If you got a free copy with your overpriced RTX card, now you know why...
Actually they didn't honor that

I got my card with all it's late delivery before they started bundling it with games.

And the message was basically f*ck you, you purchased that 1300€ card too soon.

Also they just included Metro Exodus too, but only from this week onwards.
If you got the card (or any RTX really) last month (or God forbid earlier) you're out of luck for Metro.

Not entirely fair... it's made by Bioware.
Question is who calls the shots on how things are done.

The game feels like it had more substance, but things had to be cut so it can be sold later.

Gotta remember the paid for Prothean DLC that was shipped with Mass Effect 3 on DVD

Not entirely fair... it's made by Bioware.
Bioware died with the B team that did all the work on ME3's multiplayer and, apparently, built everything but facial animations for Anthem on a game called Andomeda... With no Kevin Sorbo... Honestly, has anyone noticed how close to Andromeda that this game actually is? Six years spent drawing a jungle and no time on quality control. Jesus, on my PC it's a bug riddled, immersion breaking shit festival. I got, maybe 60-70 hours deep and all that's left are a bunch of masterwork and legendary drops that still don't work right. Content is almost non-existent and I've explored all the world has to offer. It should have been a 30 dollar title.

The Bioware of old is long dead. I don't know why people keep trying to say otherwise.

Question is who calls the shots on how things are done.

The game feels like it had more substance, but things had to be cut so it can be sold later.

Gotta remember the paid for Prothean DLC that was shipped with Mass Effect 3 on DVD

They both share the blame. We can debate the 6+ years in development all we want, but what they showed at E3 is vastly vastly different than what we got at this point. And the indifference of the Dev's on the major problems is shocking.....all I know is if my Game was completely up shit creek like this one is....I might not take off a couple of weeks for my brothers wedding and actually say that in a livestream.

Is this a new low in game quality, with multiple game consoles crashing? I'm sure without even researching that other games have probably crashed consoles before, but this seems like a bigger step down.

I remember when consoles were just starting to get updates through the internet, and people were worried that the quality would degrade since they could ship early and fix bugs later.

Bioware died with the B team that did all the work on ME3's multiplayer and, apparently, built everything but facial animations for Anthem on a game called Andomeda... With no Kevin Sorbo... Honestly, has anyone noticed how close to Andromeda that this game actually is? Six years spent drawing a jungle and no time on quality control. Jesus, on my PC it's a bug riddled, immersion breaking shit festival. I got, maybe 60-70 hours deep and all that's left are a bunch of masterwork and legendary drops that still don't work right. Content is almost non-existent and I've explored all the world has to offer. It should have been a 30 dollar title.

The Bioware of old is long dead. I don't know why people keep trying to say otherwise.

I was wondering why Anthems facial animations looked oddly familiar, holy shit are they bad and inconsistent.

I was wondering why Anthems facial animations looked oddly familiar, holy shit are they bad and inconsistent.
Nick, I totally noticed that as well. A lot of the facial animations are almost as bad as the wooden ones in Andromeda. There are a couple people they focused on in the game, the rest are no better than Andromeda with better flesh tones. It's amazing this didn't get the same level of hatred... Oh, wait... It is being hated upon even worse. Gotta hand it to EA, with a couple (and I mean like 1-3) B team devs they managed to pretty much fix most of the broken Andromeda issues. That game is rather playable now, not perfect or great, but playable. Anthem has the ENTIRE A Team, whatever was left of the B Team and god knows how much other talent from across EA it launched in a broken state. Now, EA has paired down the dev team on Anthem to the "Post Launch" team. So, expect that most of the people that built the core, broken game to be gone already. They likely put what's left of Montreal's B Team on post launch content and bug fixes.

BioArts Eadmonton is on to making their next broken title Dragon Ass: The Failure. Then sometime in the next decade we may see another Mass Effect flop...

How many stories have we seen about Anthem or BFV in the past 5 months that were critical of the devs? I wish some of these articles would just focus on EA for a change, I think Bioware or (to a lesser extent) DICE going downhill is more a symptom of EA being a toxic place to work. Rushed deadlines and tons of unpaid overtime = the good developers all eventually leave.

