gen games. Why, I'm sure there's at least 0.003% of ps3 phat gamers who own a PS3 and 0 PS3 games. Using it solely as a PS2 emulation device and whom only play PS2 games.

Clearly, Sony was jealous of those 0.003% not purchasing any ps3 games allowing them to recover their loss-of-profit on manufacturing costs of the ps3 phat and enraged by the choice of this extremely small population, decided to forever remove backward compatability. This of course, had nothing to do with the fact that they were losing money on every ps3 made and attempting to reduce hardware costs so they at least broke-even on hardware costs or ideally made money(See: Wii).

There's a bit of difference between respecting customers and losing money on all hardware sold to the point that your giving billions of dollars; at some point, you have to draw a bottom line. I think this might be the point for most companies:

http://kotaku.com/#!5018899/sony-lost-over-3-billion-to-ps3-cost-pricing-imbalance

In just two years, while the ps3 was out with backward compatiblity, Sony lost more than 3 billion dollars. Even to a large company like Sony, that was a LOT of money.

Can you imagine Microsoft just burning away 4 billion dollars solely to continue to support the xbox 1 support well into the xbox 360 lifetime? Hardly. Microsoft dropped support for the original xbox so fast, you could hear the sound of it hitting the floor from anywhere on the planet. Mostly driven by this:

http://www.joystiq.com/2005/09/26/forbes-xbox-lost-microsoft-4-billion-and-counting/

Microsoft abandoning the xbox original and Sony abandoning backwards compability are really quite similar. Let you can't hold one as the poster boy of gamer-rights and the other as the devil. Keep in mind, Microsoft was still profitable with the original xbox where as Sony in 2008 actually lost $1 billion dollars.

I don't see in your post what PS3 backwards compatibility had to do with them losing 3 billion dollars - not in the link either. From what I read it was just initial costs and pricing the PS3 at a loss.

If your business model isn't profitable maybe it's time to re-evaluate that business model. See: Nintendo, and the success of the Wii.

Also, Microsoft was in the red with their gaming division well into the 360 lifespan. I'd love to see a source showing the Xbox made money.

I don't see in your post what PS3 backwards compatibility had to do with them losing 3 billion dollars - not in the link either. From what I read it was just initial costs and pricing the PS3 at a loss.
They lost money because they designed a console that cost over $800 to build and sold it for a several hundred dollar loss each.

as i always say, did they really lose money? how much do they sell the crappy hitachi 80gb hard drive to their other departments for, 150-200$ when it costs the same model on newegg 50$ or less?

what about 3 years+ of selling bluerays at 10$ to other departments when the costs were 25 cents or less? then saying its billions in losses, when its fake losses?

i dont believe any of sonys claims of losing money on consoles... other than using it as a giant tax write off

They also shut down Lik-Sang.com! :(
"Lik-Sang.com Out of Business due to Multiple Sony Lawsuits"
Furthermore, Sony have failed to disclose to the London High Court that not only the world wide gaming community in more than 100 countries relied on Lik-Sang for their gaming needs, but also Sony Europe's very own top directors repeatedly got their Sony PSP hard or software imports in nicely packed Lik-Sang parcels with free Lik-Sang Mugs or Lik-Sang Badge Holders, starting just two days after Japan's official release, as early as 14th of December 2004 (more than nine months earlier than the legal action). The list of PSP related Sony Europe orders reads like the who's who of the videogames industry, and includes Ray Maguire (Managing Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd), Alan Duncan (UK Marketing Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd), Chris Sorrell (Creative Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd), Rob Parkin (Development Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited), just to name a few."

as i always say, did they really lose money? how much do they sell the crappy hitachi 80gb hard drive to their other departments for, 150-200$ when it costs the same model on newegg 50$ or less?

what about 3 years+ of selling bluerays at 10$ to other departments when the costs were 25 cents or less? then saying its billions in losses, when its fake losses?

i dont believe any of sonys claims of losing money on consoles... other than using it as a giant tax write off
Sony was losing $200-300 dollars a console. You do the math.

Oh please, these assholes have targeted kids before. This is entirely believable. All you have to do is somehow piss them off and they'll ruin an 11 year old if they want to. They'll gather personal info, send things to their house, make them change their phone numbers, and so on.

These people are criminal garbage, not crusaders for justice.

+1

Completely agree.

BC is a marketing tool used to get people to buy the new console early on when few games are available on the native console.

Once enough consoles are out there, BC is less of a factor in sales and ends up being an expense.

All 3 gaming companies do this.

Really, REALLY tired of this argument.

First BC was not the Loss leader for the PS3. It was mostly blu-ray manufacturing that was the problem. As the cost of manufacture for blu-ray has declined, so has the cost of producing the ps3 accordingly. While the original emotion engine hardware might of been a cost, the later software emulation definitely was not. Either way, there was a compromise that Sony completely ignored (actually several).

First - Not everyone cares about BC, however some do. Simple resolution? Create an additional sku. One that is priced to sell to those that don't care (the current line) and one that is priced to sell to those that demand BC. I paid $600 for my original 60gb PS3, and I would do it again in a heartbeat if mine went down to maintain hardware BC. I also own an 80gb software version for that matter just in case.

Second - The PS3 slim is ugly as shit. It went back to looking like a GD game device. One of the primary reasons I bought the PS3 is because for the first time I had a console that matched my existing AV equipment. I didn't have to hide it in the cabinet like my 360 and wii. Once again, keeping the original 60gb sku perhaps even adding bigger hdds as time went along would have been smart on sony. I know in my immediate circle of friends at least a quarter of them would still gladly pay premium dollar for the original ps3 should they need to replace theirs. I am positive there are plenty of other people who feel the same way. This could obviously be the same sku as the first, one "uber" console that does everything.

