Antec Sonata or SLK3700 Cooling?

Kido1986

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Mar 10, 2003
Messages
1,180
Hey guys, Im looking to go A64 real soon. When I do, Im gonna get a SLK948 and a 80mm Sunon 38cfm fan for it.

I have a very loud, high airflow case now (Lian PC65B w/ 6 80mms). I want a much quieter system for my A64, but still want adequate CPU OCing temperatures.

How would a Sonata or SLK3700 (basically same case, just Sonata has sound absorbing material in it doesnt it?) w/ 1 120mm silent fan (appx 50 cfm) in and 1 identical out be for cooling it, and keepingy video card at reasonable temps, for some mild OCing.

I'm looking to OC the CPU decent, but the video card won't get a very large OC.
 
Other than the different PSU, the Sonata has it's intake fans behind the HDD rack (not against the front panel), which isn't exactly the best place to put a fan. That's my only sticking point with the case. The SLK3700 has it's intake in the proper place.
 
are you sure the sonata has noise absorbing material in it?
i've seen it at frys and stuff and i dont think it has anything special in it
 
The sonata doesn't have noise absorbing stuff inside when I saw the case in person. It's designed for a more quiet system, so it has rubber grommets to absorb hard drive vibrations. It also uses two 120 mm fans hooked up to a TruePower 380 (which has fan regulation as well).
 
Sonata is one of the quietest case I have heard.
 
The SLK-3700 BQE and the Sonata are more or less the same case. The 3700 has the front fan in a better position, and a weaker PSU. Sonata has thinner metal and an ugly punchout on the sidepanel.

I like the 3700 better... though I never use the front fan hole.
 
Back
Top