Antec Remote Fusion Max

What cpu are you using? I was using a AMD Phenom II x4 925 with a Scythe Ninja fanless cooler and the two 120's kept it plenty cool. I didn't o/c - nor have to u/c. Seemed fine.
Maybe the better question is why is it so hot?

I actually plan on getting one of these cases at some point and modding it to hold 13 drives. It is the largest HTPC case that I've found that still looks like a piece of AV equipment.

I actually plan on getting one of these cases at some point and modding it to hold 13 drives. It is the largest HTPC case that I've found that still looks like a piece of AV equipment.

Why though? You're not combining the HTPC and file server are you? Why the need to have the file server in your living room (assuming thats the reason why you want that AV look)?

Why though? You're not combining the HTPC and file server are you? Why the need to have the file server in your living room (assuming thats the reason why you want that AV look)?

It's really a dumb idea....

No, its not going to do both. I'll have one as a server and another as a media center. I like having all my equipment together in one rack but don't want it to look like I have computers sitting everywhere. What makes it a "really dumb" idea? If I can have adequate cooling, acceptably low noise output, and have all my equipment in one place for a unified system, I fail to see how it is "really dumb."

That sounds cool, they gonna be SSDs?

That sounds cool, they gonna be SSDs?

If I can manage to get everything arranged well enough I'm hoping for 1 SSD and 12 green drives as storage. I have them in a Stacker 810 right now which doesn't look the sleekest. If I get everything measured and it looks like there is no way I can fit them all in the fusion and still get proper cooling installed I'll probably just leave them in the stacker and mod the stacker to look like a huge amp.

No, its not going to do both. I'll have one as a server and another as a media center. I like having all my equipment together in one rack but don't want it to look like I have computers sitting everywhere. What makes it a "really dumb" idea? If I can have adequate cooling, acceptably low noise output, and have all my equipment in one place for a unified system, I fail to see how it is "really dumb."

I personally thought it would be a dumb idea if you were actually combining the server and HTPC together. However I can see how it is a dumb idea if you can' get that setup to be adequately cooled and at a acceptable noise level. Then again, 13 drives do make a bit of a noise

I personally thought it would be a dumb idea if you were actually combining the server and HTPC together.
Yup. That's what my comment was aimed at. Other then drive noise, if you can get general heat and noise levels acceptable then why not? :)

What about a rackmount like solution for the drives something like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816201043, where if you popped off the face plate of the antec you could mount rails like that, obviously loosing the dvd bay. You could probably go 3 drives high by 4 drives wide... ? Then mount a couple extra 120 mm fans, to keep everything cool. Just my 2c

That's a pretty good idea on how to tackle that. I'm still waiting for them to drop in price or find one used. I don't really want to get a $200+ case and start cutting it up. For that much I could just get 2 of the smaller Antec NSK2400's, put all the harddrives in one, put all the gear in the other, and wire the two together.

If you've got enough space you might want to try the Antec 300. It.s got awesome airflow (especially for harddrives) is just as quiet as the Fusion and costs a hellova lot less while looking pretty nifty. I'm picking one up for my server since I'm not all that happy with the old PC case I'm using for it (yeah, the server sits under my HTPC and the look of it is highly distracting).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042

That might work. Even horizontally it would look ok. I think it would fit in the equipment rack like that too.

Back