Last - Keep other OS in it. I mean frankly it isn't that big a deal if sony is already making a hefty profit on the hardware. Then they can let this (insignificant) percentage of people who are determined to have these features get what they want, while keeping the majority of people who are happy with less features and a lower price happy.

End result? Everyone is happy, everyone wins and Sony doesn't piss everyone off. Why the fuck they couldn't be bothered to hire someone intelligent enough to realize this is beyond me.

That said, once again no access to PSN and therefore my netflix for most of the night last night..Thanks a fucking lot Anon...:mad: On the bright side, it forced me to play some more Sc2 and finally motivated me to get my stream going..so not a complete loss I suppose. Still pisses me off though

It is completely sony's fault that PSN is down.

Mainly because they were stupid enough to go after a hacker that was probably costing them a few thousand dollars in revenue. They are probably going to spend millions on this legal campaign.

Will it stop people from doing what this guy did in the future regardless of the outcome, probably not.

Did they piss off the largest, and probably the most willing to fuck with something like sony, hacking group in america? yes.

Don't connect to PSN, but try accessing Netflix on the old firmware.

Thanks for playing.

This was an agreement negotiated by Netflix and Sony. As service providers these companies have the right to discontinue your service if you violate their Terms of Service. Once again it doesn't have anything to do with modifying a console you own. You can still modify your console to your hearts content and use it as a homebrew/other OS box.

PS the requirements are no different from XBox which requires a GOLD Live membership for use of Netflix and also bans users for hacking their consoles.

Who said anything about connecting to their shitty network? People just want to modify their consoles, and not get Ninja lawyers after you. If Sony is going after the people who create these hacks, then they obviously wanna control "YOUR" hardware. The question is, are we buying or renting? It's "MY" hardware, and I'll do what I want with it.

They are going after people that are releasing trade secrets, and selling hacked hardware. Unless I've missed something they haven't gone after Joe Blow who hacked his own console, they've only banned him from the PlayStation Network.

Long-time lurker, but I registered just to point the following out:

The same arguments against consumer choice were made by the big telco's (traditional land line phone service companies like AT&T) before they were forced by the Government to accept any handsets consumers wanted to use on their network.

Looking at some of the old telephones that were available, it's surreal (and relevant to this discussion) of how bereft they were of any features while still at absurd price points regardless (for the time); that is hardly the situation we are blessed with now - we can use any wired handset we choose so long as it fits in with Government regulations (as opposed to telco regulations).

It's actually pretty shocking that the Government hasn't already cracked down on wireless carriers seeing as more and more people are ditching their landline for a cell.

Back on point, I *do* like Sony, but this was probably a bad move on their part. Their mandate to protect us from cheaters in netplay probably doesn't warrant legal action against people modding their machines. The piracy aspect of it, as there is little doubt this is why people mod, is the only real reason Sony is pursuing this avenue at all - I have no illusions of Sony's "commitment," to protect me from cheaters in multiplayer - they're clearly cracking down on what they see as piracy (and they're definitely right from this angle).

Despite this, they should have handled it differently. The Microsoft way of doing things was probably the correct one (ban them from the network) - to my knowledge, they haven't gone after anyone with lawsuits because they show you how to hack your 360; at the very least, nothing high profile enough to cause such an e-storm backlash of this magnitude.

This was an agreement negotiated by Netflix and Sony. As service providers these companies have the right to discontinue your service if you violate their Terms of Service. Once again it doesn't have anything to do with modifying a console you own. You can still modify your console to your hearts content and use it as a homebrew/other OS box.
How do you violate TOS by not upgrading?

Guess you didn't think that one through.

PS the requirements are no different from XBox which requires a GOLD Live membership for use of Netflix and also bans users for hacking their consoles.
It doesn't have anything to do with modifying a console you own.

Mainly because they were stupid enough to go after a hacker that was probably costing them a few thousand dollars in revenue. They are probably going to spend millions on this legal campaign.

Will it stop people from doing what this guy did in the future regardless of the outcome, probably not.

Did they piss off the largest, and probably the most willing to fuck with something like sony, hacking group in america? yes.

No, it isn't. Quit trying to assert the asinine belief that Anon's actions are justified. There are plenty of ways to attack sony that only causes Sony problems without screwing the rest of us over. Good for you if it doesn't affect you personally, but you wouldn't see me here supporting anon bombing the Live network despite my hate for it. I rather resent this attitude from people that just because some of us actually use a Ps3 that we somehow deserve to get shafted in this little dispute.

As to any comment that you might think of to the lines of "Well use your 360 for netflix then", uh no. I am not going to pay $60 out of my pocket to access a service I pay for when I get access to it free on my PS3. Besides it is RRODed for the 5th time and frankly I am tired of sending the damn thing back to MS. Nothing I want to play on it anymore anyhow so it can collect dust for all I care.

No, it isn't. Quit trying to assert the asinine belief that Anon's actions are justified. There are plenty of ways to attack sony that only causes Sony problems without screwing the rest of us over.

Some people will blame Anonymous for this but because their actions get buried in most non-tech news cycles most people will blame Sony. It might annoy some sony customers but no more than when animal activists used to chain themselves to the front doors of World of Leather.

The point of this activism is to disrupt their business. If this continued for a few weeks or months I'm sure Sony would lose more than a few customers.

I can assure you that more than "thousands of dollars" of revenue would lost. Look what happened with the PSP, rampant piracy drove game development for that platform back so far it never fully recovered. Sony can't just sit back and let the platform get exploited, it hurts them, hurts the paying customers, and hurts developers.

It is ridiculous to think that companies should just roll over and give up because of some hacker threats.

Back