Typical EA crapfest it appears.

I dunno, it seems EA really pushed the envelope it appears. They usually release buggy / BETA games, but this one appears to be especially bad.

It's like they were testing just how far they could push their Early-Access-as-Retail model. No, that's not really an official thing for them, but it might as well be as their Games-as-a-Service is essentially early access.

I dunno, it seems EA really pushed the envelope it appears. They usually release buggy / BETA games, but this one appears to be especially bad.

It's like they were testing just how far they could push their Early-Access-as-Retail model. No, that's not really an official thing for them, but it might as well be as their Games-as-a-Service is essentially early access.
That's a good point. A field test. If it doesn't catch on, they drop it like a bad habit. If it does, and it starts making money they know they now have another platform they need to clone the shit out of to make more money.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
There's a gem in here. I picked it up and honestly enjoy the in-game parts a lot. I love the mobility based shootybang, it's a blast.
But man, they really did ship it too early. There's just so much which needs more time in the oven. I assume this is EA killing the studio, intentionally or not. 2 months more, and they could have fixed almost all the glaring problems. For a game 6 years in development, that's a damn shame.

I still hit the dailies for some fun, because I really do love my little whirling ball of death in yoga pants (Interceptor).

The biggest video game sales holiday is Christmas. The second biggest is Easter. Guess which one of those you miss if you spent two more months fixing things?

I like the game, but its a trainwreck at the same time
I've hit a lot of bugs, and server disconnections etc

I still enjoy it though. Just hoping they patch out some of the major things soon and it'll make it a whole lot better
Visually its awesome looking

EA milks every franchise and intellectual property they get their hands on. If the Development Studio makes a few games that fail to meet their expectations, they face a threat of shut down. BioWare has Dragon Age: Inquisition, Mass Effect Andromeda, and now Anthem. While they still have a lot of life in them and have brought EA numerous great games, the threat is all too real. I however don't think they are done. EA only has DICE and BioWare left. Although DICE makes the amazing Frostbite engine, they can barely make a Battlefield game anymore. If they shut down BioWare, they would have almost no game library left to sell.

I think what will be more likely is the senior management of BioWare might get the axe.

You are forgetting that EA makes a bunch of sportsball games, like FIFA, Madden, and NBA Live, that sell a ton of copies every year. They are particularly profitable since so many people are willing to buy each years version to get roster updates, while EA only has to do a revamp of the underlying game once or twice per console generation. This steady stream of income allows EA to have the cash to buy out other studios, and then run them into the ground. Unfortunatly, there does not seem to be a good solution to this problem, since the demographic that keeps buying all these sports games for most part doesn't buy other games (aside from the occasional CoD & the like), and thus doesn't care that EA is using their money to ruin other game studios.

like this
Even if you like the game , why is anyone trying white knight or defend this trainwreck for a AAA release "years in development" ?
What thread are you reading? Because I don't see anyone white knighting this game in this one. :cautious:

I really want to love Anthem. Played the alpha and the betas and the demo and now retail, all on PC. The alpha ran flawlessly for me. The first beta caused random BSODs and CTDs. The second beta weekend and the demo weekend still had CTDs but I never saw a BSOD. Retail hit, still getting random CTDs but no bsod yet. The CTDs have stayed consistent, I either get no error message just a CTD or I get a CTD with the dx error in the support thread on Reddit. The crashes are extremely random, I can get them as soon as the game loads to the attempting to connect screen to get the menu all the way to playing for 2hrs and then getting the CTD. I have not been able to play the game longer than 2hrs in one sitting due to CTD.

It may just be a coincidence, but I'm experiencing the same issues on every gaming PC in my house that uses an nvidia graphics card, 1080ti, 1080 and 1070. The gaming PCs in my house that are running RX 590 and Vega 56 have not experienced any of the issues.

like this
Let's look at Bioware's history for a moment. Bioware was purchased by EA in October 2007 (Jan. 2008 is safe). Factor in 18-24 month development cycle + EA influence on what gets made because WE SIGN THE CHECKS.

