Antec TP II 550 watt psu

I've been running my main system with an older ultra x connect 500 watt psu and I know I needed to upgrade this soon. While it still works well enough with this psu and a 20 to 24 pin connector I plan on upgrading the video card. Will the Antec TP II 550 be a good choice for this system?

mobo Asus a8n32- sli deluxe
cpu athlon x2 4200+ 939 @ 2.42
evga 7900 gt ko sc (getting the 7900gtx)
2 gb corsair 3500ll pro @ 220
Maxtor 200gb ata 133
sony dvd burner
SB live (I know, it's old but it still works)
corsair nautilus 500 liquid cooling for the cpu
5 in 1 card usb card reader

I just want to make sure that with this power supply I get can handle the 7900 gtx and likely a 4800+ x2 cpu @ 2.6.

I can get this psu brand new for cheap, but if it doesn't have enough power for what I want, then I need to know.

Thanks

I'm surprised your x-connect works.. lol, mine pooped after about a week or two.. then my x-finity did the same. Yes, the Antec TP550 is an excellent choice. Its about 10x better than the Ultra psu's. If you want modular, look at the Hiper 580w. Its very good for the price.

w1retap said:
I'm surprised your x-connect works.. lol, mine pooped after about a week or two.. then my x-finity did the same.

I'm very surprised too.....It's been running it flawlessly for about a month now. I play lots of games at as high as 1600X1200 and still, the system stays rocks soild. I was sure it wouldn't last this long.....

Anyhow...thanks for the reply.

Any other opinions?

w1retap said:
I'm surprised your x-connect works.. lol, mine pooped after about a week or two.. then my x-finity did the same. Yes, the Antec TP550 is an excellent choice. Its about 10x better than the Ultra psu's. If you want modular, look at the Hiper 580w. Its very good for the price.

I'm surprised you didn't come to the conclusion that something else might be wrong with your computer.

Ultra's sold upwards of 20K units of each the X-Connect and X-Finity 500W and the RMA rate on either of those so far has been less than 2%.

And if you want modular, I discourage the use of a Hiper. Perhaps you're suggesting it because you haven't put one in your machine and had it blow up like your other PSU's, but the Hiper "580W" is actually a re-labeled 550W and the cables are all "missing" a lead. For example: You have a cable that has four pins that connect to the motherboard, but the modular interface only has accomodations for two wires. Hmm......

And is an Antec 10X better? Umm.... Haven't you read about all of those blowing up too??!?

1 said:
I'm very surprised too.....It's been running it flawlessly for about a month now. I play lots of games at as high as 1600X1200 and still, the system stays rocks soild. I was sure it wouldn't last this long.....

Anyhow...thanks for the reply.

Any other opinions?

7900's actually don't consume that much power. With 34A on a single 12V rail, I'd be inclined to think that the X-Connect is going to work just fine... especially if it's lasted this long. ;) Worst thing that can happen: It doesn't work. But why fix what's not broken? If it can't handle the two 7900's and it dies, RMA it and maybe they'll send you an X2 in exchange. ;)

If you want to upgrade for the sake of just having something newer that's going to be rock solid for this and any other upgrades, why don't you give us your budget. I mean, it's be easy to recommend an Enermax Galaxy 1kW to anyone without a budget that wants a modular power supply. ;)

jonnyGURU said:
If you want to upgrade for the sake of just having something newer that's going to be rock solid for this and any other upgrades, why don't you give us your budget. I mean, it's be easy to recommend an Enermax Galaxy 1kW to anyone without a budget that wants a modular power supply. ;)

Well, my budget is pretty flexible. Basically it goes like this:

If I can get a rock soild stable system with x power supply that cost 5$ then that is what I will get. If I would be better off with a 90 or even 200 dollar psu, then I will get that. I honestly don't want to keep using the x connect because I continuously upgrade and I don't want to worry about the PSU. Right now I'm looking for a PSU that can handle my system with a 7900gtx and overclocked 4800+ @ 2.6. I might also get a pair of raid 0 HDDs so I need to keep that in mind.

thanks

Then get an Enermax Galaxy 850W or 1kW.

Seriously. Is there a modular PSU out there with more "gusto?" ;)

jonnyGURU said:
Is there a modular PSU out there with more "gusto?" ;)

Give Topower 5 minutes or so and they'll try and have one for you I'm sure. Key word here is "try." :D

Back