Antec soundscience rockus 60 Day Challenge

HardOCP News

[H] News
The folks at Antec are now offering what they are calling a "risk-free" way to try out the soundscience rockus 3D|2.1 speakers for 60 days. If you don't like them, you can send them back for a full refund. For more information on these speakers, you can see our here.

Here’s how it works: buy a soundscience rockus 3D|2.1 speaker system from our friends at Newegg, Fry’s, Amazon or from our very own Antec store, and if you don’t think they’re a great quality speaker set at an awesome price, return them within 60 days to us for a full refund. No joke.

Anyone have these? I'm intrigued and they are available for $168.70 shipped on Amazon.

The original MSRP was $249.99

I'm still rocking a 7 year old Logitech X-230 2.1 system and have been looking to upgrade for a while.
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-2-Pi...7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1307062309&sr=1-7

I really have nowhere to put the rear speakers for a 5.1 setup so the simulated 3D effect might be nice. It works pretty well with the Creative headphones I have anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Anyone have these? I'm intrigued and they are available for $168.70 shipped on Amazon.

The original MSRP was $249.99

I'm still rocking a 7 year old Logitech X-230 2.1 system and have been looking to upgrade for a while.
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-2-Pi...7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1307062309&sr=1-7

I really have nowhere to put the rear speakers for a 5.1 setup so the simulated 3D effect might be nice. It works pretty well with the Creative headphones I have anyway.

The gist I got from the review here on [H] is the simulated 3d lacked in comparison to the X-Fi (soundcard) 3d function. *shrug*

Sorry, but $170 for a 2.1 is pretty damn stingy.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Frankly, these speakers suffer GREATLY from typical Chinese design philosophy. For starters, the large plastic chrome bezels are hideous. There is also, no doubt, somewhere on these speakers, a bright as hell blue led light that absolutely doesn't allow you to sleep at night within 25 yards of these speakers. In my eyes, the appearance of these speakers do nothing to lend any real value past $40 dollars.

This promotion also smacks of, "too many" units sitting somewhere in some warehouse they want to move.

Speaking of speakers. Anyone else remember when they first plugged in their Klipsch 2.1's and played John Williams "The Imperial March (Darth Vader's Theme)" and where completely and totally fucking blown away?

Yeah, these aren't those.

Eh

2 NS-B2111 on sale at BB for ~65$, a cheap 35w type D amp and any shitty sub sound better than these IMHO.

I'm not going to bad mouth Antec, until I've heard what they have to offer, but I have no interest in a 2.1 sound system.

Antec, if you're listening, put out a 5.1 system, there's a severe lack of competition & innovation in that area, and yes I know of Logitech's new 5,1 system, it's nothing impressive over their last.

WOW for 2.1, I might as just use earphones.

I think you missed the point here. 2.1 is just fine for most things, all it says is that it uses 2 speakers and a sub woofer. My understanding is that they offer pretty damn good performance for a limited amount of space. the below is the H bottom line.

The Bottom Line

If you already use your sound card's software for stereo up-mixing and positional audio cues for gaming purposes, and you are looking for excellent music and movie playback, rockus™ 3D | 2.1 speaker system's wide sound stage, small size, and sharp appearance may be a very good choice for you.

If you have an older or poor quality sound card, and you are relying on a set of speakers to give you a better 3D sound experience in gaming and movies, the rockus™ 3D | 2.1 speaker system is not for you.

If you prefer more analog and headphone connectivity options, and a larger, more feature-rich control pod, then you should definitely consider the Corsair SP2500 speakers instead. Gaming on the Corsair SP2500 system is exemplary and was just a better experience overall comparatively.

That all said, soundscience by Antec has a very good product in the rockus™ 3D | 2.1 speaker system, but there is some hefty competition in this category and price point. We feel as though it is a bit overpriced for a person that uses his PC for gaming primarily. The rockus™ 3D | 2.1 speaker system does shine when it comes to movies and music.

as the price has dropped almost a 1/3 of the introduction price their only real criticism has been largely negated. at $152.42 from amazon and a 60 day money back warranty

I bought these a couple weeks ago, I have them hooked up to an X-fi sound card and they sound as good as my logitech z-5300's. As the review says the control pod sucks, the 3d is a mess and the bass doesn't offer much control.

One complaint I have is that the 1/8 jack on the subwoofer is messed up in my unit where I get a hum/static when I use it. I would have sent them back if it wasn't $15 to ship. The solution for me was to use the RCA's that come with the unit.

I got them from Fry's for about $140 shipped and they were worth it, at $250 not so much.

I was actually in the market for some 2.1 speakers, after my old ones died. Went into fry's and got them for $140 after tax like the guy above. They sound pretty good. The only thing I don't like so far is the volume control doesn't give you an idea of how high the speakers are at.

Back