Success (profit, Huge ROI) -----> Shit (Critically & Commercially or not enough ROI)
----> Anthem (2019)
----> Mass Effect: Andromeda (2017)
----> Dragon Age Inquisition (2014)

***Interesting fact via Google. BioWare founders Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka have retired from the role-playing game studio they founded together in 1995. This news comes just a month after parent company Electronic Arts squashed rumors of the pair's departure from the firm.Sep 19, 2012***

Mass Effect 3 (2012)
Star Wars: TOR (2011)
----> Dragon Age 2 (2011)
Mass Effect 2 (2010)
Dragon Age Origins (2009)
Mass Effect (2007)
----> Jade Empire (2005)
Star Wars: KOTOR (2003)
Neverwinter Nights (2002)
Baldur's Gate II (2000)
Baldur's Gate (1999)

Bioware sucess financially PRE-EA buyout?
85%

Bioware sucesses financially POST-EA buyout?
57%

EA's negative influence is tangible in the quality of product released. This should not be a point of contestation.
If trends continue, that comic of papa EA shooting a failed son in the head will truly extend to Bioware.

Bioware really has a bumpy history after reading it over.

The next few years saw a number of changes in BioWare's corporate status. In November 2005, it was announced that BioWare and Pandemic Studios (itself founded by former Activision employees) would be joining forces, with private equity fund Elevation Partners investing in the partnership. On 11 October 2007, however, it was announced that this new partnership (organized as VG Holding Corp.) had been bought by Electronic Arts.[7] BioWare therefore became a unit of EA, but retained its own branding.

On March 22, 2005, as its first major venture Elevation attempted to purchase Eidos Interactive.[3] However, its bid failed and the video games giant was sold to rival SCi Entertainment.[4] On November 3, 2005, Elevation invested $300 million to create an alliance between video game developers BioWare and Pandemic Studios, making it one of the biggest independent developers in the world. It also invested $100 million in Move, Inc., which operates real estate information services.

So it looks like the path they were on being owned by a company that is just investing in anything they can, wasn't going to be something that would produce wonderful games over time anyways. At least EA dealt with video games primarily.

Someone needs to update that comic for Respawn, it's only a matter of time.

Did you mean to say Respawn, because if so I don't really follow your logic. They recently launched a massive hit of a game, and while we don't know what the lootbox revenue has been like, I imagine its not bad. Why would they be facing the EA chopping block?

Anthem 3 IOT edition: Total house lockdown edition

…… Now that I think about that a little while the lockdown part would suck... having a game that tied into IOT devices would be neat. Lights in the room dim and go bright along with the game. If you have multiple home assistants they intelligently play audio to go along with the game to give even more realism than surround sound. Of course that would require one to actually be willing to put all the IOT devices in their house, but from a immersive standpoint that would be neat. Up until Anthem 3 comes outs takes control of everything, locks all your doors and windows, crashes and permanently locks you inside.

Did you mean to say Respawn, because if so I don't really follow your logic. They recently launched a massive hit of a game, and while we don't know what the lootbox revenue has been like, I imagine its not bad. Why would they be facing the EA chopping block?

Because now EA knows they have a good thing going and they will try everything they can to milk that money machine including screwing with management.

I really want to love Anthem. Played the alpha and the betas and the demo and now retail, all on PC. The alpha ran flawlessly for me. The first beta caused random BSODs and CTDs. The second beta weekend and the demo weekend still had CTDs but I never saw a BSOD. Retail hit, still getting random CTDs but no bsod yet. The CTDs have stayed consistent, I either get no error message just a CTD or I get a CTD with the dx error in the support thread on Reddit. The crashes are extremely random, I can get them as soon as the game loads to the attempting to connect screen to get the menu all the way to playing for 2hrs and then getting the CTD. I have not been able to play the game longer than 2hrs in one sitting due to CTD.

It may just be a coincidence, but I'm experiencing the same issues on every gaming PC in my house that uses an nvidia graphics card, 1080ti, 1080 and 1070. The gaming PCs in my house that are running RX 590 and Vega 56 have not experienced any of the issues.
I like Anthem, but I only love games that don't take a steaming shit on my immersion factor that actually have content in them. This does both of the latter. I would have liked it a lot more if it was truly stable and it didn't feel like the devs never did any Quality checking or balancing prior to launch. Maybe it the pilot skills were in at launch to allow you to feel like the meat under the armor meant something and maybe... ya know... the game they actually showed... not this (still looks good... but) lower resolution version of their ultra high quality original game. Jesus the original imagery was breathtaking, looked real, this looks like a video game.

I get all manner of glitches, I get stuck in objects in the open world, I lose all sound for the entire game. When I exit to desktop it alters my entire desktop color scheme, it still CTDs, it looses server connection and you lose all progress and items, the weapons aren't balanced, the loot is fucked, people are getting banned for discovering and using exploits of the game that is PvE by the way... and it's Bioware's damn fault you can gain loot by... hang on a second... farming it in GM3 from chests in the OPEN WORLD. People are getting banned for doing this. They want to fail, clearly, the devs at Bioware have a deathwish

The biggest video game sales holiday is Christmas. The second biggest is Easter. Guess which one of those you miss if you spent two more months fixing things?

There are of course ideal times to launch, and that has to be balanced with the sales utterly cratering from being received as being quite unfinished / incomplete by would-be buyers for those sales windows.

…… Now that I think about that a little while the lockdown part would suck... having a game that tied into IOT devices would be neat. Lights in the room dim and go bright along with the game. If you have multiple home assistants they intelligently play audio to go along with the game to give even more realism than surround sound. Of course that would require one to actually be willing to put all the IOT devices in their house, but from a immersive standpoint that would be neat. Up until Anthem 3 comes outs takes control of everything, locks all your doors and windows, crashes and permanently locks you inside.

Oh god, what have we done !?!

edit:Been wondering what people would follow RGB with. We just stumbled upon it. :)

Honestly, I am a bit skeptical of the story. I wonder if anyone on this forum has had their PS4 or XB1 crash. Not saying it hasn't happened, but as much as we play both consoles in this house, neither one needs an excuse to crash.

I also wonder how many people bashing the game have actually tried it. I will admit, when the reviews started hitting, I told a few people I heard it was shitty and wouldn't be buying it. I was bummed, because my wife and I were looking for a decent loot shooter to play after finally getting tired of Borderlands 2. After pouting for a little while, I decided to check out some non-mainstream reviews, which cast the game in a much different light. Since I'm such a cheapskate when it comes to games... usually waiting 6 months or more to buy... I figured I'd saved enough over the years, and decided to take a chance with this one. I ended up getting my wife and me a PC copy at $42 each through Eneba. We've been playing it ever since with no significant bugs to speak of. The only bug I've experienced is a single server disconnect the first time I was in town, during the tutorial. Hardly worth even mentioning. It runs smooth as butter at 1440P on my GTX 1070 / Threadripper 1950 (wife has a 1070 also, and an i7) and is definitely a fun game.

I've seen this with a few games lately, especially with EA games. It seems like all it takes is a bad review or two, and people start coming down on the title like an angry swarm. The same thing happened with Battlefield V and The Division (both of which me and several others in my family have played the shit out of).

Trust me, I hate EA as much as the next guy (still angry at the pay-to-win bullshit they did with SWBF 1 and 2), but I don't think they did that horribly with this one. Nearly every game nowadays has its bugs... especially on PC (just look at the patch history and/or video card driver change logs). This game to me is actually less buggy than the last few PC games I've played at release (I still scream at Killing Floor 2, despite STILL playing it with friends and family). I can't help but feel that this whole stupid hate fest is a combination of 1) people jumping on the hate bandwagon in spite of never actually playing the game, and 2) the boring ass direction games have been taking lately, with most cutting down, or completely leaving out any single player / co-op campaigns.

Did I enjoy the game? Yes
How long did it take to hit the non existent end game? 12-14 hours (20% spent on loading screens)
Bugs or issues? Yes
— Constant server disconnects while playing
— Constant server disconnects after completing level
— Constant server disconnects in town after initial load into game
— Quick play was nearly unplayable, quests would not progress, bosses would not load, could not resurrect team, could not pick up items, could not pickup relics
— Stuck behind doors as when joining certain levels
Did I pay for the game? No
Would I recommend the game? Yes, buy in May when first Raid comes out if game is $30 or under

Honestly, I am a bit skeptical of the story. I wonder if anyone on this forum has had their PS4 or XB1 crash. Not saying it hasn't happened, but as much as we play both consoles in this house, neither one needs an excuse to crash.

I also wonder how many people bashing the game have actually tried it. I will admit, when the reviews started hitting, I told a few people I heard it was shitty and wouldn't be buying it. I was bummed, because my wife and I were looking for a decent loot shooter to play after finally getting tired of Borderlands 2. After pouting for a little while, I decided to check out some non-mainstream reviews, which cast the game in a much different light. Since I'm such a cheapskate when it comes to games... usually waiting 6 months or more to buy... I figured I'd saved enough over the years, and decided to take a chance with this one. I ended up getting my wife and me a PC copy at $42 each through Eneba. We've been playing it ever since with no significant bugs to speak of. The only bug I've experienced is a single server disconnect the first time I was in town, during the tutorial. Hardly worth even mentioning. It runs smooth as butter at 1440P on my GTX 1070 / Threadripper 1950 (wife has a 1070 also, and an i7) and is definitely a fun game.

I've seen this with a few games lately, especially with EA games. It seems like all it takes is a bad review or two, and people start coming down on the title like an angry swarm. The same thing happened with Battlefield V and The Division (both of which me and several others in my family have played the shit out of).

Trust me, I hate EA as much as the next guy (still angry at the pay-to-win bullshit they did with SWBF 1 and 2), but I don't think they did that horribly with this one. Nearly every game nowadays has its bugs... especially on PC (just look at the patch history and/or video card driver change logs). This game to me is actually less buggy than the last few PC games I've played at release (I still scream at Killing Floor 2, despite STILL playing it with friends and family). I can't help but feel that this whole stupid hate fest is a combination of 1) people jumping on the hate bandwagon in spite of never actually playing the game, and 2) the boring ass direction games have been taking lately, with most cutting down, or completely leaving out any single player / co-op campaigns.

If you don't think they did that horribly on this one....I have to question whether YOU have actually played it. This game needed another 6-12 months just for content.....let alone the bugs.

What utterly scares me content wise is....they have never shown a single frame of the Raid.....and based on the strongholds...I'm very very afraid what a "raid" means to them.

If you don't think they did that horribly on this one....I have to question whether YOU have actually played it. This game needed another 6-12 months just for content.....let alone the bugs.
No man... you got me. I'm lying to you. I just figured I'd come in and troll you. You. Specifically. Mission accomplished.

After a few hours of play, I still haven't seen any significant bugs (save for the one server disconnect in town). So far, the biggest irritation has been the inability to truly pause... unless I just haven't figured that out. If I'm playing alone, I don't see why I can't pause. I also don't like the inability to replay the missions. My son wanted to see the tutorial again, but it's pretty dumb that they don't have that option (though I hear they're going to add it).

I'm wondering if the people that are seeing the more serious bugs and/or disconnects are playing online. I rarely play games online, and when I do, it's with people I know and am friends with. So far, it's just been either me playing alone, or playing with my wife. Also, in the ultimate twist of irony... could it be that the console versions are buggier than the PC version?

50 gorillion people can't be wrong though! Battle Royale, the pinnacle of gaming..

Remember when games had no updates and were meticulously tested before pressing to disk/floppy/etc? How funny to see us as beta testers these days.

No man... you got me. I'm lying to you. I just figured I'd come in and troll you. You. Specifically. Mission accomplished.

After a few hours of play, I still haven't seen any significant bugs (save for the one server disconnect in town). So far, the biggest irritation has been the inability to truly pause... unless I just haven't figured that out. If I'm playing alone, I don't see why I can't pause. I also don't like the inability to replay the missions. My son wanted to see the tutorial again, but it's pretty dumb that they don't have that option (though I hear they're going to add it).

I'm wondering if the people that are seeing the more serious bugs and/or disconnects are playing online. I rarely play games online, and when I do, it's with people I know and am friends with. So far, it's just been either me playing alone, or playing with my wife. Also, in the ultimate twist of irony... could it be that the console versions are buggier than the PC version?

My boss has been putting some serious hours into this one. Makes me want to get it but I don't know if he could handle my elite gaming skillz. (kidding I'm in my 40's.)

Anyway my boss who isn't a hard core gamer by any measure has been enjoying this. Came with his 2080 video card. (I helped him spec out and build his system. It's on another thread of mine somewhere. Anyway he loves the thing and the video card helps with his video rendering/formatting/whatever it is.

50 gorillion people can't be wrong though! Battle Royale, the pinnacle of gaming..

Remember when games had no updates and were meticulously tested before pressing to disk/floppy/etc? How funny to see us as beta testers these days.
Yeah... it does suck. I mentioned Killing Floor 2, which was actually released as a beta. Eons later, it's still buggy AF. It's still a fun game, but man.

I think I tend to be a little more accommodating when it comes to bugs. When you consider the sheer amount of code that goes into games, applications, and operating systems, it's amazing they work as well as they do. Anthem is far from alone in having a buggy release. I teach C and C++ at UCCS and I think it's enlightening to see what one semi-colon or lack of a brace will do to a program. I specifically give my students assignments that force them to reuse their old code, as it's so easy to break something that you've already done. Sure, dev tools have gotten better, but you can only gain so much efficiency via software. The rest is sheer manpower. We've come a long way from 16K to 32K games on NES cartridges to games that are 32GB (or in the case of Anthem, 52GB) in size.

Just to compare the amount bytes in The Legend of Zelda (128K) to Anthem:

Zelda: 131,072 bytes
Anthem: 55,834,574,848 bytes

Until we have reliable AI to build large portions of code, it's only gonna get worse folks....

I don't actually. Bethesda comes to mind in that area (. Also games were MUCH simpler code back then. It is a lot easier to test a couple megs of code than it is gigs of it. Also companies would mail you update disks if you called them. Doom went through many updates.

Often expansions or level packs were a way to get fixes out there as well, and they sold those. So one way to think of it is, remember when you had to pay for an update?

This is one of those cases where "remember the old days" can't directly apply due to apples and oranges kinda thing.

Pretty sad to have it freezing up on consoles on launch..

They need to seriously invest in testers and wait until it's solid.

Imagine a AAA game that launches with no problems..... Now that's imaginary.

God of War and Spider-Man had problems? I thought it was just honeymoon period and cheering.

I would have to disagree. ME3 was still a good game. And do not forget how good Dragon Age is!

But Bioware has brought out 2 fucking shit games in a row. 3 overall shit games if you include SWTOR......I think Biowares time has passed.

Dragon age 2/3 we're garbage, Me3 they had to change the end for due to outrage and gave the citadel dlc as an apology for the most part the game was average with a bad ending, all to give an excuse to kill Shepard off. After Dragon Age origins and ME2 they turned to crap which Bioware was bought out by EA at the end of Dragon Age Origins development ME2 was really really good but it showed the streamlining impact and effect EA had on Bioware.

Why do you think that? They have enough budget for multiple titles at once. A single failure(or even multiple) is not a bankruptcy situation. It will only "be the end" if they fail to sort their house out.
Also keep in mind even Kev Levine and several other stated you can make a game for under 7mill as a AAA title, but online games like destiny and anthem cost significantly more this isn't a small uhhhoohhh this is probably a 30mill or more turd.

Calling it a turd is a stretch. The reviews haven't been great by fans and sites. But really what's been reviewed well? Culture online has turned into Negging so hard it isn't even funny. I no longer give a shit what normal review sites have to say. And fan reviews are just a joke. I wouldn't be surprised to hear of competitors PAYING for people to negative review games/media today.

I should open a company.. "Competitive review services." Where we sell review content based on what the company wants.

Back